cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tricks To Great Mashed Potatos?

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I've been put in charge of making the mashed potatos for 30 people this Thanksgiving.

What can I do to make sure they're the best, fluffiest, tasty, rib sticking, memorable taters anyone in my big family has ever had?

Thanks for any help and ideas,

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

68 REPLIES 68

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
One thing I've noticed is getting the potatoes into the mixer and the butter and cream while still very hot. Set on highest setting and it traps the heat in the bubbles as it creams the potatoes. Even a half hour later they are still very hot inside. Makes a world of difference.
First place to start is the selection of a potato. Stay away from Burbanks and other "Idahos" Lots of water and starch and little flavor. Kenneybeck and several others when you can find them. Those yellow Golden something or other are pretty good. Some say they are too earthy.
Don't use new or red potatoes, unless you like them. /they tend to sometimes be a bit on the bitter side.

X2 on the hot potatoes and on the choice of potatoes!!

WoodGlue

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
My kids (age 5 and 7) would not eat any potatoes except fries and tater tots. One night I added some onion powder to my normal mashed potatoes (milk/butter/salt/pepper) and they could not get enough of them!
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing I've noticed is getting the potatoes into the mixer and the butter and cream while still very hot. Set on highest setting and it traps the heat in the bubbles as it creams the potatoes. Even a half hour later they are still very hot inside. Makes a world of difference.
First place to start is the selection of a potato. Stay away from Burbanks and other "Idahos" Lots of water and starch and little flavor. Kenneybeck and several others when you can find them. Those yellow Golden something or other are pretty good. Some say they are too earthy.
Don't use new or red potatoes, unless you like them. /they tend to sometimes be a bit on the bitter side.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Now on to the next holiday! Prime rib calls for the horseradish mashed potatoes.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Explorer II
Explorer II
WoodGlue wrote:
The overwhelming favorite was the "bacon" encrusted "double baked" potatos!
and that was my entry ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cool

Glad to hear it all worked out.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I made 4 kinds of potatos for Thanksgiving dinner and all 4 were distinctly different.

The overwhelming favorite was the "bacon" encrusted "double baked" potatos!

Thanks everyone for all the tips, hints and ideas!

WoodGlue

Explorer II
Explorer II
Well WoodGlue, are you going to give us an update on how the taters turned out?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

nitrohorse
Explorer
Explorer
fchammer1 wrote:
nitrohorse wrote:
I'm going to let you all in on a little secret that I learned about mashed potatoes while eating with an Amish family in Pa..

Nitro,
That wouldn't have been at the home of Jonas & Lydia would it? (Last name omitted purposely.)
And, in the next valley to the south, Jonas's brother Amos does a mean barbeque of chicken one Saturday and pork the next -- right next to his wife's bakery.

No it's Dave and Rebecca. She has a "steam" powered mixer that she uses for her taters. Her meatloaf is the best.... For anyone who has the chance to eat at an Amish home....do so, you will not regret it.
Sorry if I went a little off topic.

Sportsman2505qs
Explorer
Explorer
This is the recipe I have used for years:

5 pounds of potatoes
8 0z soften cream cheese
8 0z sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and cook potatoes, mash them using the cream cheese,sour cream, salt and pepper.

I have freeze the mashed potatoes in a gallon bag and thawed and put in crock pot the day I am going to use them. Also can be made a day or two ahead of time and warmed up in the crock pot.

You can add other ingredients such as garlic and chives.

Also want to thank again the person who posted this recipe a while back. I have used it so many times.
2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 Sold 1999F-150
Itasca Spirit 2014
Manatee Hammock

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
DREAM POTATOES

5 pounds of potatoes, peeled cooked and mashed with some potato water (russets work best) 3 average size potatoes equal about 1 pound

To the hot mashed potatoes beat in until smooth and creamy:

8 ounces of softened sour cream (low fat or no fat is fine)
1 cup sour cream (low fat or no-fat is fine)
1 teaspoon salt
ยผ teaspoon white pepper (black will work)
2 tablespoons softened butter or margarine
Generous dash of garlic powder (optional)

Place in a casserole. These potatoes can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks or freeze them and use in 2-3 months. Bake at 350 or microwave until heated through. I use these for holidays. I can make them ahead of time and I donโ€™t have to mess around with making mashed potatoes just before the meal is served.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
I like to thinly slice the peeled potatoes and boil in chicken broth (with a couple of cloves of garlic added if I'm going to bake it off with cheese). When done mash with butter, whole milk and sour cream. I also don't like whipped potatoes, I like some lumps.

Lots of flavor.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
X2
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

BajaLinda
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I was born on Thanksgiving, a historic fact that in my opinion makes me The Expert per all things edible on that day!

Per Thanksgiving mashed potatoes:

Since their primary function is to provide a home for gravy, nothing should be added except butter, salt, and milk.
This is the one I agree with 100%! finally
Linda

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone besides me wonder if they cut those potatoes with the bacon grease?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk