cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My popovers need help

akaPedro
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have made popovers each Sunday for years. Early on, they seemed better as the insides were 90% hollow. Lately, maybe 50% hollow and 50% baked dough. No bad, entirely edible...but not like the old days.

Could we be mixing the ingredients too much or not enough ? We use room temp eggs and milk. 425 for 15 minutes and then 350 for last 10 minutes. Tin is oiled and filled 1/2 way up.

Any tips ? If you would like to list your ingredients that would be good. Will list ours later on.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

akaPedro
Explorer
Explorer
OK...Our original was the same as Marrykalia, except we added 1 tsp of oil.

New recipe is:
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup A/P flour
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt

Beat it well until lots of bubbles appear. Quickly pour into greased, pre-heated 400 degree tin and into oven. Don't open door to peek. 35 to 40 minutes. Pierce to let out steam after out of oven.

akaPedro
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE.......Really good ones today. 6 inches high and hardly any goop inside. Changed a few things: 3 eggs, not two. Warmed the milk and eggs even more than to room temp. Used NordicWare pan in lieu of aluminum pan. 1 tsp of salt in lieu of 1/4 tsp. Beat the batter for a minute or more until plenty of bubbles appeared. Batter into oven quickly, no waiting. 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Pierced the popovers 2-3 times with a small knife after they came out. Checked oven temp with my trusty IR laser temp gun. Right around 400 deg.

Small complaint: Perhaps a bit too brown/crusty on outside. Will reduce to 35 minutes next time. Gave myself an A minus.

Forgot to list our original ingredients. Will do in another post.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
akaPedro wrote:
No, SuperDave. What do you think.....15-20 minutes ?

The idea is just a hunch on my part so maybe start with 10 on the next batch and if you see an improvement go to 15. My thought was that a little resting time would allow for the gluten to form and the dough to proof a little.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

akaPedro
Explorer
Explorer
No, SuperDave. What do you think.....15-20 minutes ?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Are you giving the dough any resting time before baking?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

akaPedro
Explorer
Explorer
Still same old 1993 oven. We are third owners. Oven could be off. Need to check the $5 Taylor thermometer on shelf with my $25 IR temp gun....against the oven setting.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Perchance have you changed stoves/ovens? Your temperature may not be what you programmed.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I have used this recipe that I found on Allrecipes. It has been great.

Popovers

Recipe By:Christy
"A light and airy favorite bread treat. Serve piping hot and enjoy!"
Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Grease and flour six 6-ounce custard cups.
In a medium bowl beat eggs slightly, Beat in flour, milk and salt until just smooth; being careful not to overbeat. Fill custard cups 1/2 full.
Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for 20 minutes more. Immediately remove from cups and serve piping hot
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW