cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avast preventing logon of RV.Net

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I switched to Avast from MacAfee and when I try to logon to RV.Net I get this message: Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk. I click run anyway to get on the site. Does anyone know why this is happening? And is there a way to prevent this message in the future, like adding RV.net as a safe site?
8 REPLIES 8

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
First: You said "AVAST" in the title and McAffee in the subject.

As was mentioned you can white list RV.Net..
Avast however has never caused me that problem, Nor has any of the other assorted anti-virals I use, though there is one I do not think I've ever tried here.

What can happen: IN the past I have had this with SOME sites (not this one) sites are ad-supported, some times they subscribe to an ad service (this service pays them so much per visit to allow the service, often Google Ads, to put up ads on the site) Some of those ads may be links to malicious sites.

Some Anti-Viral products will then identify the site as an "Attack Site" Avast does this.. Takes a wile for the site owner to identify the offending ads, Notify the ad service, and the ad service to take action to block that advertiser.
I said in my op that I swiched from Mcafee to Avast and got this warning. I never got the warning from Mcafee so I assume Avast was giving me the warning.Then oldman suggested trying trailer life instead which worked fine!also RV.net worked fine using google chrome . If you read my last post I narrowed the problem down to the desk top icon. Which was not a problem with Avast but rather with the windows icon. After switching to a chrome desktop icon it worked fine with no warning.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First: You said "AVAST" in the title and McAffee in the subject.

As was mentioned you can white list RV.Net..
Avast however has never caused me that problem, Nor has any of the other assorted anti-virals I use, though there is one I do not think I've ever tried here.

What can happen: IN the past I have had this with SOME sites (not this one) sites are ad-supported, some times they subscribe to an ad service (this service pays them so much per visit to allow the service, often Google Ads, to put up ads on the site) Some of those ads may be links to malicious sites.

Some Anti-Viral products will then identify the site as an "Attack Site" Avast does this.. Takes a wile for the site owner to identify the offending ads, Notify the ad service, and the ad service to take action to block that advertiser.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I ended up deleting the old desktop icon and dragging a new one from the google search function onto my desktop and it works fine now. I still don't know what caused the problem in the first place. Thanks for your suggestions.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Try this....add it to "exclusions" in general settings...
See here:.......LINK and scroll down.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
try trailerlife.com
A Google search of trailerlife.com works fine. I just tried rv.net through google also and it works fine. I guess the icon on my desk top is the problem some how. I have been using this icon since Jan when I got the new laptop and has worked fine until I switched to Avast.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
Add RV net to the "white list" in the app settings.
Where do I find the "White list"? When I click on Avast I see Scan, tools, pass words, store and settings. Tried each one but don't see a white list.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
try trailerlife.com
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Add RV net to the "white list" in the app settings.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro