cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin GPS

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My gps is several years old now and I would like to get a new one. I would like a 7" screen with internal wifi for automatic map updates. I would also like one with visual and voice commands that state the correct lane to be in when turning or exiting.

I prefer Garmin and have read many reviews, but most units have mixed reviews.I'm hoping for recommendations on which one a lot you RVers have and how well you like them.
I don't need one with a dash cam but I wouldn't mind having a unit with one if all the other functions are good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
46 REPLIES 46

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
That's why I suggest that those who want a large display buy a 7" - 10" tablet and use that with Google Maps.

And what would you suggest for people that frequently go where there is no cell reception or other internet connection which Google Maps requires?
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,vermilye
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's why I suggest that those who want a large display buy a 7" - 10" tablet and use that with Google Maps.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No, but you phone is all you need for a GPS. Why pay hundreds of dollars for a GPS that is less capable than your phone?
You can use your phone hotspot to connect your computer to the internet, connect your GPS to your computer, get to the map download page, leave it for an hour or more to download the new maps and then you will have your update. The updates are available 4 times per year and are generally only 1-2 years behind.

I have used my phone for GPS and it has been very accurate but I really like the large screen of the dash GPS when in large cities and high traffic.
It sounds pretty simple to download maps. I was having trouble with the actual Garmin website but that may have been just me on that particular day. Thanks for the explanations.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Pops wrote:
Don't mean to hijack, but while talking GPS, notice the info on campgrounds list Nat, State, and Private campgrounds. Does the info on the 770 or 780 on campgrounds near your route also include Nat Forest, COE, or/and BLM campgrounds?

If your Garmin does not include non commercial campgrounds (some models do, others don't) you can add them using the Ultimate Public Campgrounds POI List.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I remember my Garmin made a mistake was when I first moved to Tucson, over 3 yrs ago, and I was looking for a super Walmart. When I came close to the store, Garmin told me it was on the left, but it was really on the right side. Other than that minor glitch, it's been pretty accurate.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Don't mean to hijack, but while talking GPS, notice the info on campgrounds list Nat, State, and Private campgrounds. Does the info on the 770 or 780 on campgrounds near your route also include Nat Forest, COE, or/and BLM campgrounds?
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, but you phone is all you need for a GPS. Why pay hundreds of dollars for a GPS that is less capable than your phone?
You can use your phone hotspot to connect your computer to the internet, connect your GPS to your computer, get to the map download page, leave it for an hour or more to download the new maps and then you will have your update. The updates are available 4 times per year and are generally only 1-2 years behind.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, I read the features and differences of the 770 and the 780 on the link that "Executive" kindly provided. It doesn't appear to be much difference with the exception of 3D. A $100 difference makes me lean towards the 770.

Bill.Satellite...my phone is a hotspot, so can I download maps on the GPS when connected to my phone while on the road?

Thank-you to everyone that has offered input on this.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Use your phone for best directions.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
As with any electronic gadget, garbage in garbage out. Regardless of which one you purchase, the 770 is significantly cheaper than the 780 cuz it's older, be sure to explore ALL it's features and know how they work. If you program the GPS to take you on the shortest route, you may find more dirt roads than you would if you asked for the fastest route. Also, if you put in "Avoid toll roads" or any of the myriad of other "options" you'll get taken on different routes. Set your GPS to your liking and it'll take you there. We have the 770 and like it a lot....For more reading click on the link below......Dennis

770 vs 780
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotjag1 wrote:
Bill, I'm not that tech-savvy, but the reason I wanted internal wifi was so that the unit would automatically update new maps. I didn't have any luck on the Garmin website trying to download new mapping on my computer for my old GPS. It sounds like the RV770 would automatically upload new maps when they become available. Is that correct?

No, I do not believe that this is correct. The updates are available 4 times per year and you must connect to a computer and get the computer connected to the map update site. Even if the Garmin has a wifi connection you would need a way to connect to the internet (your own hotspot or "good" campground WiFi) and then use some kind of built in software to connect to the Garmin map update website.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
My comment about the 780 seems to be ignored. We have had a 760 replaced by a 770 and now also have a 780. Yes, we run both the 770 and the 780, and the 780 is significantly improved over the 770, much easier to create routes, better interface, much better.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve...According to the Garmin website, the procedure I mentioned is the one used to update the RV770.

Thank-you for this information. I am going to purchase the RV770. I hope it all works well for me:)
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
drsteve wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
Bill, I'm not that tech-savvy, but the reason I wanted internal wifi was so that the unit would automatically update new maps. I didn't have any luck on the Garmin website trying to download new mapping on my computer for my old GPS. It sounds like the RV770 would automatically upload new maps when they become available. Is that correct?

You can update it using your home computer and internet connection, or the GPS can be connected to a wifi network to download the updates.

I tried 3 times with my computer connected to wifi on three "supposedly" Garmin websites and all 3 times I was connected to a customer service rep in India that wanted to sell me something. I gave up. My current GPS is several years old so I think it is wise to buy a new one at this time.

According to the Garmin website, the procedure I mentioned is the one used to update the RV770.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP