cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let’s talk biscuits

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
My DW and I enjoy a “ big breakfast “ usually once every camping trip. At our house we have an electric stove and oven. In my life I’ve only had gas for only a few months all together. We always make caned biscuits.they’re quick and easy and we like them. My question to all y’all camper chefs is, how do you make biscuits in a gas oven and get them done ( top, bottom, and inside) without burning them? I either burn the bottom and the top is not done, or I turn them over about 2/3s they way through and nd the middle still not done. Please help ! Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the air bake cookie sheet.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Absolutely a Dutch oven and charcoal outside is my go to, but on a “ to rainy “ of a day I was looking for other options. I hadn’t thought of the convection microwave. That sounds like a great idea !

Luv_Campin
Explorer
Explorer
Look up “air bake cookie sheets” on Amazon. I never could cook anything without burning it until I bought these.
2007 Ford F150
2012 Keystone Summerland 2100RB
one bossy dachsund
1 short wife and 1 short dog

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a large 12 inch iron skillet to cook canned biscuits. I use bacon grease or spray PAM. The biscuits on medium heat. They stick together. I turn the whole batch over about midway through cooking time. I cover them. When they are browned on both sides, I remove from heat but let them sit in a covered skillet for a few minutes longer.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Ideally I make biscuits in a Dutch Oven out side with charcoal. Super easy to get the heat right and does a much nicer job. But.......when I have to cook inside with the oven....there is a pizza stone on the diffuser that the burner is mounted to. I cook them at 400 degrees on the bottome shelf for 10 minutes, top shelf for another 10....then to brown them slide them under the broiler/burner(the absolute bottom of the oven)and baby them to brown them....and by "baby" I mean you need to be there with a hot pad rotating the pan hear and there around the bottom to evenly brown them.....but you don't walk away or carry on a conversation when browning..........
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
A pizza stone helps.

Not here. A pizza stone equalizes the bottom heat. OP is having an issue with top heat. A pizza stone doesn't help this but it does help baking overall. Better than NOT putting in a stone.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My RV has a convection/microwave. Problem solved. Everything bakes perfectly in a convection.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
To add to bgum...a pizza stone on the solid shelf above the burner not covering the holes helps to even the oven heat. People are amazed when the wife will bring out a perfectly baked cake from our rv oven.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A pizza stone helps.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Thus are the limitations of RV ovens. No top heat.

Try cooking them inside a Dutch Oven with the lid on. Biscuits like a high heat of around 400-425.