Mix all ingredients together and chill overnight
2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 Sold 1999F-150
Itasca Spirit 2014
Manatee Hammock
14 REPLIES 14

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another salad my in- laws like. Me too.

1 3ounce pkg lime gelatin
1 9 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup Cool Whip

Prepare the gelatin using half the water indicated on the box. Set aside to cool for 15-20 mins (so it doesn't melt the Cool Whip). Then stir in remaining ingredients. Chill two hours before serving.

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
My Gramma always served Jell-O salad with dinner, but it wasn't eaten until dessert. In NY, Jell-O and Cool Whip are dessert. Even when called 'salad'.
Fun fact - Jell-O was invented 15 minutes from where I live ๐Ÿ˜„
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
Rolling_rhoda.......my husband is like your in-laws. He will NOT eat a salad with Cool Whip as a salad....it's dessert. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Call it what you want but anyone that isn't willing to eat dessert at the beginning, middle or end of a meal doesn't have their priorities straight. When dining at buffets, part of my strategy is to squeeze dessert in between trips to the carving table as to not be too full for dessert. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I hear that.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
double post

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
rolling_rhoda wrote:
My mom makes a Watergate cake that I LOVE. It's a pistachio cake with "cover up" frosting (cool Whip + pistachio pudding). We used to have it for St. Patrick's day, and I'd request it on my birthday.

To NYCGirl-- The first decade of our marriage, I was amused and a little frustrated that my in-laws always turned up their noses at my salads. MIL explained that to their family a salad was either coleslaw or something made with macaroni or jello or Cool Whip. Hmmm, at my house jello and cool whip were dessert.

Sorry to veer off topic. Was just hoping you'd enjoy a laugh at my goofy in-laws.

Hehehehehe....salad is normally green and leafy for me sooo I'll just try Watergate salad in place of a piece of cake. On the subject of in-laws, mine were French and figured I was either a barbarian of some sort (I ate corn which they only fed to barnyard animals)or crazy. After waiting 11 years before divorcing their son I realised they were right: I WAS crazy but errrr maybe for different reasons than they imagined;)...

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Rolling_rhoda.......my husband is like your in-laws. He will NOT eat a salad with Cool Whip as a salad....it's dessert. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Call it what you want but anyone that isn't willing to eat dessert at the beginning, middle or end of a meal doesn't have their priorities straight. When dining at buffets, part of my strategy is to squeeze dessert in between trips to the carving table as to not be too full for dessert. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
My mom makes a Watergate cake that I LOVE. It's a pistachio cake with "cover up" frosting (cool Whip + pistachio pudding). We used to have it for St. Patrick's day, and I'd request it on my birthday.

To NYCGirl-- The first decade of our marriage, I was amused and a little frustrated that my in-laws always turned up their noses at my salads. MIL explained that to their family a salad was either coleslaw or something made with macaroni or jello or Cool Whip. Hmmm, at my house jello and cool whip were dessert.

Sorry to veer off topic. Was just hoping you'd enjoy a laugh at my goofy in-laws.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Sportsman2505qss wrote:
Watergate Salad

1 sm box Pistachio Instant Pudding
1 Lg.Tub cool whip
1 16 oz can Crush Pineapple-Do Not Drain
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/2 cup Mini Marshmallows

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients together and chill overnight

Someone was out of chopped pistachios. LOL!

Seriously, I love this stuff and double the chopped walnuts/pecans.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
I remember this salad but can't remember why they call it Watergate Salad.....:)
It's a yummy recipe.

It tastes best if you make it at night, using flashlights. If anyone tries to say you made it, deny, deny, deny. If you copy the recipe, erase the middle 2 ingredients. :W
ROFLMAO......GOOD NAME then!!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
I remember this salad but can't remember why they call it Watergate Salad.....:)
It's a yummy recipe.

It tastes best if you make it at night, using flashlights. If anyone tries to say you made it, deny, deny, deny. If you copy the recipe, erase the middle 2 ingredients. :W
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I really like this, but I add one more item. I slice fresh white grapes in half and add them to the mix. I generally match the amount of marshmallows.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
On a fluff forum I hang out at I often see Cool Whip salads listed on holiday menus but I've never tasted one. Closest I've ever eaten to it is ambrosia. Have something to try when I tour the MidWest:).

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
It's a yummy recipe.

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats