cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV SD, no problem - Gonna try HD - Help please...

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been able to setup my directv dish/rx pretty quickly and painlessly the past few times I've tried, but I now have an HD dish so I'm going to give that a shot. (still have the SD as a plan B)

I don't know what settings I need to change in the rx setup. Finding the right combination the first time for SD was painful enough. I don't remember all of the options, but I'm sure you guys will know what I'm talking about and hopefully you can tell me the right things to start with - I'm talking about dish type, SWM or ??? etc.

The rx I'm using is a model H23-600 and here are pictures of the dish that I plan to try, along with something that I can't identify, and what appears to be a nice (low loss?) splitter. All of the stuff in the pics came from a friend that has changed satellite providers so he no longer needs them.

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
3 REPLIES 3

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like an admin fixed the images. Sorry yall...

This is the main part I was looking for:
Dish setup: Option 17 Swimline-3S(SWM), 01: SWM, Dual.

Thanks everyone - I'll be setting it up tomorrow, dont know what kind of cell service I'll have and the park doesn't have wi-fi so I may not be able to update until Sunday evening.
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Run the coax from the dish/lnb to the input of the SWM power brick. Another coax from the power brick directly to the receiver if your only using one. If you go online and download the manual for the Winegard Trav'ler dish, there is a great diagram for connecting the wiring. You will need to get the elevation, azimuth and skew for the location where you are and get the dish pointed in that general direction. It is critical that you have the dish set up perfectly level at least the first time. Once your set up, turn on the receiver. Once it gets to searching for satellite signal, switch to the menu and go to the satellite set up. Go to signal strength and then to the signal meter. You will need someone inside watching the TV so they can tell you when the signal gets stronger. Slowly turn the dish until a signal begins to register. Once you have zeroed in on the best position for the signal, tighten the dish so it will not turn. Now make slow adjustments in the elevation and skew until you get a signal strength in the 90's. Then go back and unplug your receiver for 15 seconds, plug it back in and let it run through the setup or do it manually. Not sure with the H23. Be sure you set up the proper dish in the receiver menu before you start making any adjustments or set up. Hope this helps. Chuck

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please edit your post and reduce the picture width to 600.

The dish appears to be SWM in which case you connect up the power inserter. For a single receiver you do not need the SWM splitter. The coax is connected to the left hand connector for SWM.

Here were my HR24 settings, yours could vary. For #6 it might help to display both SD and HD to start. #7 must match the dish, dual is because there are 2 tuners.

3. Menu-Settings & Help-Settings-Display-TV Ratio: Widescreen 16:9
4. Menu-Settings & Help-Settings- Display -TV Resolutions: Check all resolutions.
5. Menu-Settings & Help-Settings- Display โ€“ Video: On, Pillar Box, Dark Gray
6. Menu-Settings & Help-Settings-Display-Preferences-Guide HD Channels: Hide SD duplicates.
7. Menu-Settings & Help-Settings -Satellite-Repeat Satellite Setup: Dish setup: Option 17 Swimline-3S(SWM), 01: SWM, Dual.

Hope this helps.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob