Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellow stains from suction cups shower walls

Rolling_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
Hi There

Hoping someone can help with this. We placed several baskets and a small suction mirror on our shower walls which are white platic.
Upon removing these items to clean the walls and shower tub the suction cups have left a perfect yellow circle behind which I cannot remove.

I have tired neat bleach, hydrogen peroxide, soft scrub, scrubbing bubbles, nothing seems to work. Even the area where the shower curtain drapped on to the tub floor has gone a litle off colour too, it is as if the area where no light of air has circulated the plastic has discoloured.

Can anyone tell me how to get these yellow stains off please.

Thanks for any ideas I am sure many of you must have had the same issue.

Julea
13 REPLIES 13

tessa25
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the explanation. White plastic, in the absence of oxygen, turns yellow. All you have to do is leave the area uncovered for a month and it will "bloom" (turn white). Bleach removes oxygen so no bleach on white plastic.
Palomino Gazelle G150

Rolling_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
BCbounders

Yes I agree about the sun, think it is going to be the only way, it has been over 2 weeks now since I removed all the baskets and the yellow spots are very very slowly fading away, not sure if they will ever go and I won't know as we have sold the camper which leaves our company in 2 days time.

Thanks again for all your replies

Julie

bcbounders
Explorer
Explorer
Julea,

Hopefully the continued exposure to the sun will end up solving your problem. But that "yellowing" sounds to me like it could be caused by a high iron content in the water. Since it tends to pool up at the base of the curtain (and probably also around the outside edge of the suction cups holding things to the walls), it gave the iron in the water time to stain the plastic/fiberglass of the shower.

Are you in (or do you travel through) an area that has a high iron content in the water? Or how old is your RV? It's possible you're getting iron/rust from your water heater tank. We had a problem with that just before our water heater failed... started seeing yellowing of our whites in the laundry.

I'm not sure it won't damage the shower surround... but maybe some CLR or some other rust removal product would get it out? Especially if you had a way to allow the treatment to sit for a while and penetrate into the stain.

Best of luck!

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the description it's not a stain but areas that have not been sun bleached or in other words shadows. Isn't much you can do beyond resurfacing the walls and tub. Maybe one other contractor services that can repaint a fiberglass tub or shower enclosure.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

nwrandski
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there. While I haven't had to address these types of stains, it has always been trial and error with me. It might be worth trying denatured alcohol - available at hardware stores. It's excellent at cleaning glass, so it might be an option. No idea if it will work though. Good luck.
Tim & Cindy
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
We very much enjoy our travels and meeting new people
Both still working FT - on the road when we can be
Former Army (7 Years) and Persian Gulf Veteran

See you out there!

Rolling_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Again

Thank you for your replies I have tried all the above with no luck. Like most RV shower areas there is a sky light above it, it is the areas where the sun /light was not getting through that have been affected.
I am trying to call the supply of the shower as Lance had no clue what to use and had never heard of this problem. I am sure thinking back to 2005 when we owned another RV with white walls in the shower I had the same problem I think..... but cannot remember how I solved it. Now that all the suction baskets have ben removed for nearly a week the yellow circles are fading a little now light is back on them.
I continue to search the internet for a solution as the manufacture of the shower goes to voicemail.

Thanks again

Julea

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Polishing compound available at auto parts stores.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Be careful with that cleaner from the dollar store. I bought it in a spray bottle. Come to find out 'after' I applied it that the bottle was a CONCENTRATE. Had to run and wash it off to prevent etching.

Who the heck puts a concentrate in a spray bottle?

Now that is funny.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with that cleaner from the dollar store. I bought it in a spray bottle. Come to find out 'after' I applied it that the bottle was a CONCENTRATE. Had to run and wash it off to prevent etching.

Who the heck puts a concentrate in a spray bottle?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the area exposed to daylight?

I 2nd the awesome cleaner from the dollar store. Try the CLR and the detergent. It's really good stuff.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bleach and baking soda. Mix to make a smooth paste. That mixture will take any stain off.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Keeper's Friend is a mild acid powder which I've used in the past for some yellow spots in our shower. We had a floor mat, but it sounds a little different from yours. On ours, the sun would shine through the cracks in the floor mat and yellowed the tub. Bar Keepers Friend worked for us to get rid of most of it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Try Magic Eraser with a little Awesome cleaner from the dollar store.
Be very careful with the Awesome cleaner as it is harsh.

Pogoil.