cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garmin GPS

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My gps is several years old now and I would like to get a new one. I would like a 7" screen with internal wifi for automatic map updates. I would also like one with visual and voice commands that state the correct lane to be in when turning or exiting.

I prefer Garmin and have read many reviews, but most units have mixed reviews.I'm hoping for recommendations on which one a lot you RVers have and how well you like them.
I don't need one with a dash cam but I wouldn't mind having a unit with one if all the other functions are good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
46 REPLIES 46

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin-good, Rand McNally-bad. Ask me how I know.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
Bill, I'm not that tech-savvy, but the reason I wanted internal wifi was so that the unit would automatically update new maps. I didn't have any luck on the Garmin website trying to download new mapping on my computer for my old GPS. It sounds like the RV770 would automatically upload new maps when they become available. Is that correct?

You can update it using your home computer and internet connection, or the GPS can be connected to a wifi network to download the updates.

I tried 3 times with my computer connected to wifi on three "supposedly" Garmin websites and all 3 times I was connected to a customer service rep in India that wanted to sell me something. I gave up. My current GPS is several years old so I think it is wise to buy a new one at this time.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

jeremy_kirby
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Garmin Camper 770 due to the largeness of the screen, use it a bit over a year and have no complaints. Gladly, it has not yet taken us on a wierd route. Also the fact you can just talk to it rather than typing is a huge plus for me.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
Bill, I'm not that tech-savvy, but the reason I wanted internal wifi was so that the unit would automatically update new maps. I didn't have any luck on the Garmin website trying to download new mapping on my computer for my old GPS. It sounds like the RV770 would automatically upload new maps when they become available. Is that correct?

You can update it using your home computer and internet connection, or the GPS can be connected to a wifi network to download the updates.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you mention you want WiFi updates I assume you have internet available in your coach. If not you will not get traffic updates with Google but then you aren't going to get ANY traffic updates with your Garmin unless you are near a big city where there is an FM radio broadcast happening. You will NEVER know that there is a 3 car pile up ahead of you on most of the US highways. Google Maps uses VERY LITTLE data so if if you turn on your phones hot spot you won't exceed any kind of data limits.
Even if you have no internet connection while traveling you can download the entire route before you leave (while you do have an internet connection) and you will get exact turn-by-turn instructions along the entire route.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank-you for the quick replies. I've noticed that the reviews on the 660 and the 760 are pretty much 50/50 good or bad, but the review dates are mostly from 2017 and a few in 2018. Has Garmin improved and gotten better in 2019 or do I take my chances and hope I get a good one.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garman 660 and love it. This is my third Garman. Would like to have a 770 but can't justify it.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin RV760LMT with up to date maps. All I have to do is turn it on and it will get me lost. I never really trust it now. I use a trucker's atlas to plan my route and use the GPS to look ahead for diesel, food, etc. My phone has a better map program. The last time I was on I40 going through Oklahoma City it kept telling me I had to exit as there was a low clearance ahead (I'm under 12 feet high). I noticed the 18 wheelers were not exiting so I decided to take a chance but the Garmin kept telling me to exit. It even got to a point where it had a screen pop up that made me hit a button to confirm that I was ignoring the Garmin directions. Made it all the way to New Mexico and never saw a low bridge. It has done similar mis-directions many times but this was the craziest. I still use it when on the interstates to look for services at upcoming exits. My guess is if you program it to go to Alaska you'll probably find yourself heading south into Florida as it takes you around the world to Alaska. When I want to get lost I program the Garmin to head to Dallas, Texas so I can find all the dirt roads on the way. I never trust it any more but use the trucker's atlas and it has never been wrong. The Garmin was wrong many, many times. Can you tell I really don’t trust the Garmin?
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Waze on a tablet. I have had updates on traffic moments before they happen. I’ve used it on my cell phone but I like a bigger screen

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Google Maps on a 7" or 10" tablet will do an even better job!

Only if and when you have an internet connection. For some of us that often go where cell phone coverage is spotty at best that is not an option.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:

But will Google Maps on a tablet do a GPS update on upcoming turns??? I can see using the tablet for planning a trip but not for driving the trip. What am I missing???
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a Garmin 770 and I really like the display and features. I am not very happy with the routes it takes up sometimes. We just came back from a 8 day trip and I sometimes scratched my head on why the Garmin wanted to route us in certain directions that were out of the way. 90 percent of the drive was interstate so there weren't any issues with low bridges or narrow roads. Thank goodness I also used google maps on my phone or several times the Garmin would have had my driving in circles.

I updated the maps right before our trip so the GPS was up to date.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We use CoPilot RV on a 9" tablet for this. Works great.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?