cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WAlmarts with wine?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby is looking for cheap wine...Oakleaf is what he likes and its cheap and we got it at walmart in florida (not all walmarts).

Looking at the following states...any idea which ones may have it...short of calling each one? Along route 80...Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Colorado (okay not route 80 there). Utah? Arizona?
64 REPLIES 64

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
I make my own wines, 30 bottles per batch in 30 days for about $2 a bottle. Never a shortage. Just a trip to the basement is all it takes. But in my own blind taste test, most of the store bought wines are slightly better than mine. Only slightly though.

Sounds like swill!! 2 weeks to ferment, 1 week to clear and 2 to 3 months to bottle age is minimum for something kinda drinkable to me. Something really good would take much much longer. But then, I really can't drink the $5 box wines but others say its good stuff.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a comprehensive list by state of the liquor laws.
BTW, I used to bartend in Ohio near the University of Cincinnati. Back then, beer was either less than 3.2% alcohol or more than 3.2% and less than 6% alcohol. 3.2% if you were 18 but under 21 and 6% if you were over 21. In practice, 3.2% was pretty close to that number, but 6% only had to be more than 3.2% and less than 6%. In practice, 6% was a lot closer to 3.2%. If you got caught by liquor agents, the bar paid the penalty, not the student, and the students knew it. We spent more time watching for students passing drinks than we did pouring them.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
I make my own wines, 30 bottles per batch in 30 days for about $2 a bottle. Never a shortage. Just a trip to the basement is all it takes. But in my own blind taste test, most of the store bought wines are slightly better than mine. Only slightly though.

I use to do this and many of my in-laws still do. There are soem real good wines that come form kits. I did not enjoy making it as much as I did beer.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully some of this cheaper stuff being discussed comes with a side of Advil.

campin4kids
Explorer
Explorer
I would not pay 20 or 30 dollars for a single bottle of wine. (Can't afford it) We have enjoyed Barefoot wines and often find them on sale for around 5 dollars.I have also tried the Oakleaf wines during very lean times and liked them well enough.
2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Steve 51, Me, Deb 51,
DS 22, DD 19, DD 17, DD 15

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Best and cheapest I have found is Trader Joes

$2 buck chuck and similar Trader Joes wines are very drinkable indeed. For me however, the lower end wines I like are around $10-$12 at Costco.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
bcsdguy wrote:
Wally wine! Hah.

For those to whom the thought of Walmart wine is funny. They have done blind tastings with supposed wine experts tasting wines from the $3 Oakleaf to various wines up to the $30 range and the Oakleaf came out at or near the top. A blow to the wine snobs I am sure.

We've done similar tastings and not found that to be true. $2 buck chuck at trader joes was certainly drinkable and worth $2 but could not come close to a decent $20 wine. Oakleaf was similar. That said, there are many $20 or $30 wines not worth $2. Price alone is not an indicator of a good or bad wine. I've just not found any $2-$3 wine that was as good as some of the $10-$20 decent wines I've found at places like Costco.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
Nope eastern ny Walmarts do NOT carry wines...not sure about central or western ny though.

Franzia wines...we have picked up some of that as well.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! There I was thinking you were writing that the county(ies) were dry. In my world camping w/o wine is just wrong:D.

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Our local grocery stores carry Vella box wines along with Franzia wines. We prefer the taste of the Vella wines. We Insist upon serving our guests only the finest quality "Card-Bordeaux" box wines available.:B
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
Hubby is looking for cheap wine...Oakleaf is what he likes and its cheap and we got it at walmart in florida (not all walmarts).

Looking at the following states...any idea which ones may have it...short of calling each one? Along route 80...Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Colorado (okay not route 80 there). Utah? Arizona?

Kingman, AZ Walmart has it. So does Bullhead City, AZ.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Best and cheapest I have found is Trader Joes

campin4kids
Explorer
Explorer
The Franzia boxes are about 5 bottles and the price varies from 11 to 13 dollars. It stays fresh for a while because the bladder inside does not let the air get in. The trouble is you can drink way too much at once and be sorry. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Steve 51, Me, Deb 51,
DS 22, DD 19, DD 17, DD 15

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Most Walmart supercenters in Illinois sell wine. There is one in Joliet, Il. not to far off i80. You could call to ask about the brand.