cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You never know who may park next to you at WalMart

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is sort of an interesting story about a guy in a 1978 Volkswagen camper staying at a WalMart in Dunedin, FL.
Van Man
55 REPLIES 55

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
If Daniel Norris were to read this thread I think he would get a big giggle out of it.

I thought RV'ers were more of the 'let live' type, I guess some are not.

MM.

That seems to sum things up. After thirteen years doing this I still have days when I just have to roll my eye's in disgust!
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
If Daniel Norris were to read this thread I think he would get a big giggle out of it.

I thought RV'ers were more of the 'let live' type, I guess some are not.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My point was HE IS GONE!!!! I also have never seen shoppers at Wallys enter the store by the dumpsters. Why not let people live the way they want? Not by what you want.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
Albiet private property a few phone calls to the authorities from surrounding neighbors and/or shoppers that Walmart was allowing him to 'live' there would have ended the whole situation.

Perhaps true.

But the authorities did NOT kick him out. Walmart did NOT kick him out. And again, the authorities INSTRUCTED him to go to Walmart and park.

So what is it to you? I get you don't like it - but it's not up to YOU to decide. Everyone who had a legitimate say in the matter (police, walmart, neighbors, shoppers, him, his family, his employer) were OK with it. There was no conflict - he was allowed to stay in the Walmart parking lot for the duration. There was no problem - he did not bother anyone during his stay, he did not create a scene, he did not attack women (who are quite capable of dealing with people without being protected by 70+ year old men by the way), he did not piss all over and make a mess, he did not dumpster dive.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
During the Winter in Florida, the Walmarts, Sam's club, Home Depot, large Hospitals, are all loaded with RV's "camping out" in the parking lots. They range from Class A, Class B's and C's as well as converted buses. Some people spend a few days and then head to the next Walmart. Within a ten mile radius of my house I have six Walmart Supercenters and two Sams clubs and there are always several RV's in their lots, especially during the Winter and Spring. Many RV'rs travel coast to coast stay at Walmarts when it is allowed.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199 wrote:

So all RVers travel to Florida in the winter in a non-self contained unit and live behind a Walmart near the dumpsters so long that every body in the store calls them Van Man and thinks they are homeless?

This guy spends all day at the training center, which has showers and rest rooms, as well as facilities that provide him with all he needs.
Then he leaves there each evening and drives to where he parks to fix dinner, read, and go to sleep. He does not spend all day in the parking lot, but the fact that he spends the nights there really bothers you. Have you looked in a mirror to figure out why this man's personal life bothers you so much. He is a success, has met his goals, and needs nothing from anyone else.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Paint it anyway you want the guy's an idiot. Walmart parking lots are NOT for people to LIVE in them period.

Add to the fact that he supposedly HAS money to stay in an appropriate place just adds to the fact he's got problems. Don't care what he does for a living I wouldn't want him living in a parking lot near me.

Just saying, tired of people giving high fives to people living in a parking lot. You want to go off the grid? There's thousands of acres in the mountains and/or remote rural areas for doing that. Not in a public parking lot.:R

Exactly. The guy is living the life of a homeless person and is doing so by choice. Just like many others. Hopefully the manager of that Walmart who has been so nice to let him stay there, will see this news story and go kick his rear out of the parking lot.
Did you read the part of him starting his van and going to spring training camp?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Paint it anyway you want the guy's an idiot. Walmart parking lots are NOT for people to LIVE in them period.

Add to the fact that he supposedly HAS money to stay in an appropriate place just adds to the fact he's got problems. Don't care what he does for a living I wouldn't want him living in a parking lot near me.

Just saying, tired of people giving high fives to people living in a parking lot. You want to go off the grid? There's thousands of acres in the mountains and/or remote rural areas for doing that. Not in a public parking lot.:R

Exactly. The guy is living the life of a homeless person and is doing so by choice. Just like many others. Hopefully the manager of that Walmart who has been so nice to let him stay there, will see this news story and go kick his rear out of the parking lot.

Try to keep up and read all of the posts. This was last year. Since then he has traveled all over in his CLASS B camper to the West Coast and back. He had surgery for thyroid cancer and he is doing fine. He was picked up by the Detroit Tigers and is now in Spring training in Lakeland, FL. He still has the van and could care less what you or others think of him. He is part of the 40 man Tigers roster and has pitched in, and won, two games so far.
You never read the original article completely and if you did you never understood what was going on in his mind. His choice is to live isolated because on the pitcher's mound he is alone. He is not living the life of a homeless person. He is living a very structured life that you will never understand. You have chosen to "profile" him without having the slightest idea of what he is doing and how it enhances his career. Some people obviously get it, and you are not one of them.
He was staying exactly where the POLICE instructed him to stay and the Walmart manager had no problem with it.
You really should get over your GOD complex and just accept that some people like their personal freedoms that we have in the USA and will never conform to your idea of the way people should live and behave.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
He is Not dumpster diving
The article never said he was
He likes to be alone
Being parked by the dumpster
Let's him be alone
Away from the parking lot traffic

Couldn't he be just as alone at an RV park or campground? I'm sure the dumpster area of a 24 hour Walmart is an as secluded as you may think.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loretta Lynn's Coach parked for a few hours at local Wally World a few years ago.
I met several of her crew in the store. they walked up and just started talking. I wondered if they thought they knew me from somewhere.
She must have stayed in the Coach.
I hope to catch one ,of her shows, hopefully this year, at her Ranch.
Several, of the Shows' Coaches stop, at the particular Wal Mart.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
So everybody living in a car because they can't afford a house is no longer homeless as they have a home?

Read the article you posted. The guy is living like a homeless person by choice. If that town were to do a homeless count he would get counted as homeless.

Does a VW Westfalia look like just a car to you? I mean it has a stove, bed, the top pops up to give extra headroom. Have you ever heard of a Class B RV?
His permanent home is in Tenn and during Spring training he lives in his camper, much like all RV'rs do that travel South for the Winter.

So all RVers travel to Florida in the winter in a non-self contained unit and live behind a Walmart near the dumpsters so long that every body in the store calls them Van Man and thinks they are homeless?

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
The negativity on this thread is a trip. LOL

1. He chooses to live in a van as his investment money manager allots him $800 a month living expenses.
(sic: Investment manager)

2. His lifestyle is free and easy and is his RE-CREATION from the tense and pressured lifestyle of major league baseball.
(sic: Re-Creation, briefly to "recreate" oneself internally)

3. Walmart also probably likes him next to the rear dumpster as a additional point of store security.

4. He is not very well likely to rush from his remotely located van behind a multi-thousand square foot Walmart complex to make off with anyone's daughter about 400 feet from where his van is located - duh.

5. And, if you can't see him in front of your face, why should one be bothered by his lifestyle? And if you do see him, why just ask him for his autograph!

At his age and circumstances,I envy his good fortune.

๐Ÿ™‚
Ray

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
J-Rooster wrote:
Ronnie, there was a similar like VW Van in Port Angeles, WA. around 1977 camping in PA and touring the Olympic Peninsula and it was Actor Pernell Roberts from the TV Series Bonanza. Big Diesel Pusher was not his style, he loved traveling around the country in his VW Bus.

This past year, Norris at 22 years of age, has battled and beaten thyroid cancer, traveled the West coast in his same VW van, has pitched two preseason games on 3/3 and 3/8 in Lakeland, Florida, winning both, and is part of the 40 man roster for the Detroit Tigers.
Maybe he got the engine fixed on the VW before he headed to the West Coast. :B Daniel Norris