Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

riverchick
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. I was just about to ask about all this;)

Jackjagt
Explorer
Explorer
Communications on the road.
We solved our biggest frustration on-the-road, expensive ($3/min)cell phone plans, by going WiFi.
Our computer has built in WiFi, we signed up for Skype (the most advanced service) VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocal)telephone, with a cheap prepaid "Skypeout" card for calling regular land line telephones anywhere in the world. (Computer to computer calls are free).
We stop and camp only at locations that offer free WiFi access (more & more campgrounds are offering this because it's cheap for them and lots of RVers like us will ONLY go where open WiFi is available).
We still have a cell phone but use it less.
Life's a Trip!
Greyhead & a cute Brunette
07 Safari Cheetah 36PPD
02 red VW Jetta TDI toad
FMCA F226315,
Ontario OverLanders
Michigan Knights
Skype "merrieyacht'

danbjr
Explorer
Explorer
Have used T-Mobile internet for three months last year on East coast, and since Jan 1st now coming from NJ to CA and wandering around West coast. We have cable to one cell phone. As long as we get one bar of connection, internet works. Yes, it is slow, but it works. All cell phone connections are slow. New EDGE connection is faster, but costs more. We have T-Mobile for talking, so adding internet using one ofour two phones costs $20 per month, unlimited. We can add unlimited hotspot usage for $10 per month. This would use the built in WIFI when we go to a T-Mobile hotspot, such as Starbucks or Borders Books.

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
You should take a look at the Verizon site:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/index.html?my=off

On the "Personal" tab, select PDA/Smartphones, and follow the prompts from there. I could tell you what shows up when I go there today, but you may get a different result tomorrow or in a different geographical market.

For what it's worth, I have an old $39.99 America's Choice voice plan and the $44.99 unlimited Broadband/NationalAccess data plan. I don't know whether those are still available.

Hope that helps.
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Dave from AK wrote:
We have been paying for unlimited data with Verizon for over three years now. I recently switched my phone to a PDA/phone. The advantage is that unlimited data is only $44.99/month on a PDA/phone. You might consider that when it comes time to upgrade your phone to an EVDO-capable model.

what type of voice/data plan is required? is data charged against minutes? this really interest me, would appreciate details ๐Ÿ™‚
RVing since '74..

JeffreyCentex
Explorer
Explorer
Only if you get EVDO access. National Access only via card is still $59.99. Broadband Access is 79.99 sans plan and 59.99 with plan.

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
Pam, your post re Sprint PCS card is misleading. To get the $60 unlimited data deal, you must also have a voice subscription with Sprint! The Sprint Mobile Broadband web site clearly states "$59.99/month with a Sprint wireless voice subscription or $79.99/month without." Nuff said.

EbonyPriestess
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I became full timers in March of this year. I researched the best ways to access the internet while on the road because I need to use my computer daily. I finally decided to invest in a media center laptop and I got a Sprint PCS Card. The PCS card connects you to the internet instantly and you don't have to worry about the expense of dial up, roaming and overusage costs. You pay a flat $60 per month and no more internet worries AT ALL. The PCS Card is only about $60 or $75. Sprint was much cheaper than Verizon, which charges $80 for the card and $80 per month unless you contract for your cellular service with them also, in which case it was $60. The PCS card is unlimited. If you have an on-line business or order goods and services online or have IM and email contacts all over the world, the Sprint PCS card is the way to go. RVing to me is about simplyfying life, not making it more complicated and I find that accessing the internet with a PCS card, in addition to being far more cost effective than any other method, is also the simplest way to connect with the internet at any place and at any time.
Pam Jackson

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
DemoDiva wrote:
I used my Verizon mobile office kit and cell phone for two months during my free minutes - no problem, just the extra cost of the kit. Then we decided since we were going fulltiming this month we would get a 2nd cell phone - or second line as Verizon calls it for $9.99 extra a month. And then - I couldn't connect online with our original cell phone as I'd been doing?? What the heck? Called Verizon tech support and after two hours of checking and redoing everything they tell me, "Oh yeah you aren't set up for the data use plan and we can set it up right now, for $60+ extra a month". So he set it all up just to see if it would make the difference and two minutes later, I was all connected online again. Magic...only takes $$$$. "Why", I ask "was I able to connect like this for free for a couple of months and now I have to pay?" and the answer was,"you made a change in your plan, and whenever others change their plans who have been using it for their free minutes without charge, will also find out they won't be able to connect until they sign up for the data plan at $60+ extra a month. Verizon has decided no more free ride, but you can go online anytime now, not just during your free minutes. However, your minutes still apply for your talking time."

The moral of the story is --- don't change your plan with Verizon if you want to use free minutes for your online time at no charge.

Now can someone tell me if I got the "snapdialer" program would I be able to go back to using my free minutes free and cancel the the data plan with Verizon???

Snapdialer won't help you. It is merely an alternative to the Mobile Office Kit, and your Verizon account will still need to have data access added to it.

We have been paying for unlimited data with Verizon for over three years now. I recently switched my phone to a PDA/phone. The advantage is that unlimited data is only $44.99/month on a PDA/phone. You might consider that when it comes time to upgrade your phone to an EVDO-capable model.
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

DemoDiva
Explorer
Explorer
I used my Verizon mobile office kit and cell phone for two months during my free minutes - no problem, just the extra cost of the kit. Then we decided since we were going fulltiming this month we would get a 2nd cell phone - or second line as Verizon calls it for $9.99 extra a month. And then - I couldn't connect online with our original cell phone as I'd been doing?? What the heck? Called Verizon tech support and after two hours of checking and redoing everything they tell me, "Oh yeah you aren't set up for the data use plan and we can set it up right now, for $60+ extra a month". So he set it all up just to see if it would make the difference and two minutes later, I was all connected online again. Magic...only takes $$$$. "Why", I ask "was I able to connect like this for free for a couple of months and now I have to pay?" and the answer was,"you made a change in your plan, and whenever others change their plans who have been using it for their free minutes without charge, will also find out they won't be able to connect until they sign up for the data plan at $60+ extra a month. Verizon has decided no more free ride, but you can go online anytime now, not just during your free minutes. However, your minutes still apply for your talking time."

The moral of the story is --- don't change your plan with Verizon if you want to use free minutes for your online time at no charge.

Now can someone tell me if I got the "snapdialer" program would I be able to go back to using my free minutes free and cancel the the data plan with Verizon???
Jerry & Carolyn
The Chief & DemoDiva

58KCb
Explorer
Explorer
Over the past 5 years or so, the following has been our internet access staple(s): Older VZN plan (National single rate w/2000 free weekend minutes per month)using Q2net. In addition, a T-Mobile plan currently using a Motorola V66 with PeoplePC as the ISP. Also, a Linksys Wireless-G PCMCIA card in case we wander into a Wi-Fi area.

FWIW: Although we've found signal availability superior using our VZN service (dig and analog), the on-line access has been 50% VZN and 50% T-Mobile. Only downside with the T-Mobile is 9600 bps:(........still much faster than 0.0bps.:) Wi-Fi access has been very spotty.
Never slap a man who's chewin' tobacco!

Dave & Chris
05 SRW 4X4 3500 QC LB Ram CTD 48RE
05 HitchHiker II LS 34.5 RLTG

genealogyetc
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding "Crabbypatty"'s question. I just signed up also with Verizon and could not send also. As a result, I called the 1-888-308-5005 Verizon number and they talked me through changing the email output to a "verizon" server, not my own internet server. The technician stated that sometimes this needs to be done--also takes maybe 48 hours to take effect. Hopefully, my advice is correct and I am not leading you in the wrong direction.

MrWizard
if your phone is 2years old or newer, should not have a problem

if it less than 5 years you should be able to do quicknet even if you can't do NA 1xrtt service

my old qualcomm/kyocera 850 slimline will do QN , i used it for 3 years before getting out curent LG phones in 2004
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
retiredhappy wrote:
Great thresd.

I have Verizon America's Choice - unlimited nites and weekends.

Was told phone MUST BE a trimode to work and a lot of the newer phones are duel mode.

Actually, they must be digital to work. "Tri-mode" means analog as well as both digital bands. You only need a tri-mode phone if you need to make voice calls in analog-only areas. Without a special PC Card, you can't use your phone for Internet connectivity in analog areas.

In addition to the other Yahoo forums mentioned earlier, you can get courteous answers to wireless connectivity questions at this forum.

Hope that helps.
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
04admiral wrote:
What is mok???

Mobile Office Kit.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)