67 REPLIES 67

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
weathershak wrote:
Bring back the ole P32......NOT!!!!:(

I never will understand why the P32 chassis gets so much flak. There
s loads of them out there, going strong and mine with it's 23 grease fittings (maybe more) goes down the road straight and true and along with it's independent suspension, rides pretty nice for an old gas chassis. With better than 90K miles now, nothing is worn out in the suspension, but given, I did upgrade the coil springs and got rid of the air bags.

I had a P30 and would never own another. I think half the problem is the front wheels being about four feet on center.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
timmac wrote:
427435 wrote:
The video confirms it is based on the BB Chevy motor. They must have bought the tooling or worked out a deal with GM.

The 270 hp rating is for class 7 trucks (GVWR of 33,000 lbs) that are expected to see a pretty heavy duty cycle. I suspect they can easily raise that hp rating for MH usage.

But still for such a heavy motor will the higher cost be worth it, they have only been making the 8.8 since 2011 and that's still rather new on the market, Ford needs to offer a turbo on the V-10 and that will wake it right up..

I'll take the one that delivers the most torque,....and located in the rear.

It must be nice to not have to worry about price.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
timmac wrote:
427435 wrote:
The video confirms it is based on the BB Chevy motor. They must have bought the tooling or worked out a deal with GM.

The 270 hp rating is for class 7 trucks (GVWR of 33,000 lbs) that are expected to see a pretty heavy duty cycle. I suspect they can easily raise that hp rating for MH usage.

But still for such a heavy motor will the higher cost be worth it, they have only been making the 8.8 since 2011 and that's still rather new on the market, Ford needs to offer a turbo on the V-10 and that will wake it right up..

Not everyone wants a diesel, gas can be cheaper by far if you add up the cost to maintain and the cost to buy a diesel motorhome..

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
427435 wrote:

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:

Explorer
Explorer

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a youtube video 6 months ago showing a 8.8 motor, with only 270 HP and 565 LBS of torque using propane..

Note the HP and Torque is not much better than the 3 valve V-10 with the banks power pack system and 5 star tuning..

https://youtu.be/D31df3ZC4ac

FORD V-10 Stock
Type 10-cylinder, 90**ร‚ยฐ V, Single Overhead Cam, 30-valve
Displacement 6.8L (415 CID)
Horsepower (SAE net) 362 @ 4750 rpm
Torque 457 lb.-ft. @ 3250 rpm

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
The 8.8 has been out since late 2011 so it is not new just new to the RV industry.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Not everyone had brake issues and just because you didn't, doesn't mean there wasn't a problem with others....thus the recall!!! I owned a 2004 Fleetwood Terra on the Workhorse chassis. It took two men and a boy, standing on the brakes to get it to stop. I went through the brakes (bled, adjusted, checked for issues) and they still didn't perform well.

Other than noise, my 8.1L engine was a diesel eater in the hills. I think a well built 8.8L mated to an Allison will me a monster. It will give the manufacturers the ability to build big gassers and Ford will be playing catch up for a long time.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Welcome Back!!

Interesting news.

Maybe this is why Ford is bringing the 6 speed tow haul to the F-53 in 2016.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
topflite51 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
What a load of BS. I drove mine for over 5 years with 50,000+ miles and never had any concerns about my brakes. They never felt spongy.
Therein lies the answer, those who put on the miles rarely had problems, those who didn't had problems. Hopefully, AMP and PSI can produce enough chassis' and engines to be price and reliability competitive. Ford needs incentives to get off their respective rear ends and improve their products. Having competition should do just that.

That plus the people that serviced their brakes and flushed the brake fluid on a regular basis also had no problems. In any case, a lot less people had trouble than those that had no issues at all with their brakes.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
What a load of BS. I drove mine for over 5 years with 50,000+ miles and never had any concerns about my brakes. They never felt spongy.
Therein lies the answer, those who put on the miles rarely had problems, those who didn't had problems. Hopefully, AMP and PSI can produce enough chassis' and engines to be price and reliability competitive. Ford needs incentives to get off their respective rear ends and improve their products. Having competition should do just that.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
KilroyGuy wrote:
Takata made the shrapnel-loaded air bags, but the car manufacturers are responsible for the recall. Anyone who drove an early Workhorse chassis knew that the brakes felt spongy and weird and stopping distances were increased. Several years passed before Workhorse initiated the recall.

What a load of BS. I drove mine for over 5 years with 50,000+ miles and never had any concerns about my brakes. They never felt spongy. Then I got brand new brake calipers all of the way around for free and the new brakes work fine also. The coach stopped fine every time, before the recall, even when traveling through the Western mountains, which is where we take most of our trips.
Some people feel that a recall means that EVERY single vehicle has the problem, which is just ignorance on their part. Not every Ford burned up because of the cruise control problem even tho it affected the F53 chassis and thousands of other vehicles. The same goes with the WH brake recall. There were more happy users than there were users affected by the brake problem. The same goes for every recall on every vehicle that has ever been built.

KilroyGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Takata made the shrapnel-loaded air bags, but the car manufacturers are responsible for the recall. Anyone who drove an early Workhorse chassis knew that the brakes felt spongy and weird and stopping distances were increased. Several years passed before Workhorse initiated the recall.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
KilroyGuy wrote:
I'm not sure why there is so much excitement about this. Workhorse has never been a "strength" in the RV business. First the hidden brake problems that affected almost everything they built and probably caused accidents. Then they backed out of the business when things got bad, leaving parts availability an issue. I'm not necessarily a Ford guy, but at least we have been able to count on them for over 30 years.
Workhorse didn't hide there brake problem or did they cause it! Bosch a sub contractor was responsible for the brake problem. And Bosch stepped up and took care of the problem. Bosch put new brakes on my coach free of charge before the recall was done due to I was going to take a trip to AZ. and I was worried about my old brakes! That's customer service and it needs to be talked about! I've been RVing since 1976 and have both owned Workhorse and Ford Chassis and I prefer Workhorse over Ford hands down. And my obsolete big block Chevy in my Workhorse out performed the Ford Triton V-10 that I owned prior to the Workhorse! At least my spark plugs haven't popped out of the block on my Chevy. And, Workhorse didn't back out of business! Chevy no longer needed there services because they didn't have a engine that could pass EPA requirements that could be used in a motorhome! So Workhorse went on and built Chassis for UPS package vans.