cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's for Breakfast?

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
What's for breakfast? Sometimes we camp with friends for a weekend and usually Saturday morning someone wants to make a big breakfast. We eat make something, eggs or bacon or potatoes, etc... This is time consuming by the time things are cooked and we sit down to eat. It just tends to be a big production I'm looking for something easier to do for breakfast on Saturday morning. I thought about something in the crockpot but didn't find anything.
34 REPLIES 34

BoxerPitMix
Explorer
Explorer
I usually stick with simple bacon & sausage fried up with potatoes & seasoned salt & pepper, then biscuits & gravy if I have the right equipment. 🙂

If I'm camping with other people it always seems everybody else wants eggs. I have to cook all of my stuff separately from their eggs or wash the skillet before mine is cooked... Otherwise I'll be putting my Epi-Pen to use. 😞

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those casseroles sound good. I think I will cut the recipe down and try them in our small crockpot.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
Shortie3 wrote:
Straight from the Ziploc website:

Can I boil in Ziploc® brand Bags?
No. Ziploc® brand Bags are not designed to withstand the extreme heat of boiling.

So, who is right?
We've done it hundreds of times. Not saying anybody is wrong or right just saying we've done it.

My take is yes you can, but not all bags are equal. I've had private brand bags open a hole. I've never had any problems with Ziplock freezer bags. We've always nuked the add ins, onlion, pepper, and mushrooms to give them a ahead start. If you like them mostly raw it isn't needed.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Shortie3 wrote:

No. Ziploc® brand Bags are not designed to withstand the extreme heat of boiling.

So, who is right?
We've done it hundreds of times. Not saying anybody is wrong or right just saying we've done it.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
I love that big group breakfast. Of course, I don't cook it. Or clean up the mess. I am consumed with guilt as I devour the thick sliced, deep fried bacon. Rarely does the bacon actually make it to anyone's plate.A little bit of heaven. But, my cardiologist fainted.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
When I make omelet in a bag, I use Ziplock FREEZER bag, not storage bag and it works perfectly.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
SwanInWA wrote:
Shortie3 wrote:

So, who is right?
Think I'm gonna to go with Ziploc on this one.

And that is just fine.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Explorer
Explorer
Shortie3 wrote:

So, who is right?

I am at the boiling point and breakfast was served. With Zip Lock bags.

If you snooze you loose.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Shortie3 wrote:

So, who is right?
Think I'm gonna to go with Ziploc on this one.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

mwool
Explorer
Explorer
You can always make the camping omelet.

4 quart pot of boiling water.
Quart Freezer Zip Lock bag.
2 eggs
grated cheese
chopped mushrooms
chopped peppers
real bacon bits
chopped spinach
chopped onion

Whatever ingredients you like to use for an omelet?

Place ingredients in bag, seal bag, and mash everything together.
Place bag in boiling water for 13 to 15 minutes. About 3-4 bags can fit in the 4 quart pot.
Dump out of bag on plate and enjoy.

You can always fix the bag the night before and leave in the refrigerator ready to place in the boiling water the next morning, no mess to clean up and throw away plates and silverware work better to have no dishes to clean up too.
You can also add your quests' names on the tap of the each bag (use a Sharpie)that has their favorite ingredients.
Marshall & Nancy
2013 DRV Elite Suite
2011 3500 GMC

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 05/17/09 09:43pm Link | Print | Notify Moderator
Someone mentioned something unique for breakfast, so I dug up this recope I posted back in 2006. It's good!

> Breakfast stuffed potatoes

Like potato skins, but for breakfast:

Bake the number of potatoes you want- baking potatoes are best. Rub with a little olive oil, prick skin, bake at 375 or 400 til done but not overcooked.

Cool potatoes, slice in half, scoop out flesh, leaving a generous amount of potato still in the skin (do all this the same way you would for homemade potato skins)

Rub inside and outside with olive oil, season if you wish, and place in a 500 oven til skins crisp up some.

Meanwhile, soft scramble some eggs, precook whatever breakfast meat you want (crumbled fried buld breakfast sausage is good), toss meat, potato insides, soft egg, and your favorite cheese together.

Sauteed onions or peppers work well too. BAsically, put anything inside that you like in an omelette (raw does not work well, precook everything)

Place egg mixture inside potato skins, return to hot oven til warmed thru and cheese melts.

CAn top with salsa, sour cream, hot peppers, whatever. Can make ahead and refrigerate and warm up before serving.

For "healthier", use extra eggs and throw out (or feed to dog!) half of yolks. I use Jimmy Dean lite breakfast sausage. Skip the cheese or use lite cheese (this weekend I used Sargento lower fat mexican cheese blend). Throw in plenty of veggies, like spinach and broccoli. Serve with fruit, yogurt, or oatmeal and only eat ONE!!!!

The_Dunks
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
For easier:
chunks of cantaloupe and watermelon
donuts and muffins, store bought

I'm with you...cooking breakfast is not one of my favorite things. Luckily for me when we are in the RV my DH has a griddle that he loves to cook outside on!
The Dunks - Terry and Steve
'05 Endeavor - The Oasis
'10 Jeep Liberty
In God We Trust

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Break a dozen eggs into a 12 cup muffin tin and bake (350° for about 10 min. until just firm). Serve them at the table with cooked bacon, sliced ham, cheese and English muffins or biscuits. Everyone can make their own breakfast sandwich.

Or, do it Mexican style by scrambling the eggs with a can of black beans and some taco seasonings. Serve it at the table with salsa, sour cream, grated cheese, and tortillas. Custom breakfast burritos for everyone. Less work for you.

(Sorry, but I can't do the plastic bag/omelette thing. The thought of that plastic leeching into my eggs is enough to ruin my appetite. Just sayin'.)

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

motorhomi
Explorer
Explorer
Our grandkids love "Motormuffies". I developed these when we where going racing every weekend in the summer. They are a quick 1 handed breakfast. Grandkids are old enough now to make their own. Start with a toasted and buttered English muffin, break an egg into a small bowl, add a little butter and stir, cook in the microwave 1 min, add a slice of cheese on the muffin along with pre-cooked bacon, put the egg on top wrap in a napkin and it can go right outside if needed, add coffee or juice and your done !