Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amazon Echo

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else here have one?

Terrific for home automation and much, much more.
23 REPLIES 23

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
Interested in home automation in regard to your lighting...If you are wanting just white lights, consider the following items that work well with the Amazon Echo. Just tell Alexa to turn off this light or that light and lights respond accordingly. Purchase the Phillips Starter Kit ($79) Additional bulbs are $14+. These items can be found at Best Buy and elsewhere. You think you enjoy your Echo now, wait til you use her in home automation.
Phillips Starter Kit #455287
Phillips White HUE Bulb # 455295 (Same bulb that comes with the Phillips Starter Kit #455287)

For color lighting go with: Philips 456210 Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Bulb Starter Kit 2nd Generation ($199)

There are several more systems for Echo/home automation.

Have a look at SmartThings by Samsung and also WINK which
Depot and others sell.

Wink has a active Facebook page too.

Note: For items like space heaters, crock pots, other electrical devices you want want to automate, consider the WEMO Switch or WEMO Insight Switch. They work well with the Echo/Alexa.
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
Friends of ours have one and I am intriqued by it. But, I'm hoping that they add a stereo output so that you can hook it up to a stereo system for listening to music. Yes, the sound of the built in speaker is pretty good but it would be nice to be able to plug it in to something better.

One of the new versions, the Dot, can output to your speakers.

You can just run a 1/8" cable or connect wirelessly
with Bluetooth.

Mine works well.
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I don't want to be an alarmist- this is just an FYI, but afaik, all of the voice recognition systems- Echo, Siri, Cortana, Google Now, etc. are basically an open microphone- none of the voice recognition stuff is done locally, it's all on their servers, which means they are- literally- listening to everything you say.

Ask me if I care that someone would/might be listening.. I could give a darn.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I don't wear a foil hat, but if you think a microphone that's software controlled (when you don't control the code) is secure, I have a bridge to sell...

To be sure this not unique to this device. Phones, tablets, laptops not really any different.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
The point is, it has to always be listening to everything you say to recognize when you say "Alexa". Presumably, it ignores anything that isn't it's wake word.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
It only operates when you say Alexa, then ask her a question. Very similar to Siri, and others.
I always wear my tin foil hat just in case. :W

How secure is Echo.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Anything I have to say would quickly put any listeners to sleep. I have nothing to hide..... Do you?

Chris Bryant wrote:
I don't want to be an alarmist- this is just an FYI, but afaik, all of the voice recognition systems- Echo, Siri, Cortana, Google Now, etc. are basically an open microphone- none of the voice recognition stuff is done locally, it's all on their servers, which means they are- literally- listening to everything you say.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hadn't really thought about it, but that does enable whoever to listen to every conversation that goes on in your home. Give the software a few key words to listen for and a conversation could be held to be examined later. I don't have anything to hide, at least nothing I consider worth hiding, but hard to tell what no such agency would consider slightly subversive. No privacy even in your own home, kind of spooky.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
Very soon, Amazon will release the "Fox" which is a smaller version of the Echo. The Fox will have a battery for those interested in a battery model.

1/11/16 "Amazon is reportedly gearing up to launch a new and portable version of its Amazon Echo device. The Amazon Echo has gained popularity for allowing users to query the smart engine, dubbed Alexa, to learn the weather, sports scores and more. In fact, third parties have turned it into a useful device for doing everything from controlling the smart home, including devices such as smart light bulbs, to checking in on Santaโ€™s progress on Christmas Eve.

The Wall Street Journal said the new version, code named โ€œFox,โ€ will be smaller and portable, which suggests users might be able to take it around to places like the office or vacation homes. That would suggest it will also be capable of storing multiple Wi-Fi networks for use. It will also reportedly use a โ€œdocking stationโ€ for charging and will rely on an internal battery, though will only work with voice commands with a user taps a button, the news outlet explained.

The Wall Street Journal didnโ€™t provide information on possible pricing for the device and only said itโ€™s scheduled to launch in the coming weeks."

Just ask Alexa "What does the fox say". After you get your answer, ask her again.

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
Very soon, Amazon will release the "Fox" which is a smaller version of the Echo. The Fox will have a battery for those interested in a battery model.

1/11/16 "Amazon is reportedly gearing up to launch a new and portable version of its Amazon Echo device. The Amazon Echo has gained popularity for allowing users to query the smart engine, dubbed Alexa, to learn the weather, sports scores and more. In fact, third parties have turned it into a useful device for doing everything from controlling the smart home, including devices such as smart light bulbs, to checking in on Santaโ€™s progress on Christmas Eve.

The Wall Street Journal said the new version, code named โ€œFox,โ€ will be smaller and portable, which suggests users might be able to take it around to places like the office or vacation homes. That would suggest it will also be capable of storing multiple Wi-Fi networks for use. It will also reportedly use a โ€œdocking stationโ€ for charging and will rely on an internal battery, though will only work with voice commands with a user taps a button, the news outlet explained.

The Wall Street Journal didnโ€™t provide information on possible pricing for the device and only said itโ€™s scheduled to launch in the coming weeks."

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in home automation in regard to your lighting...If you are wanting just white lights, consider the following items that work well with the Amazon Echo. Just tell Alexa to turn off this light or that light and lights respond accordingly. Purchase the Phillips Starter Kit ($79) Additional bulbs are $14+. These items can be found at Best Buy and elsewhere. You think you enjoy your Echo now, wait til you use her in home automation.
Phillips Starter Kit #455287
Phillips White HUE Bulb # 455295 (Same bulb that comes with the Phillips Starter Kit #455287)

For color lighting go with: Philips 456210 Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Bulb Starter Kit 2nd Generation ($199)

Note: For items like space heaters, crock pots, other electrical devices you want want to automate, consider the WEMO Switch or WEMO Insight Switch. They work well with the Echo/Alexa.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased one a couple of months ago and use it every day. I even wrote a quick application/skill to prove I could it.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Have had one since Prime members got the beta. We've definitely had it longer than one year though ๐Ÿ™‚

We use it occasionally, but with an iPhone and an Android device, it's less useful for us. Both of us are geeks but we don't run home automation - if the power is out, it's not much good to us.

Mostly we use it for playing music, checking weather, and when watching TV, a laugh when it "hears" something calling its name on the show.

One of the first things I thought it should do is "check my Amazon order". My wife has been a Prime member for years and orders very frequently. probably 8-10 shipments a month. We do a lot of shopping online, it saves us time when we know what we're looking for. But you can't check status of your order via Alexa.

Anyway, if we used more IFTTT or Next or Belkin wireless stuff, it'd be more useful. I bet there are many people opening their garage doors with Alexa ๐Ÿ™‚