cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH satelite TV

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
I recently switched my home service from Direct TV to DISH. In the past I used a winegard MP1 carryout and a SD receiver from home to get satellite while camping. It was a hassle to reconfigure the receiver and manually point the antenna but I got good at doing it and it did work, most times. I havent tried yet to set up DISH. I understand I need a different receiver, a 211z, which I'm fine with. My question is should I try and use the cheap MP1 I already own or just buy the automatic Tailgater. I have found a bundle which includes the VQ2510 and 211z for $350. I'm okay with that price if it works well. I'm leary of using the old MP1 because I'm not sure I have the patience if setup becomes difficult. The bundle seems relatively plug and play. Also the VQ2510 has been replaced by the VQ4510 but I have searched and can't find any real difference. Should this be of any concern. I have found a VQ4510 bundle for 425 but dont see anything to justify the extra $75.
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY
40 REPLIES 40

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
KID2TEXAS wrote:
I use the Dish western arc on mine and if I want just only regular channels and my locals all i would use is the Dish 500 and sats 110 for locals and 119 for the rest. But I wanted HD channels so i now use my Dish HD and it use's 110 and 119 like before but then you use Sat 129 and its for the HD channels. Of course I only use the HD dish now.
Hope that helps

I still say spend a little for the HD dish or find one nobody wants and then use your receiver from the home and your all set for less than 100 dollars. My tripod set up is not that bad but yes I do like the auto ones but wanted to save money for the same outcome.

Thank you
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

KID2TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Dish western arc on mine and if I want just only regular channels and my locals all i would use is the Dish 500 and sats 110 for locals and 119 for the rest. But I wanted HD channels so i now use my Dish HD and it use's 110 and 119 like before but then you use Sat 129 and its for the HD channels. Of course I only use the HD dish now.
Hope that helps

I still say spend a little for the HD dish or find one nobody wants and then use your receiver from the home and your all set for less than 100 dollars. My tripod set up is not that bad but yes I do like the auto ones but wanted to save money for the same outcome.
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Amarillo Special Edition 4 X 4 & 6.0 PSD,
2015 Columbus 320 RS
Me, a Wife and two crazy kids that are to cool to go anymore :B
Golf cart that matches the Amarillo truck.

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to understand everything. Looking at the links provided by TechWriter it appears all my local channels use both the western 129 satellite and the eastern 61.5 for HD, and the 110 and 61.5 for SD. So then can I assume I "might" be able to receive those channels using only the western arc, but my chances are better if I can receive both? Even I could only receive SD that would be okay with me, after all that's all I got with Direct tv.

Also why is it different if I'm away from home using a portable dish? My fixed dish at home doesn't move? I don't get that part.

And if there are different satellites for different channels does that mean I have to re aim my MP1 at a different satellite if I change stations? With direct tv i just find the signal and all my channels are there.
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:

Get an automatic. Manually aiming a dish is more difficult with DISH than DirecTV.

I'm curious why aiming his MP1 at a Dish satellite would be more difficult than aiming it at a DTV satellite? A couple of the sats are even in the same locations for both services. I do agree the X2 would be the better choice for a Dish automatic.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter good to know, thank you. That puts a kink in things for me. I was okay at $350 for the bundle but not sure I want to spend 500+ to get the winegard and necessary receiver. Decisions, decisions.
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Larry337 wrote:
I recently switched my home service from Direct TV to DISH . . . My question is should I try and use the cheap MP1 I already own or just buy the automatic Tailgater.

Neither. Get the Winegard Pathway X2. It supports 2 receivers (like the VQ4510) but the Pathway X2 can receive all of DISH's sats -- the VQ4510 & 2510 can only receive DISH's "Western Arc" sats (see below) . . .

DISH uses two sets of satellites called the Western Arc (sats 110ยฐ, 119ยฐ, 129ยฐ) and the Eastern Arc (61.5ยฐ, 72.7ยฐ, 77ยฐ). If you want to get all of DISH's HD programming (including localTV stations), as a very general rule of thumb, you need the WA sats west of the Mississippi and the EA sats east of that river.

Since you're in Ohio, having the ability to get the Eastern Arc sats may be important for you.

Larry337 wrote:

Also the VQ2510 has been replaced by the VQ4510 but I have searched and can't find any real difference. Should this be of any concern. I have found a VQ4510 bundle for 425 but dont see anything to justify the extra $75.

The 4510 supports two DISH receivers, the 2510 only one.

Larry337 wrote:

I dont know a lot about the technology but I have read this before and thats why I think my manual MP1 may be limited, thinking I need an automatic dish.

Get an automatic. Manually aiming a dish is more difficult with DISH than DirecTV.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't rule out FREE or CLEAR TV. Since the NATL BROADCAST went to digital high def TV free to the public it is great to use with your crank up OTA BATWING UHF setup...

The TV SIGNALS are full blown digital high def HDTV... These are only the Natl Broadcast line-up but each station can have at least 6 sub channels which they load up with various things as old movies, WX related item, etc...

There is a place and time for SAT TV, CABLE TV, and FREE TV...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Winegard Pathway X2, portable automatic antenna and a VP211K receiver that I take from my den when traveling. Only one coax cable (carries both the signal and power) is needed. To set up all I do is place the antenna with the handle roughly pointing north, attach the cable to the portable satellite connector in my service bay, attach the receiver to a portable satellite connector in an inside cabinet, plug in the receiver and turn on the television. A message comes up on the television asking what state I am in. When I click on the state the antenna automatically searches for each satellite and locks on each. When that is finished, it automatically downloads the program guide. I donโ€™t have any extra charge from Dish since I use one of my home receivers. Hereโ€™s some info from their website.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

KID2TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
I have dish and I use the dish HD unit that uses sats 110, 119, 129. I got the dish from a guy that did not use it for 20 dollars and you can get them on ebay for around 40 to 50. The HD set up takes a little more fine tune then if you just use the Dish 500 (for non HD ch). I use it on a tri pod and it works great every time. I use dish finder on my i pad and aim it southwest adjust it left and right till I have a strong signal and go with it. Plus dish has the Dish for my RV and I get the same channels as at home on the road for just 7 dollars a month and you can turn it off for the winter and back on again in spring if you wanted. So I love my Dish set up. hope that helps.
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Amarillo Special Edition 4 X 4 & 6.0 PSD,
2015 Columbus 320 RS
Me, a Wife and two crazy kids that are to cool to go anymore :B
Golf cart that matches the Amarillo truck.

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Using Dish there are 2 sats to find with one oval dish. HD think there are 3. I have heard that setting up Dish is more difficult than Direct. I set up Dish manually. Most times it is easy but sometimes a little frustrating.

I dont know a lot about the technology but I have read this before and thats why I think my manual MP1 may be limited, thinking I need an automatic dish.
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Using Dish there are 2 sats to find with one oval dish. HD think there are 3. I have heard that setting up Dish is more difficult than Direct. I set up Dish manually. Most times it is easy but sometimes a little frustrating.