cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Treatment

Fliposo
Explorer
Explorer
Where I'll be Volunteering this Summer the water has Chlorine added. Although lightly, it seems to affect the taste of coffee and pasta. I get the water from the spicot not thru the TT plumbing. Would a Brita or similar filter work?
Retired 2009
Campground Host Shoshone NF '10
Ranger Station Host Roosevelt NF, Red Feather Lakes Summer '11
Interpretive Guide Holswarth Homestead, Rocky Mountain Natl. Park '13,14,15
Snowbirding in Casa Grande since '11
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta '10
12 REPLIES 12

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any decent activated charcoal filter will take the Chlorine taste out.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Fliposo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. My coffee and pasta should taste better
Retired 2009
Campground Host Shoshone NF '10
Ranger Station Host Roosevelt NF, Red Feather Lakes Summer '11
Interpretive Guide Holswarth Homestead, Rocky Mountain Natl. Park '13,14,15
Snowbirding in Casa Grande since '11
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta '10

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Save yourself some money. Chlorine will "blow off" naturally if you give it some surface area to do so. Just fill a bucket with your "contaminated" water and leave it overnight. The chlorine will be gone in the morning.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Brita hands down for getting rid of chlorine and a ton of other chemicals metals.

I bought the dispenser that fits in the fridge with a spigot on it. Nice cold water and you don't have to keep lifting it out to use it like the pitcher. IMHO the faucet filter is WAY to slow to fill a glass.

I would also throw a the cheap rv blue water filter on the hose so it's filtered there and then again with the Brita.

Find the dispenser at Walmart's

https://www.brita.com/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I buy gallon jugs of distilled water for anything that goes inside me. Local water supplies sometimes have an "off" taste. The outside of me gets the local water.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Fliposo wrote:
Where I'll be Volunteering this Summer the water has Chlorine added. Although lightly, it seems to affect the taste of coffee and pasta. I get the water from the spicot not thru the TT plumbing. Would a Brita or similar filter work?

I would try it. We use a ZeroWater filter pitcher and the water has no chemical taste at all. In fact it tastes sweet. Our water hose has an inline Taste Pure rv water filter as well so our drinking/cooking water is double filtered. We buy both filters at Walmart. The TastePure is in the W-M rv/auto section. The ZeroWater is in their plumbing/bulbs section - at least in most W-M we've shopped.:W

We also had (note past tense) the Zero Water filter. Good water but for some reason, the pitcher just got this awful taste and smell to it. Using only city water while at home.

Changing filters and flushing/cleaning didn't do a thing to remove either the taste or smell.

It was quickly replaced with the Brita filter we use now.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use any, of the number, of whole house carbon block or other filters.
The little, in line ones, we found to load up and when you turned on the faucet next discharged dirty water, especially mid west campgrounds with well water.
I don't know if chlorine will load up a filter or not but nothing like enough capacity for everything.

that

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailer fresh water tank is just a big ole water bottle
PEX plumbing thru out trailer is exactly the same type of plumbing lines used in residential homes

Chlorine is added to a lot of municipal water systems

Use an in-line filter on hose from spigot to trailer-----either via city water connection or to fill fresh water tank.

Then you can use an additional water filter at kitchen faucet if needed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We buy spring water from Walmart for coffee and cooking.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fliposo wrote:

I would try it. We use a ZeroWater filter pitcher and the water has no chemical taste at all. In fact it tastes sweet. Our water hose has an inline Taste Pure rv water filter as well so our drinking/cooking water is double filtered. We buy both filters at Walmart. The TastePure is in the W-M rv/auto section. The ZeroWater is in their plumbing/bulbs section - at least in most W-M we've shopped.:W
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
I use a portable Camco filter that I buy from Walmart. It fits in the hose that brings water into either your city connection or fresh water tank. I normally use one for about 3 months and then trash it and get a new one. We've started to keep a couple of 2 gallon filtered water jugs on board for drinking water, coffee etc. 'cause you never know what's in the local water you're drinking. Here's the link: http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=rv%20water%20filter&typeahead=water%20filter

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the Brita says it will do exactly what you want.

Brita filter for taste
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk