cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterizing motor home engine

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys I have a 2014 Entegra with a 450 hp Cummins that I'm getting ready to winterize and put in storage for 5 months. I will fill the gas tank and I run the gen for 2 hrs, check batteries, and drive it for 30 min once a month. My question is should I put any additives in the fuel and/or oil? I live in Albuquerque NM so the temps will be moderate but will drop below freezing at night. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
5 REPLIES 5

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Put mine to bed last week but I believe the Onan manual states to start it with load a hour per month. Still working on venting the exhaust out of the garage.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the way farmers do it on their equipment that can last 30-40 years.
"Disconnect the battery, coffee can over exhaust and walk away"

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Store with fuel tank FULL.

Additives: If storing diesel fuel for more than three months, add a BIOCIDE. Biobor JF is a common brand.

If storing summer grade diesel/#2 diesel into below freezing temperatures, add an anti-gel. Walmart carries PS brand anti-gel.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Once to sleep let it sleep is the best advice for any diesel motor. Driving at 30 minutes I doubt will bring both the engine and trans. up to full operating temps and this is a lot worse then just letting it sleep. I'm up her in NY where last winter temps reach -26 for several nights and I we do is let it sleep till spring.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can add a Winter/water additive to the fuel but there should be nothing else necessary.
It is also not necessary to run the genset or the coach for the entire Winter season. Just let it sit and start it up in the Spring. You won't do any harm as long as you run the genset under load and actually drive the coach long enough for everything to come up to temp, it's just not necessary.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?