cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct tv use

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
Just got Direct at home. Would like to also have in the coach.
Question.
If we are using the system on the road could the system still be used at home for the house sitter?
17 REPLIES 17

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Genie and an Hr24. When we upgraded, I asked the installer if having the Genie would be required on the road, and he said yes - if you wanted to use one of the small tuners. I asked him to leave the HR24, and we take that with us as we travel.

I have a standard definition dish (18" round, single LNB) dish I setup when i'm on the road. It takes me about 10 minutes to setup the tripod and the dish pointed correctly to get the signal.

I've not tried the HD signal yet, but it seems that it would be worth it if I spent a lot of time watching TV when I'm on the road.

Josh

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Genie and an H25. The LNB is only capable of handling 8 channels so you could have a Genie, an HR24 (2 more tuner) and an H25 (1 more tuner) but you could not have a Genie and 2 HR24's as that would total 9 channels. (Yes, I know special hardware will give you more channels but seriously!!!!
Generally, it is very hard to get 2 Genies on the same account since that would be 10 tuners!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Genie system and one H24 box. We take the H24 and the people at the house use the Genie just fine. You can have both a Genie system and another box type.

We use a VueCube that is manual set up. It is not that tough and takes about 5-10 minutes the first time. It takes five or so minutes once the setup for that area is in the box. But, it is all plastic which makes me nervous to leave it out at night or when we leave the TT. We lock it, but it would only take a second to break the plastic handle and be gone.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, last I knew Direct will NOT allow another receiver on a Genie account. If that has changed since the att take over then so be it. Taking the genie is butt simple to do. Setting up a ground based dish takes way more effort.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
as far ass buying an extra dish to leave in the camper, checkout amazon, the price is reasonable - not hundreds.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may want to learn to aim an HD dish. Far more pleasing to the eye.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info, looks like calling DTV for the box will be the simplest way to go also will have their support. Don't care much about local programming just some of the parks have limited cable.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just because you have a Genie in your house does not mean that you could not also have a standard receiver like an H24 or a DVR like the HR24. You could then take the Genie and the babysitter would still have satellite TV or you could take the H(R)24 with you and leave the Genie at home. Just depends upon who wants what.
As mentioned, the receiver in the RV will get the same channels at home and this includes the Network channels. So, once you move a few hundred miles (more or less) you will lose ALL Network programming (ABC, NBC, etc.). You can call in and have DirecTV change your service location to where the RV is located but doing so will effect all receivers on the account so your home receiver will stop receiving ALL Network programming.
If one of you has an OTA TV antenna you can use that for the local Network programming and you don't have to call anyone to do anything as ALL of the other cable type programming will be available no matter where you park the RV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
WE do exactly what John Wayne suggests. We have a wireless, all-house genie system for the house and purchased an older, non HD box for the RV. It is $7. more a month. No problems for anyone. It's totally fine with Direct TV as well. When we get to our campsite, we simply call them and have our box 'reset' so we can then get local channels. Unfortunately, DH just told me Direct TV said they are getting rid of that. He then said that your home's local channels will be available on an "old" box if Direct TV broadcasts the stations in both HD and standard formats. That may depend on how the actual tv station broadcasts, or it may be a decision by Direct TV. Our local stations in Myrtle Beach only broadcast in HD, so we will not be able to receive them through our RV's Direct TV set up anymore. We'll have to depend on the traditional, top of the roof over the air antenna. There is a program Direct TV offers, for a monthly fee (Think it's about #3.00/ per channel) where you can receive network stations through a standard box wherever you are. It will be the network's national feed. Hope this isn't too confusing!! Your best idea might be to call Direct TV. That's what we did and they were very helpful. Used to be they had a real problem with taking a box on the road. No more!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I understand the OP's question. If you have the old style system, a box at every TV, then yes you can take a box on the road. We used to take our bedroom box with us and used a portable antenna on a tripod.

We now use the Wireless Genie system with a roof-mounted Travler antenna. We must take the entire system from the house when we go on the road so a housesitter would not have tv.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
You will not get local channels over 250 miles from home. You should have an over air antenna for local channels in the area where you camp.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the Genie I don't think you will be able to do it and still have Directv at home. IF you can find an older box to receive non-HD and add that to your home account for $7.00 a month. Then you can leave the Genie at home for the house sitter and leave the other box in the RV for when you are on the road and have an easier time setting up the dish to receive Directv as you only have to find one bird. Thats what I do.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will assume you have the wireless Genie and mini Genies for second TVs?
If so you cannot have another box on your account. Sooo, you will need to take the Genie, video bridge, and a mini genie for your other TVs. To that you will need to wire your RV with new coax from a convenient outside location to the main TV location. Then it will only be necessary to buy an outside antenna. That can take the form of a tripod dish assembly for around 200 dollars, or an automatic rooftop antenna for around 1500 dollars. The rooftop can be very limited because of trees, whereas the ground antenna can be hard to setup. There is no dome type antenna that I know of that can be used with the Genie system.

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, the grandson will be glad to hear that.