cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pizza stone for oven

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a pizza stone to put in my oven and make it bake better. I'm a little confused about where to put it in the oven. Does it go on the rack underneath whatever I'm baking or does it go lower down, just on top of the metal plate that covers the burner?
19 REPLIES 19

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
D.E. I thought of doing the same thing with a cast iron griddle.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We had absolute success in using a stone on the diffuser plate on the bottom of the oven. Unfortunately the stone broke and I haven't replaced since we bought the Winnie.

In as much as the principle is to disperse the heat evenly and in better quality that is done by using thicker metal in the oven floor and most cookware uses thicker metal of different types, wouldn't a 1/4" sheet of aluminum work as well as a pizza stone?

I actually have a stovetop griddle that fits in the oven perfectly and seems to resist warping on the uneven stovetop burners or open fire in the fire ring so why not use that. I just thought of this yesterday after the DW was baking some brownies and she was worried about burning them without her stone. She did by the way, a beautiful job of making the brownies, not dry and not gooey, just perfectly chewy.

I know stones are expensive and a unglazed terra cotta tile will work great but we already have the grill and it is virtually indestructible so why not us that.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Mine is sitting on the steel difusser plate right above the burner. Some people also place them on the bottom rack. Your choice as the idea is mass.

X2
Mass/defuser for the heat from the burner, we like Papa Murphy pizza and we would burn the center of the pizza, and bottom of cookies before the tops were cooked, since the stone oven works 100% better!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is sitting on the steel difusser plate right above the burner. Some people also place them on the bottom rack. Your choice as the idea is mass.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I put it on the rack that I'm cooking the pizza on. Putting the pizza on the stone.
Bill and Joey the dog