cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Working in winter location

golfoh1
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to figure how to keep everything going if working in a winter zone and the temperatures drop to 25 degree. Anyone have experience with this. How to have water and just staying warm and keep things from freezing up.
10 REPLIES 10

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
We survived sub-zero temps for many weeks over the last Winter. Having a Bus Conversion with diesel heat made this a non-issue except for the $700 worth of fuel required to keep the diesel heat running all day for nearly 3 months.
Would I ever try this in a propane coach? Not a chance. I nearly froze to death in my 1st RV (propane) when the temps dropped into the teens.

Not sure why diesel or propane would matter. We've had ours down to -5F for a few days and the propane furnce did just fine. As mentioned, it will be expensive but very doable. At that point it's about how many btu's your furnace puts out not the fuel source. We were going thru a 30# tank per day.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I keep everything on during the winter when I'm not down in AZ. My coach has basement heat and I don't worry much unless it gets below 25* then i winterize the coach.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We survived sub-zero temps for many weeks over the last Winter. Having a Bus Conversion with diesel heat made this a non-issue except for the $700 worth of fuel required to keep the diesel heat running all day for nearly 3 months.
Would I ever try this in a propane coach? Not a chance. I nearly froze to death in my 1st RV (propane) when the temps dropped into the teens.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are RVers who have some good hints on RVing in the winter cold temperatures:

Gone With The Wynns Blog - Winter RVing
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
25F shouldn't be an issue as long as you have the furnace on and it's just dipping to 25F at night. There will typically be enough residual heat off the unit to keep the water pipes unfrozen.

It's when you get down into the teens and contionus 24/7 freezing that you need to take precautions. In this case, do use the propane furnace. The duct work usually goes thru the underbelly where the water tank is and a little heat will bleed off to keep the tank above freezing.

Single digits and colder is when you really need to take steps.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to his other post, yea, duplicate, he is looking at Grand Canyon area.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
What part of the country are we talking?
Is it occasional 25 like parts of Florida or days below 25 like parts of Virginia and North Carolina.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we travel in the Winter we keep our fresh water tank topped off close to full at all times. We only hook up the hose to shore water to top off our tanks. If it is expected to stay at 25 or below, we put a 100 Watt incandescent bulb in the wet compartment using a thermostatically controlled outlet and a mechanic's trouble light shield. This keeps our pump and water lines from freezing.
For heat we never use the furnace unless we want a quick blast of heat for some reason. We use an electric blanket, electric space heaters, as well as our roof top heat pumps. If it is going to get below about 32 degrees, we use a portable internal heat pump that is not affected by outside temperatures. This has kept us warm to single digit temps below zero. We keep a dash fan blowing to keep the windshield clear since we use a curtain to close off the cockpit instead of the pull around drape.
We prefer to travel in the Winter and have camped in the Grand Canyon in January and many other places where the snow can get deep. Our dog loves the snow and we love not having to fight the crowds, which is one of the reasons we leave Florida during the cooler months.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots and lots of propane!

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is warm for my Foretravel. Single digits is where I start to take some extra measures. Depends on your coach though.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts