cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smithville meats

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
I heard on world news today that smithville meats has sold out their co. to china. What will that mean for us? Will they be producing pork, especially ham and shipping back to U.S. for sale?
27 REPLIES 27

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
Since our health was taking a downturn we revamped our diet to include just small amounts of local/organic meats. We are better off for it and so are the local producers. And so is our wallet. I understand the intricacies of a global economy but we are happier not only Buying American, but Buying Locally. Fortunately the locavore food movement is growing.

badgercamperfan
Explorer
Explorer
I am always befuddled when a US company buys a foreign one, it's good business. But when a foreign company buys a US one, we act with alarm. Also, with the "hands off business" attitude these days, we are bound to have less meat inspection rather than more.

bobwalter
Explorer
Explorer
Rockhill, As your signature says, "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,so as to have the life that is waiting for us", I guess that with the current direction our Government is going we are going to see lots more of this foreign involvement in our lives. GET USED TO IT. Not what we "planned" but it's coming.

Bob
Lynda & Bob ..N8DUV
2000 Safari Trek
sunny Sebastian, Florida

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
EgorKC wrote:
sljkansas wrote:
Are they the only pork/meat company in the United States? I think we will still be able to buy American produced meat products. I have never heard of Smithfield before. When I want quality beef or pork I buy from a local Farmer or 4H member. I have a freezer large enough for a hog and 1/2 beef.

.....Once the Chinese company owns them supply here will be reduced by the amount they export to China. In addition China does not have a sterling reputation for Quality Control (toothpaste and pet food contaminants have been reported by national media in recent years) so I fear the management they install here will potentially (being PC here) take shortcuts....Greg

Got that right!

Chinese meat import is on the FDA fast track. They already approved that we can ship chickens grown here TO China for processing and then shipped back here. Ya, like I am going to eat chicken that has been around the world twice in the bottom of a shipping barge that the FDA only inspects 1% of ALL the imported food! :R

~~"Rejected items often reappear at U.S. ports several times; importers gamble that the FDA, which only inspects 1% of regulated imports, wonโ€™t catch them in the act.
http://consumerist.com/2007/05/21/chinese-poison-train-declared-unstoppable-next-stop-you/

OR.......
How about rat meat sold as Mutton in China?
Keeping that in mind and the fact that the FDA only inspects 1% of all imported food.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rat-meat-sold-lamb-latest-132039664.html

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
EgorKC, Thank you, I didn't know Farmland was owned by them and have heard about all all the problems with imported meat. I also don't like to see American Companies being bought up by foreign countries.
If you only new how much beef McDonald's imports for South America, it would make you head spin.

There are local meat processing shops in and around the KC area. Most all of them buy from local farmers and usually have a better quality of meat than the grocery stores carry. Also 4H livestock that the kids show, can not have any growth hormones fed to them. My last beef was my niece's 4H project and was quit good. If you haven't bought from a local processor or 4H member, you don't know what you are missing.
McGonigles From what I remember still hand cuts their meat.

Right now I sitting at my Daughters in S/W Kansas where wheat and cattle are big industry, and National Beef is just up the road in Dodge City, and trucks are in and out all day long. National Beef Supplies a lot of beef to Kansas City along with other parts of the country.
Heading home in morning.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

whistlebritches
Explorer
Explorer
And our government keeps allowing******like this to happen why? Just force the price up for American's. You can tell they really care about our country and our people.

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
sljkansas wrote:
Are they the only pork/meat company in the United States? I think we will still be able to buy American produced meat products. I have never heard of Smithfield before. When I want quality beef or pork I buy from a local Farmer or 4H member. I have a freezer large enough for a hog and 1/2 beef.

slj: Since you are from Miami Co KS I suspect you are familiar with Farmland Foods and Armour Foods. Both are owned by Smithfield Foods. Once the Chinese company owns them supply here will be reduced by the amount they export to China. In addition China does not have a sterling reputation for Quality Control (toothpaste and pet food contaminants have been reported by national media in recent years) so I fear the management they install here will potentially (being PC here) take shortcuts. The local farmers that you refer to will have more demand for their product which will increase the price by virtue of demand. I for one will have a hard time finding a Bacon I like to replace it.
Greg
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The Chicom's have discovered capitalism and are getting good at it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
What's going to change is that pork will stop being cheap for those of us here in the U.S.A. China is a HUGE pork consumer, and it's willing to pay for ours.

I remember back when I used to be able to buy the geoduck that grows here in Washington State...but then trade with China opened up. They love those big ol' clams over there, and at first they just got really expensive, but now: I can't buy geoduck at ANY price!

I doubt pork will disappear from our grocery stores, but I guarantee that it's about to get a lot more expensive.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing will actually change except that the company, Smithfield, not Smithville, will report to a corporate office in China rather than in the US. Factories will still produce the same products and they will be sold in the same places. I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad one, but it's not as if the consumer will notice anything different.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
How can anyone on this forum answer your questions? You better ask the Chinese!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Bama bluejay wrote:
I heard on world news today that smithville meats has sold out their co. to china. What will that mean for us? Will they be producing pork, especially ham and shipping back to U.S. for sale?

No they will be shipping meat to China. But what dies it matter the corporation made billions and will pay no taxes.