Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

MrWizard
Soon to Retire wrote:
I will be full time on the road in March 2006!! Yeh! BUT, I am at a loss for what I need concerning phone/internet hookups. While reading all these posts, I am even more confused. I am computer literate, still working as ex.sec., but what is WiFy? What is "tethered" laptop? I will be looking into purchasing a laptop soon. Also want national service,no roaming cell phone. I will be using internet mostly for e-mail. I don't think I need unlimited hours as I do now with my DSL. Can someone make this a bit easier for me? Thanks in advance!!!:)

Wi-FI

means 'wireless fidelity'

it is short range, radio freq ( wireless ) networking

most new laptops come with it built-in, or you can buy a USB wifi unit that plugs into the USB port, or a wifi 'card' that slips into the pciami slot on the side of the laptop

it allows a PC to link to a network-hub and connect to other compiters or the internet without a 'network cable'

wifi at work or the coffee shop , means you can take your 'notebook pc' ( work ) to another office or to the coffee shop and still be connected

wifi was designed to replace/augment wired-networks so people could move around and NOT be bound by the restrains of cable

range typically about 80ft but can be extended somewhat.

at home or the RV park or coffee shop extened wifi means you can sit on the patio and still read your email or surf the web

at the coffee shop or RV park you MAY have to pay for the priviledge of connecting to the wireless 'hotspot'

tethered

means there is a cable connecting the cellphone to the laptop and the cellphone is the 'modem' connecting you to the ISP ( internet service provider ) most cell companies provide the ISP connection for their subscripers ( it's that service and time you pay for {$70} )
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
wesdevoe wrote:
What is the Verizon server name that is used to send email?

Is it an SMTP server??

The Verizon Wireless SMTP server is smtp.vzwmail.net, but you need to set up your account to access it. Go to www.vtext.com and click the "Join Up" button.

It's free.
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

Ms_Vagabond
Explorer
Explorer
I will be full time on the road in March 2006!! Yeh! BUT, I am at a loss for what I need concerning phone/internet hookups. While reading all these posts, I am even more confused. I am computer literate, still working as ex.sec., but what is WiFy? What is "tethered" laptop? I will be looking into purchasing a laptop soon. Also want national service,no roaming cell phone. I will be using internet mostly for e-mail. I don't think I need unlimited hours as I do now with my DSL. Can someone make this a bit easier for me? Thanks in advance!!!:)
Ms. Vagabond
2004 3500 Dodge Ram
2006 Excel RSE33
Golden Retriever Buddies

RVTRAVELERS1997
Explorer
Explorer
hey there, we used the connectivy kit with alltel and it worked great for rhe last two years, when we bought this new computer we went with bluetooth and altel sells a 80211g that sends and receives at around200-500kbps.if you are in a anilog area and /or the broodband won't work in a bad signal area there is a standard dial-up 14.4kbps that helps cover the dead zones. don't know if you have seen this or noy we have had this and so far its great. we have unlimited service,nationwide service,no roming and no long distance for $70. a month and no minites. 24/7. great when im using gps in the streets and trips!

wesdevoe
Explorer
Explorer
rebelsbeach wrote:
Nascarcruzin wrote:
I use the Verizon's air card. It, so far, has been really great!

Rebecca

Me too!!

What is the Verizon server name that is used to send email?

Is it an SMTP server??

janedennis
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who are thinking about bluetooth, be careful, my bluetooth connected to t-mobile worked fine and then it quit. Tryed another bluetooth donagle usb and then it didn't work. So I changed to a tethered laptop and now it works great with less hassles hooking up.
Dennis and Jane
1 Jack Russel Terrier = "Ruger"
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel 4x4
35' Hitchhiker Discovery/2 slides
:B
Full Timing It and Loving It

rebelsbeach
Explorer
Explorer
Nascarcruzin wrote:
I use the Verizon's air card. It, so far, has been really great!

Rebecca

Me too!!
2007 London Aire Diesel Bus
2005 ATC 24' Stacker Trailer
'07 Hummer H3 and Custom golf cart inside
Idirect F2 on 93W

wesdevoe
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Cingular PC Air Card to connect to internet - Cost me $79 a month for unlimited data upload / download with no roaming charges. Cinguar has very extensive coverage. I use Microsoft Office-Outlook for my email program -- Very seldom have problems receiving emails- Sending is somewhat sporadic - The Cingular mail server (www.cwmx.com) is designed for Text messaging and sometime large files will not transmit. However once you are connected to the internet WEBMAIL works great. I have a Road Runner High speed connection in my home and can access and send via the RR Webmail address www.webmail.nycap.rr.com when I am in RV.

FrankenSue
Explorer
Explorer
NASAGuy: I found exactly the same situation as you did with Cingular. I also have Cingular Nation as I found it has the most extensive coverage in my travel areas.

I have become quite discouraged with the cell phone internet connection scenario as the providers do not seem to be able to consistently answer questions nor do they provide accurate coverage information. Cingular informed me that service will only be available in metro coverage areas (IF they permit it and don't re-priortize usage; they apparently reserve the right to make it unavailable without notice or apology)and the only plan that controls cost is $80/month on a yearly subscription basis to avoid the horrific per kb charges.

Since the price is high and there is no certainty of availability in non-metro areas (Geez, I can catch free wifi in metro areas!) I am unhappily not wired on the road. My husband and I go through the motions at least yearly of rechecking all the providers to see if anyone has a flexible, affordable internet plan with reasonable coverage. We keep hoping...
Frank 'n Sue & Cassie, the Bichon
'03 GulfStream Yellowstone Quattro

mekkerfest
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a Verizon cell phone connected to the RS232 of my laptop since 2001.
At that time it cost me $25 to buy the cable and software (which also compress the data) from Verizon. When connected to a digital tower, I can do everything on the internet in my motorhome as in my home. Except, at home I have Roadrunner cable which is much faster than the 14.4 KBPS of my cell phone connection. I do not pay anything extra for the laptop connection.
I have a very basic service (300 minutes prime time, 1500 minutes after 9 and weekends) which may not be available anymore. Using this connection I do not have to worry about telephone numbers. Before roadrunner, I was connected to MSN as a provider and that also worked great.
The slow data rate teaches you patience. I up load all my pictures to my WebSite, mekkerfest.com, using this connection, along with e-mail, bill paying, and monitoring the stock market. But I am sure that by now there are much faster and better connections to the Web using the USB.
I am happy with what I have ($35 per month for the cell phone and the data interface) so I do not plan on looking into something faster. I still use Office 97! Why change?
Half Timers, RVing since 1966, Check out our trips on www.mekkerfest.com
04 Adventurer 35U + 08 Saturn VUE
Camped in 49 States & 8 Provinces. Visited 48 National Parks

Rickit
Explorer
Explorer
Sprint allows you to use the "snap dialer" set up as well and they charge by the kb...not cheap..I bought their "Connection Card" and pay $60/mo for unlimited access..it works great all over and there are no cables. The speed is faster than a dial up and just a tad slower than dsl..I love it.
2001 3500 Chevy
1999 Avion Savanah triple slide
Why did I ever wait to full time for so long?

RicB
Explorer
Explorer
Gritz wrote:
AnnaandGreg,
I too have the Motorola V60 and tried getting help from the local Verizon stores , but to no avail. Most were confused or gave me the wrong information. Frustrated I contacted Verizon Support through Verizon's Internet online access and they came back with a step by step walk-through on how to setup. We have 2 Verizons cell phones, and on the "IN" plan, for $65.00 a month total. I bit the bullet and bought the Mobile Office Kit I think it's called, hoping that it "should" work. You get a data cable and the software for your V60 cell phone. It was a piece of cake setting it up this way. My first opportunity to try it was in Sun Valley about 3 weeks ago. It worked flawless .... and from that location anyway, was very (VERY) fast using the National Access Plan. The Q2N was slower ... and the business plan is $80 a month, and I'm not about to pay for using that. I don't think they're advertising it much, not wanting to overload and slow down the system ... but that's just my theory. Anyway ... I'm very satisfied that it will work any time I have a cell signal.. and give me all the Internet connection I'll ever need. Good Luck with yours.

Gritz

I did what Gritz did. Started using it about 2 months. I switched from Nextel. The mobile ofc. works great for me. I bought it off ebay for $20.
2006 42' Allegro Bus
FMCA - F311884

Gritz
Explorer
Explorer
AnnaandGreg,
I too have the Motorola V60 and tried getting help from the local Verizon stores , but to no avail. Most were confused or gave me the wrong information. Frustrated I contacted Verizon Support through Verizon's Internet online access and they came back with a step by step walk-through on how to setup. We have 2 Verizons cell phones, and on the "IN" plan, for $65.00 a month total. I bit the bullet and bought the Mobile Office Kit I think it's called, hoping that it "should" work. You get a data cable and the software for your V60 cell phone. It was a piece of cake setting it up this way. My first opportunity to try it was in Sun Valley about 3 weeks ago. It worked flawless .... and from that location anyway, was very (VERY) fast using the National Access Plan. The Q2N was slower ... and the business plan is $80 a month, and I'm not about to pay for using that. I don't think they're advertising it much, not wanting to overload and slow down the system ... but that's just my theory. Anyway ... I'm very satisfied that it will work any time I have a cell signal.. and give me all the Internet connection I'll ever need. Good Luck with yours.

Gritz

mekkerfest
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a Verizon cell phone connected to the RS232 of my laptop since 2001.
At that time it cost me $25 to buy the cable and software from Verizon. I can do everything on the internet in my motorhome as in my home. Except, at home I have Roadrunner cable which is much faster than the 14.4 KBPS of my cell phone connection. I do not pay anything extra for the laptop connection. And the slow data rate teaches you patience. I only use the cell phone connection after 9 PM and on weekends, when the minutes are free. I up load all of my pictures to my WebSite, mekkerfest.com, using this connection, along with e-mail, bill paying, and monitoring the stock market. But I am sure that by now there are much faster and better connections to the Web.
I am happy with what I have so I do not plan on looking into something faster. I still use Office 97! Why change?
Half Timers, RVing since 1966, Check out our trips on www.mekkerfest.com
04 Adventurer 35U + 08 Saturn VUE
Camped in 49 States & 8 Provinces. Visited 48 National Parks

Nedra
Explorer
Explorer
You can get the EDGE technology from T-Mobile, Verizon or Cingular and you don't have to buy their pc card. You can buy a sony ericsson GC83 with EDGE technology on Ebay. You just have to search for one that says UNLOCKED. We just got ours and signed up with T-Mobile. Their plan is only $29.95 and you get unlimited minutes. They also just got EDGE technology. You will get the faster service in areas where they have the EDGE already up and running, where it's not it will be comparable to dial up.

T-mobile does not currently sell a pc card that has EDGE technology so you have to buy it elsewhere. The sales people in their stores can set your pc card up with a SIM card and your good to go. Just make sure that if you order on ebay that it says it's UNLOCKED. We bought it from sunsunsun and got it yesterday. Last night we were surfing the net at faster speed than our desk top which is still on dial up. Seems to work great so far.
Alan & Nedra
Allie (Golden Retriever)
Shadow (Golden/Lab mix)
2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
2009 Ford Flex toad