Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

brenthunt
Explorer
Explorer
VerizonWireless Broadband access using thier V620 air card for $79.99 a month and is separate from my cell phone is amazing. I get on at about 600 kbs up to 1200 kbps always here in San Diego. we're going to Lake Skinner, CA Thursday and I'll be interested at what speed, if any, I can connect.
Brent
BreconProducts.com
eyebowl@softhome.net
๐Ÿ™‚

beekay
Explorer
Explorer
also just found out that with cingular and the media.net package, modem based calling is not offered as it was with ATT and some of the other plans, PLUS they charge you .01 cents per kilobit (8 bits to a byte) and is TOTALLY separate from the minute plan. this sucks and is very disapointing to me as i changed from ATT and did not have this issue. just wanted to close the loop for those with Cingular (do your checking before dialing in!)
bk

beekay
Explorer
Explorer
jflanagan wrote:
Great post.

For those that haven't tried this yet, keep in mind that you cannot recieve a phone call while your phone is being used as a modem.

Now that dedicated data cards are down to $49 to $149, it might be worth picking one up.

Also, at least verizon is slowly expanding their broadband access service (which their $149 cards are forward compatible with) and it offers 300kbps-2mbps speeds. They'll probably have phones soon that are compatible with it too. They might already. But I'd rather have a pcmcia card in my laptop for $149 than tie up my cell phone.

$80/month is a lot, but verizon (and probably other carriers) have started monitoring bandwidth and have the right to shut down your data connection if they figure out you're using the phone as a modem tethered to your PC to avoid paying the $79/mo.

There is a way to use the phone as a phone and a PC hookup. I used it when I had ATT. you do not use it as a modem, instead you use the edge (or your cell providers version of this)network. There is a configuration in the phone that you will set up to do this. it is a special number (4-5 digits i think) and it is set up by the modem configuration in your phone. I could be on a confrence call while getting email. very cool.

the choice between the wireless Card for your PC or the phone modem option is really how much you will be on the road. if you are a full timer, or on the road often, or like to surf the net, you will not want to use the phone modem option, it is slow and costly (unless you have an unlimited download plan, then it is just slow). If you are an occassional user, just need to suck email, or send your email from the road, the phone modem option is good, just set it up right.

As far as Bluetooth, I think some were concerned with the distance limitation. 30 feet is pretty good. we are not talking wi-fi here, just a link between your phone and your laptop. BT is one of the best kept secrets in technology. it has been around for many years and is only now starting to get the credit it deserves. car manufacturers are now making cars BT enabled,so you dont have to have that special phone or cable to make hands free work in your car. wireless headsets are getting cheaper and the batteries are better now than just 2 years ago. my jabra headset gets 5-8 hours of talk time out of it.

bk

04admiral
Explorer
Explorer
I am using Nextel. It costs $45.00 per month unlimited access and no minutes off my phone. It is slow but it does work anywhere that I can get phone reception. It allow me to view and send email and to surf the web. There is no software. You just call , in my case, Motorola and they set everything up. It runs about 60 bps.

1Maverick
Explorer
Explorer
I have not read all the posts thoroughly regarding internet access via cell phone so I apologize if this topic has been already covered.

Is there any benefit in getting an antennae booster (like Smooth Talker) to increase signal strength in dark or dead signal areas. Has anyone had any experience with other type antennae boosters for cell phones? Would this be helpful in eliminating dropped calls or eliminating disconnects when on the internet?

In theory it seems very useful ----your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Richard
2004 Diplomat with 2002 4X4 Yukon Toad or 2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD
FMCA# F373941

david_stainback
Explorer
Explorer
We got a T-mobile air card $99.00, best money I have ever spent for the computer.I surf the net any time, any place. Cruise/surf down the road.

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
brenthunt wrote:
I just bought a VerizonWireless v620 PCMCIA card for $150.00 with a $100.00 mailin rebate. The monthly charge is $79.99. I also bought a EV-DO booster antenna that added two bars to the signal I was getting. Now I can use my laptop anywhere there is a Verizon signal.

I have been connecting at about 500 kps instead of the Quick2Net of 35 kps. It's more costly but so is a lot of other things we spend our money on.

I can surf now and the pages are loaded instantly. I just downloaded the Mozilla browser of 11.4 MB in less than five minutes.

Don't forget, folks: EV-DO service is available in only 30 large cities, not "anywhere there is a Verizon signal".
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
c.heifner wrote:
I'm thinking maybe the easiest & best solution is just use Verizon's aircard as it seems to have the best coverage, my cell phone for the areas the aircard doesn't cover and my laptop with it's WiFi card when I can. $60 a month for the unlimited minutes(National Enhanced Service) aircard is okay with me. Can anybody tell me if I need to be knowledgable about the kind of phone I get or just let the Verizon rep guide me? I know I will need the Mobile Office too, right?

Also, can anybody tell me what kind of speed they get with the Verizon aircard vs. the cell phone? Do you still have to try & find a CG with WiFi/modem or are you okay just with this setup?

The Aircard doesn't get you anything you won't get with your cell phone, except in the 30 large cities that have EV-DO broadband access. For the rest of the country, we get NationalAccess service (144 kbps tops) almost all the time. Where that is not available, the 14.4 Quick 2 Net service is usually available.

Practically speaking, I get around 100-130 kbps on the NationalAccess network when downloading large files. Web surfing "feels" slower than a 56 kbps dialup line.

Before signing up for anything, join the InternetByCellPhone forum on Yahoo and read the Verizon tutorial in the Files section. All will be revealed.
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

Cody47
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Kyocera 650 wireless card and the NAtional Access plan (59.99 - unlimited use). Works well when I have a good signal, but it seems to slow down dramatically as the signal degrades. There is an external antenna connection on the card, but I am having a tough time finding an adaptor. I would like to add both an antenna and an amplifier (to use with the aircard and my Motorolla phone).

Anyone doing something like this? How does it work?

Many thanks
Rick
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
2010 Buick Lacrosse Toad
http://fulltime-rv.blogspot.com/

brenthunt
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a VerizonWireless v620 PCMCIA card for $150.00 with a $100.00 mailin rebate. The monthly charge is $79.99. I also bought a EV-DO booster antenna that added two bars to the signal I was getting. Now I can use my laptop anywhere there is a Verizon signal.

I have been connecting at about 500 kps instead of the Quick2Net of 35 kps. It's more costly but so is a lot of other things we spend our money on.

I can surf now and the pages are loaded instantly. I just downloaded the Mozilla browser of 11.4 MB in less than five minutes.
Brent
BreconProducts.com
eyebowl@softhome.net
๐Ÿ™‚

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, I am not quite getting all what I need answered.

I current run an America's Choice Plan on my Verizon Wireless Phone.
To use it with my laptop, I need to use a "King of Clubs" PCMCIA card to connect it as a modem.

Now, in order to do this, I need to have access to data communication.

1.) Does America's Choice have this?
2.) Does it use regular Air-time minutes?
3.) What ISP would I use in this configuration?
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

c_heifner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking maybe the easiest & best solution is just use Verizon's aircard as it seems to have the best coverage, my cell phone for the areas the aircard doesn't cover and my laptop with it's WiFi card when I can. $60 a month for the unlimited minutes(National Enhanced Service) aircard is okay with me. Can anybody tell me if I need to be knowledgable about the kind of phone I get or just let the Verizon rep guide me? I know I will need the Mobile Office too, right?

Also, can anybody tell me what kind of speed they get with the Verizon aircard vs. the cell phone? Do you still have to try & find a CG with WiFi/modem or are you okay just with this setup?

Once I get this internet access solved I will be so relieved as I have been so confused.

Thanks for any replies.

PS We hit the road for 9 months to a year on Aug. 6th. So excited!
Carol & Jerry
2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 AT
2004 Everest 323K
Winston, the black cocker wannabe

FloraBama
Explorer
Explorer
I got the T-Mobile Sony-Erikson card yesterday and it is slick. No problem installing; in total it took about 5 minutes. The speed is about 56K, don't know for sure because I can't figure out how to check the speed. Good signals in Pensacola yesterday and solid in Orlando today.. and the price at $29.99/month for unlimited Internet fits my budget just fine.
2005 Dolphin 34' Workhorse W22
2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 Crew Cab~Blue Ox Aventa II~SMI Stay n Play
FMCA #355857

Okie_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have Cingular and all I did was get their data package for 3.99 a month. Then all I do is connect to my Internet provider using my Cell Phone and use my minutes. If I call after 8 PM I don't even have to use my minutes.

Southal
Explorer
Explorer
I too have been researching the internet by cell phone topic. Problem is I have Cingular wireless and it just rubs me raw that I will have to pay them another $25.00 a month for data service. Not to mention upgrade my cellphone (currently using 6340i). I already pay them $99.00 a month for unlimted nation wide calling not to mention my ISP is Bellsouth (aka Cingular)who I pay $15.00 a month for dial up, and $60.00 a month for home phone. These blood sucking leaches just dont give up do they? Just venting a litle bit here, sorry.
Anyway if I do give in to thier demands I will prolly get a bluetooth enabled phone since I have a bluetooth dongle on my Dell Inspiron laptop which is using Windows XP. Can any one offer some advice
(which would be the best phone, ect...)to help make this an easy experiance and as painless as possable? Also has anyone found a way to use your regular Cingular minutes to connect to the internet via cellphone? What can I say I'm cheap! Thanks for the help.