cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keep spices dry

LT_E5
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone figured out away of keeping your spices ie. salt, onion powder, garlic powder from becoming a clump of spices in the jar? I've tried the rice in the salt container with no real results.
20 REPLIES 20

Captain_Pickle
Explorer
Explorer
A military ammo can from your local Army surplus store. They seal air tight.
Pickle & Debbie

2005 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L
2007 SunnyBrook Sunset Creek 267RL

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
SailorPam wrote:
I have one of these Spices to Go.

I can keep it in the RV/boat and then take it out to an outside cooking spot easily. The jars seal well which helps with keeping the spices dry.

Also I try to always put the spices into the palm of my hand and rub them before putting them into the food I'm cooking. Not only does it release the flavor but I'm not holding the spice jar over a steaming pot that will put moisture into my spice container.

Wow, that is cool. I won't spend $40 on it but I bet I could make one easy enough. Thanks.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife bought some glass canning jars with glass lids with rubber type seal that clamps down reminiscent of canning jars before the zinc and glass lined cap and rubber seal. The air conditioning is good at keeping moisture down but...
We put a couple of pinto beans in the bottom of glass and pepper shakers. We put dried cinnamon sticks in cookie jar and candy jars on the counter.
In glass in the refrigerator maybe but no more plastic. Plastic stored stuff takes on the gasses from plastics.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Try minute rice instead of whole grain. If you keep your salt in an oven proof container, put it in the oven after you have baked and the oven is staring to cool. Salt is a rock and impervious to heat and the heat will dry the rice making it ready to absorb moisture.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

tupperwareparty
Explorer
Explorer
i keep mine in my Tupperware modularmates and they dont clump up

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I have a metal cannister that I put my spice containers in.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the OP
LT E5 wrote:
Has anyone figured out away of keeping your spices ie. salt, onion powder, garlic powder from becoming a clump of spices in the jar? I've tried the rice in the salt container with no real results.

Rice didn't work and was looking for other options. I agree that rice is great for a number of things but in this case it did not work.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
AlGreg wrote:
About 2 weeks ago I filled my salt shaker half full with un popped popcorn then added about half as much salt. It works for salt and probably other spices. The popcorn keeps breaking up the clumping salt.

Great idea! Learn something new every day.

Uncooked white rice works better.

It also works for desiccating cell-phones that have been dropped in water.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
AlGreg wrote:
About 2 weeks ago I filled my salt shaker half full with un popped popcorn then added about half as much salt. It works for salt and probably other spices. The popcorn keeps breaking up the clumping salt.

Great idea! Learn something new every day.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

AlGreg
Explorer
Explorer

BajaLinda
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Baja on the ocean, no spice is safe and a week after you get a new one it is clumped. Then again, I never have to worry about brown sugar getting hard or honey. The 2 things I seldom use. Oh the agony of living near the ocean. ๐Ÿ™‚
Linda

SailorPam
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these Spices to Go.

I can keep it in the RV/boat and then take it out to an outside cooking spot easily. The jars seal well which helps with keeping the spices dry.

Also I try to always put the spices into the palm of my hand and rub them before putting them into the food I'm cooking. Not only does it release the flavor but I'm not holding the spice jar over a steaming pot that will put moisture into my spice container.
2004 Keystone Sprinter 327RLS "Booner"
2001 Ford F350 "Bessie"

anninsd
Explorer
Explorer
I put small amounts of spices that aren't used often in small zip lock bags. The kind beads would come in. Then I keep them in a basket that a sleeve of crackers would fit in. I slip the whole basket into a gallon size zip lock bag.
Ann

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
FDA approved Silica Gel desiccant packets.

Just put a packet in each spice jar.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)