cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smithville meats

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
I heard on world news today that smithville meats has sold out their co. to china. What will that mean for us? Will they be producing pork, especially ham and shipping back to U.S. for sale?
27 REPLIES 27

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
This has nothing to do with camp cooking and is getting political.

Thread closed.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
bobwalter wrote:
(then you want a government in favor of regulations and a country joined together and buying American Union made goods)

Bigred,
Yes, you are correct. I do favor gov't regulation (limited) and I do favor buying American (not necessarily union) made goods.

Bob

Great so do I, and I buy union goods whenever possible.

bobwalter
Explorer
Explorer
(then you want a government in favor of regulations and a country joined together and buying American Union made goods)

Bigred,
Yes, you are correct. I do favor gov't regulation (limited) and I do favor buying American (not necessarily union) made goods.

Bob
Lynda & Bob ..N8DUV
2000 Safari Trek
sunny Sebastian, Florida

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
Kit you are so right, I meant to type Smithfield. Just having a senior moment I suppose. Last month on my birthday, I was told I had to sign up for medicare. My body hasn't been the same since.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
Huh?????

I think the reality is that it's more about RATINGS.

rockhillmanor wrote:
All the stations are federally owned so it really is no surprise.

FCC? They can and do dictate what is said and/or viewed on TV. And if you believe that it only covers the fact that you can't swear or bare certain body parts, well..... :B:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
bobwalter wrote:
Rockhill, As your signature says, "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,so as to have the life that is waiting for us", I guess that with the current direction our Government is going we are going to see lots more of this foreign involvement in our lives. GET USED TO IT. Not what we "planned" but it's coming.

Bob

then you want a government in favor of regulations and a country joined together and buying American Union made goods not Chinese imports. The American people are sending the money to China not the American government.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Bama bluejay wrote:
I heard on world news today that smithville meats has sold out their co. to china. What will that mean for us? Will they be producing pork, especially ham and shipping back to U.S. for sale?
I think you mean Smithfield.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Makes me angry, although I don't know what will be the outcome for American consumers. I am suspicious about QC if the Chinese have any input. I think I'll use another brand.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Huh?????

I think the reality is that it's more about RATINGS.

rockhillmanor wrote:
All the stations are federally owned so it really is no surprise.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There has been an obvious and deliberate change in 'what' news is reported to us on TV. All the stations are federally owned so it really is no surprise. It's the new age of the mushroom theory for all of us.
Remember a certain person that wanted to shut down public television?

We know more about a Kardashian butt and a Bieber Boo than information regarding what, where, and how regarding the safety of our food and where it comes from and what our gov is up to.

Just watching the BBC news and the World News on public TV a couple of times will open your eyes about the food we eat! :W

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure hope the employees of Smithfield are not buying in to the propaganda being spurted by the corporate spin doctors that they are "safe".

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Rockhill, As your signature says, "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,so as to have the life that is waiting for us", I guess that with the current direction our Government is going we are going to see lots more of this foreign involvement in our lives. GET USED TO IT. Not what we "planned" but it's coming.Bob

Very true!
But thankfully we can choose not to be part of it where food is concerned, they other stuff not so much. :B

Leo Benson wrote:
Since our health was taking a downturn we revamped our diet to include just small amounts of local/organic meats. We are better off for it and so are the local producers. And so is our wallet. I understand the intricacies of a global economy but we are happier not only Buying American, but Buying Locally.
Fortunately the locavore food movement is growing.

Ditto X10. I so the same.

Foodie blogs, magazines and TV food channels ARE promoting this and I think the next generation will be 100% on board with it. Will never carve out a big enough chunk of factory farming profits but perhaps the next generation will have better health and we will see a re emergence of the family farmer's back to the numbers they once were.:C

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Smithfield foods

I don't know how Smithfield foods could get any worse, even if sold to the worst 3rd world country. This article contains a link to a 'Rolling Stone' article about Smithfield foods. This was written well before the China sale. Hope you're not eating breakfast if you read it. I really think the obvious answer here, is to know how/where your food is handled.

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
See Virginian Pilot for the local news story. There is an online version.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW