cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sharing: Oma Recipes

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oma is a name for Grandmother in our family. This thread reminded me of the wonderfully inventive ways Omas used up food to avoid wastage and still provide delicious meals for their families.

Do you have any favorite "Oma Recipes" that have been passed down in your family?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
2 REPLIES 2

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My Mom was an excellent cook. She taught me everything I know about cooking. Unfortunately, she didn't teach me everything she knew. Even with a recipe, it doesn't taste the same. Her food had love in it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished making a grandmother type recipe for the freezer and now. Came from the ex's great aunt who definitely had "Oma" stature despite being a spinster:). We called her Tata Claudine and she taught me soooooo many things about keeping a house thriftily and healthfully.

Here is a basic recipe what beats my need to "eyeball" ingredients;):

Pierre Franey's Quenelle Recipe

The last batch of quenelles I made were with chicken so don't think this is all about fish. Just change the form of protein but follow the seasoning list.
1 pound of chicken or fish will give you about 33 quenelles which are yummy not only as a baked entree but makes a fast chicken soup dumpling as well.