cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I remotely access my router to check temps and webcam?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Century Link DSL with router. I have weather station and webcam that is connected via cable to an old XP laptop that is connected to router via wifi. Is there a way to remotely access the that computer to check house temps and security webcam without spending a bunch of money on software?
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
15 REPLIES 15

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Any suggestions for host computer? I assume that I should turn sleep and hibernation off in the power options as well as auto updates. Probably should also have only necessary programs running at startup.
LogMeIn Pro has the capability of waking a sleeping PC remotely. Maybe the free version does too.

ewylie
Explorer
Explorer
Logmein free version is being phased out quickly.

An alternative is Teamviewer. Install the full version on your remote computer (temp/webcam, remote), select private/non-commercial use. Now install full version on your local computer you will be taking with you (or iOS/Android device).

The bummer of this option is they do not have a web login so you will have to install the software on the local computer - not so easy to hop on a friend's computer to check things out.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Hey folks, OP here. Logmein.com works great. Easy setup. Slick as snot on a doorknob. Thanks much!

You're welcome and here's a tissue!;)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey folks, OP here. Logmein.com works great. Easy setup. Slick as snot on a doorknob. Thanks much!
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
ewylie wrote:
jcpainter wrote:
If you just need to have remote access to your online laptop, install the free version of "Logmein" on the laptop.

Watch very carefully as you download, to be sure you download the free home version and NOT the 30-day Free Trial of "Logmein Pro".

x2

Very nice remote connection for free (non commercial use). very little setup, no configuration to the router, no need for fixed IP address or DDNS setup. Configure your laptop to be always on, the screen and HDD can be powered down. As long as the Logmein program is running on your laptop, you can access it from any browser through the logmein site.

When signing up for logmein - pay close attention, make sure you are getting the free version... as noted above.

I went to Logmein's website and read through their information. Looks pretty straight forward and doable. Had the fancy Cisco remote access back when I was working.

Any suggestions for host computer? I assume that I should turn sleep and hibernation off in the power options as well as auto updates. Probably should also have only necessary programs running at startup.
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

ewylie
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
If you just need to have remote access to your online laptop, install the free version of "Logmein" on the laptop.

Watch very carefully as you download, to be sure you download the free home version and NOT the 30-day Free Trial of "Logmein Pro".

x2

Very nice remote connection for free (non commercial use). very little setup, no configuration to the router, no need for fixed IP address or DDNS setup. Configure your laptop to be always on, the screen and HDD can be powered down. As long as the Logmein program is running on your laptop, you can access it from any browser through the logmein site.

When signing up for logmein - pay close attention, make sure you are getting the free version... as noted above.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
There are several services that will give you access to your lan from the internet. Examples are:
no-ip
XName.org
Changeip.com
FreeDNS.org

Do a search for DDNS or Dynamic DNS services. You'll get a bunch of hits.
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
Setup Teamviewer on your laptop to access it securely and remotely.
It's free for non-commercial use.

Download: http://www.teamviewer.com/
Instructions: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/first_steps_unattended_access_en.pdf

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Kart-Racer wrote:
Most webcams have a built in web server that allows you to access it remotely. ....

For my weather station I access it via a webpage I created. The software include with the weather station will upload to a web page.

True, if he is using webcams, but from his using a laptop with XP, I expect he is using that as a server for his cam and weather.

If so, I would hesitate to open ports to the laptop.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. We do just that with three thermometers and two cameras (in a chicken coop/greenhouse). You don't need the laptop, just a wireless router. IP cameras and wireless weather stations can talk directly to the router. The cameras will take a little networking effort, but you should be able to find instructions on the manufactures web site. The thermometers were easy to set up. I believe I saw IP cameras at Costco just the other day.

Steve

Kart-Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Most webcams have a built in web server that allows you to access it remotely. I use Foscams and Ubiquity AirCams they both have remote access. If it does not, you have to open a port in your router that points to your web cam. Usually called port forwarding in the router options. That port number also has to be assigned to the camera in its firmware as well. You then access the camera via your WAN IP address and the port number: http://123.456.789.000:xx xx = the port number.

I use software from a third party called Blue Iris to access my cams.

For my weather station I access it via a webpage I created. The software include with the weather station will upload to a web page.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
n7bsn wrote:
In other words, this is not something a non-techie should consider doing.

You would have to know the IP address assigned by DHCP or assign a domain name with DDNS. Then open the appropriate ports or enable IPSEC passthrough.

In other words, what he said above.
Larry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, if you have a weather station or camera it is possible on many routers to set up a "DMZ" item or two... Or port forwarding by another name.

You could, for example. forward all calls to port 80 to the camera (Streaming video)

There is a downside of this.

It is doubtful any hacker can hack a read only device like a camera.

Likewise the temp sensor. Though I know not the port.

But the problem is.. port 80 also is used by streaming video TO your computer. so you might need to "Un-forward" when at home.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times