cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amish Wet Burrito Casserole

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm making this one tonight in the DO. Instead of the mushroom soup I'll just make a simple bechamel sauce.
Amish Wet Burrito Casserole
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
12 REPLIES 12

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Tacos come in both flour and corn tortillas so I have a hard time with an enchilada being defined by tortilla.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Trekkar wrote:
ppine wrote:
Amish burritos?
How about some Iriquois spaghetti?
Or Mennonite fondue?

X2

I like my ethnic foods straight. I live in a Dutch-settled area, and many of the restaurants insist of putting chicken gravy on the burritos.:)

When I moved from California to Utah, every Mexican restaurant insisted on making all their burritos wet, red sauce. I like to eat my burritos with my hands and had to get in the habit of always ordering with the caveat that it be dry. BTW, isn't a wet burrito just a large enchilada? Lol!

Yes, with one caveat - enchiladas use corn tortillas. When I was a kid, my parents owned a Mexican restaurant. Burritos were hand held and enchiladas were eaten with a fork. At home, my dad would place our burritos in a baking dish, cover with red sauce, smother in cheese, and pop them in the oven to bake. As kids, this was a special treat for us. I do believe my dad was the first to make these! Too bad he didn't patent them and offer them in the restaurant!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Trekkar wrote:
ppine wrote:
Amish burritos?
Or Mennonite fondue?

X2

I like my ethnic foods straight. I live in a Dutch-settled area, and many of the restaurants insist of putting chicken gravy on the burritos.:)

When I moved from California to Utah, every Mexican restaurant insisted on making all their burritos wet, red sauce. I like to eat my burritos with my hands and had to get in the habit of always ordering with the caveat that it be dry. BTW, isn't a wet burrito just a large enchilada? Lol!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
kshayer wrote:
I have made this recipe with cream of chicken soup instead of the mushroom soup and it was yummy!

I'm told they used the cream soups in this recipe because Mexican crema wasn't available. The Amish are pretty good at improvising.

There are Amish in Mexico who are teaching Mennonite children. I wonder if that's where this recipe came from and originally used the crema.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Amish burritos?
Or Mennonite fondue?

X2

2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

kshayer
Explorer
Explorer
I have made this recipe with cream of chicken soup instead of the mushroom soup and it was yummy!
Craig and Karen Shayer
Hurricane 34

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
It sounds really good, but I'm not sure about the mushroom soup which is almost sacrilegious when paired with burrito!

I think his use of a white sauce or gravy in place of the soup would pair well with the taco seasoning.

Thanks!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
It sounds really good, but I'm not sure about the mushroom soup which is almost sacrilegious when paired with burrito!

I think his use of a white sauce or gravy in place of the soup would pair well with the taco seasoning.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made roasted Mexican corn cobs to with it, slathered in mayo and cheese. The casserole turned out tasty. I set the dish inside the DO and used the DO like an oven.

Magnus

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amish burritos?
Or Mennonite fondue?

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds wonderful!!! Will definitely give this a try. Add a simple Mexican rice or Tex mex corn side and this would be great after a long day.

As always thank you for sharing!