cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Ring Sausage?

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having an old age crisis; don't like any of my sausage selections any more. Hillshire Farms and Johnsonville both taste like bad bologna.

I kind of like Holmes Smokehouse Original, Trace Adkins Original, and Kreutz Market BBQ in Lockhart. I sometimes order 25 of the Kreutz Mkt sausages, but their shipping is pretty fierce. Any ideas?
21 REPLIES 21

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
We still like Johnsonville and I haven't noticed any change in it, but all the other obvious brands don't do it. I'm not aware of any choices we have here aside from the Hillshire and off brands sometimes offered for a dollar or so.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer Kreutz's for the brisket & City Market (in Luling, Tx) for the sausage - we always hit both places when we stay at Palmetto State Park

Eddy's (Jalapeño & Cheese) is a pretty good one (for a large processor), Eddy's also has a smoked turkey breast isn't too bad either.

Have you tried: Burton's Sausage - or Chappell Hill's ?

IMO Hillshire Farms is garbage.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Find a good German or Polish Deli and stock up on REAL ring sausage.

Once you buy one from a real deli you will never touch a store bought vacuum sealed mystery meat sausage ever again. :C

X2!!!!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Find a good German or Polish Deli and stock up on REAL ring sausage.

Once you buy one from a real deli you will never touch a store bought vacuum sealed mystery meat sausage ever again. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, repeat.

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I grew up on a farm and we would kill hogs as soon as the weather cooled. Mom and Dad would stand around the big pan of sausage and season, fry a little and taste, then season some more. Of course I got to "taste" some too. They didn't make ring sausage, just pan sausage. We only got electricity when I was about 8; I think they fryed up sausage patties and canned them in grease. We didn't smoke any; don't remember why.

travelbayshore1
Explorer
Explorer
DH is having the same problem - I think they are changing their "recipes" so much that they no longer have the appeal they once did. He's pretty much tried every brand in the store. Nothing beats the sausage from the old "hog killing" days.