cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV Receiver Access Card

hikersc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DirecTV standard definition receiver that a purchased years ago and is not leased. When I go camping, I call and activate the receiver and then deactivate when I return. I have done this for years. Following a recent trip, I received a pre-paid envelope in the mail asking me to return the access card from the receiver that I had deactivated.

I called CS and was informed that this is their policy and they acted like it had been in place for some time. I explained that I had activated and deactivated my owned receiver for years and had never been asked to return an access card. After lots of time on the phone, I was told that there did not appear to be an order in their system requesting the card but that was all they could tell me. I hung-up without a clear understanding of the policy.

Does anyone have experience in this area that they would like to share? I have read that once the card is returned, then I will have to pay ($20?) to have one shipped to me each time I need to activate which is something I do not plan to do.
6 REPLIES 6

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I would tell them they could have it back but it will cost them $20. That is the value they place on the card themselves.

NashTT
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a Directv customer for over 14 years. I have found that they can do whatever you want as long as they want to. I am still on an outdated program package that suits me fine. I have gotten calls telling me I have to change to a current one, but I have refused and always ask the caller if Dish treats their customers that way and that is the end of the conversation . I have the same equipment that I bought when I subscribed and I own it, which Dtv doesn't like, but up till now has not tried to do anything about. Biggest hassle I had was when I tried to add a sports package to watch the Fox Sports channels and they initially said because my package was so old that they couldn't do it. I told the rep fine, I'd have to look at other providers and compare. I got a call from customer retention within 15 minutes and that rep said they would do it "just this once" and let me have it free for 90 days to boot.
"The opposite of Progress is Congress"
2013 Nash 23F
2008 Doge Big Horn Hemi Quad Cab 3.92
Reese 1000 bars-Prodigy Brake control
Jill, the crazy Rat Terrier always along

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
If you return the card, make sure you get proof of mailing.

I did not, and Direct said they never got it, and tried to charge me $45.00.

It was a hassle, took two long phone calls to them, but they finally gave me credit.

Not bashing here, just a warning. Overall, I am a happy client of Direct.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I replaced my 2 D11 receivers with D12 receivers a few months ago, they sent me an envelope to return the cards and told me to trash the receivers, but I knew I was getting new cards with the new receivers, so I wasn't surprised.

The reason they want the cards back is to check to see if you watched any PPV shows that you didn't get charged for. I hadn't, so I never heard another word about it after returning the cards.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I through my box in the trash, and shredded the card last week. Guess they will not get it back. It was one that I had bought.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is correct that if you send that card back it will cost you $20 to get another "if you can get one at all". DirecTV is in the process of discontinuing service to some of the very old receivers, especially those that were not DirecTV labeled boxes (Hughes, Sony, RCA, etc.). Since DTV can do pretty much anything they like, if they want you to get a new card (or receiver) and that information gets entered into your account information you may have no other choice than to get a new card or receiver. There certainly are avenues such as speaking with supervisors or contacting the customer retention department which can be used if necessary but if a functional change happens you will likely have to move on.
Now, if DirecTV requires you to make a move to a new receiver they should provide it at no charge if you are under contract or you can buy one pretty cheap from any number of internet sources. Personally, (just me), I would not pay $20 for a new card for an old receiver, I would get a new receiver which includes a card.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?