cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not cleaning the rv oven

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
okay, I used our rv oven once and the smoke alarm went off...pizza.
I don't use our oven much at home either. I am mostly a stove top
cooker or we bbq.

I just bought a small slow cooker for the rv when we have hook ups.
I would like to be able to cook in the oven (since it is there) occasionally
but I don't want to EVER have to clean it (other than maybe a wipe).

You experienced cookers...what are my options for keeping it clean?
I am not talking really messy greasy things either.
18 REPLIES 18

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Grandpere wrote:
We use our oven to store pots and pans. The one time we used the oven the food tasted weird and smelled of propane. So we forgo use of the oven and use it as a place of storage.

X10! :B

Most RV'ers do not use the oven.
I do ALL my cooking 'outside' on one of two appliances.
This one for the big prepared meals.

and this one for grilling

Both fold flat the size of a laptop and fit nicely in any bay in the MH. No fuss no muss and no smells or grease inside the MH.

I have a Coleman grill stove very similar to the lower picture. Best accessory I bought was an aluminum griddle that you use instead of the grill. Use it for every breakfast with the coffee pot on the burner at the same time.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought that the smoke alarm was a kitchen timer. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We put a sheet of aluminum foil on bottom cover (make sure slots are not covered).
This is to catch any spills. Change out as needed.

12" x 12" terra cota tile to distribute heat

7 yrs. FT we used oven most every day for baking/coking something.

Smoke detector......I just placed one of those elastic food covers on it prior to using......bright yellow. Then removed after cooking.
Regular routine.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Halmfamily wrote:
We use a pizza stone in the bottom to help distribute the heat more evenly and if cooking something that may boil over we'll put a cookie sheet underneath it. Most spills,if you get to it quick, will come out fairly easy. If you let it bake into the bottom it will be a pain to clean.

Happy camping.

That's what we do. We use our oven all the time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sos pad
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
Soooo, I like the pizza stone (then I might actually make GF pizza.)
Covered things...pack up a corning ware thing.
Cleaning up spatters (if there are any) immediately...good idea....was dreading doing
the easy off stuff.
Stove top cooking (which is mainly what I do anyway.)
Crockpot meals.
Donna

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have a pizza stone in ours and use the oven frequently. Never a problem with smoke detector or taste of the food.

And have never needed to clean the oven. Foil under anything that might spill over.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've used my oven for 7, going on 8 years and have never had to clean it. Most items are either in casserole dishes with lids or open items that don't splatter. The airbake cookie sheets or pizza stones are used with everything. I think needing to clean the oven means someone did something wrong.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
We use the oven all the time. Instead of a pizza stone on the bottom we have an air bake cookie sheet that sits on the rack - directly under what we're cooking. The sheet is just a bit smaller that the oven dimensions. It makes for perfect cooking *and* keeps the oven spotless.

X2 Use ours all the time. So I guess I'm not MOST Rv'ers. LOL

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
As the survivor of a complete loss house fire, I am all for sensitive smoke alarms. If it hadn't been for one, I, for one, wouldn't be here.

The first time our oven was used, there was lots and lots of smelly odors, smoke and fumes. Our smoke detector also went off. After it is used a couple of times, that smell does go away.

That being said, I use ours, but mostly, it is used to store kitchen utensils.

I have a large crockpot and a small crockpot that live in our RV. I have cooked an entire Thanksgiving dinner in our RV - turkey in the large crockpot, twice baked potatoes in a medium crockpot (from our house), green bean casserole in small crockpot, dressing, etc. It was a fabulous meal and not too hard to do.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used motorhome, and when I looked in the oven, I believe the owners before us, did not believe in cleaning it. I have been working on it, and it takes more then one cleaning for whatever they did. At this point, even with cleaning unsure I want to use mine for anything. Ewwwww. I agree with everyone about the smoke alarm...lol. Ours is very very very sensitive.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Use our oven all the time and without any issues regarding smell or taste. When not in use we store our bread in there.

Explorer II
Explorer II
If cooking inside step 1 for me is to remove the battery from the detector, leave the detector open and place the battery on top of the AC thermostat to remind me to reinstall it.

I can't cook anything without the detector going off.

As far as using the oven, rather than a stone I put crumbly layers of aluminum foil on the bottom to help distribute the heat evenly and catch the mess.

I rarely use my oven while camping but I do use it often while home.
I finish off my brisket and ribs in it. I recently cooked my Christmas ham in it.

To clean it I just get down on my hands and knees and wipe it down with a soapy wet sponge and go back over it with a clean damp sponge.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We use the oven all the time. Instead of a pizza stone on the bottom we have an air bake cookie sheet that sits on the rack - directly under what we're cooking. The sheet is just a bit smaller that the oven dimensions. It makes for perfect cooking *and* keeps the oven spotless.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics