Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin RV770 LMT S

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At $400 is it worth it?

We are 10,000 mile plus a year travellers. We try not to duplicate routes taken. We avoid interstates if comfortably possible. We seldom return to the same CGs. Guess we could be called nomads.

Our trip planner is MS S&Ts 2011 with GPS, no updates available. We have a 5 year old stand alone GPS that the DW/navigator curses everyday that we have had it. For POIs & CGs it is weak, especially the CGs when the days destination is attempted to be found.

The RV770 looks good as far as the specs go. For the big $$$ it should be.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
25 REPLIES 25

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Veebyes,

We are currently using it on a trip out west but if you'd like to borrow our 760 to try it out after we return in June, let me know.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
It is because of those kinds of directions that we like to keep using our MS S&Ts.... Can't beat have what amounts to every paper map, every detail, right in front of you & able to see what the GPS is trying to do.
Yes, it's good to have various forms of information. I have to give Garmin credit where it's due.

I was caught in nasty PM busy-time traffic in St George UT. An on-ramp to the I-15 (which I needed) was completely choked. I got out of there and Ms G took me to the next on-ramp without a flaw. I figure that saved me 10-15 minutes and a lot of aggravation.

It's stuff like that where I really appreciate having her around- unfamiliar cities. Whether it's a city park, or grocery store or Veterinarian, it's just the best. That's not to say I've never been directed to an empty store front!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeffcarp wrote:
Belgique wrote:
I have almost given up on my NuVi because, like you, we like back roads and not interstates. With the Garmin if you say avoid them, it will route you through some ridiculous roads to avoid even a small section of interstate. It is either on or off, not prefer. And, it will not give up...it insists you take that route. Just my opinion and a data point. Others will disagree.

I'd think that the new Garmin units with route shaping would be perfect for your need. As I understand the feature it first calculates a route and then you just drag portions of the route so it goes where you want it to go using the roads you want it to take.

That is what I want. The shortest way is not necessarily the way I want to go.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
I have almost given up on my NuVi because, like you, we like back roads and not interstates. With the Garmin if you say avoid them, it will route you through some ridiculous roads to avoid even a small section of interstate. It is either on or off, not prefer. And, it will not give up...it insists you take that route. Just my opinion and a data point. Others will disagree.

I'd think that the new Garmin units with route shaping would be perfect for your need. As I understand the feature it first calculates a route and then you just drag portions of the route so it goes where you want it to go using the roads you want it to take.
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
So what GPS do you use then, that allows back roads routing with "some" interstate?

Have you tried Google Maps via voice command? Like this:

Okay Google directions to XYZ avoid Interstate 80

That has worked for me in the past, telling it to avoid a major road.

I like how ancient Microsoft Streets gives you sliders, from strongly avoid to strongly prefer for different road types. Not just all or nothing.

You're right that none are as good as S&T. The sliders eliminated a lot of the absurd routings. In my experience, Maps isn't as absolute. I run the Nuvi and Maps. I can be at my destination and Nuvi wants me to go back and do what it said (slight exaggeration). Maps gives up quicker.

I did not know about the voice command and telling it to avoid a specific highway. Thanks!
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Belgique wrote:
With the Garmin if you say avoid them, it will route you through some ridiculous roads to avoid even a small section of interstate.
3rd party GPS are not all that smart yet.

Every time I go NB through Las Vegas on the 515 it wants me to exit to Eastern to get on the I-15. That's just silly.

It is because of those kinds of directions that we like to keep using our MS S&Ts. Can't beat have what amounts to every paper map, every detail, right in front of you & able to see what the GPS is trying to do.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belgique wrote:
With the Garmin if you say avoid them, it will route you through some ridiculous roads to avoid even a small section of interstate.
3rd party GPS are not all that smart yet.

Every time I go NB through Las Vegas on the 515 it wants me to exit to Eastern to get on the I-15. That's just silly.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:

So what GPS do you use then, that allows back roads routing with "some" interstate?

Have you tried Google Maps via voice command? Like this:

Okay Google directions to XYZ avoid Interstate 80

That has worked for me in the past, telling it to avoid a major road.

I like how ancient Microsoft Streets gives you sliders, from strongly avoid to strongly prefer for different road types. Not just all or nothing.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Our nuvi 1390 decided to not play any more so I bought a new RV760.
Screen is large , lots of suggestions for campgrounds, provides alternate routes. The only thing we noticed is if you go past the turn it wanted you to take there is no "recalculating", it simply does the route change quietly and you never know until it tries to get you to do a U turn somewhere down the road.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn and 2oldman thanks for the tip... replaced the compass with elevation. looks like it's only visible while not navigating. when a route is enabled, the elevation option disappears, strange!?

last three Garmin had multiple info fields on screen, and you could set each one. guess Garmin decided those features don't belong on their most expensive model.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
jeffcarp wrote:
I'm really thinking about buying this but I'm concerned by the number of reviews of Smartphone Link having problems with the Samsung Galaxy S7. Hoping to hear from others that have this combination.

You do not need to use the smartphone link to have handsfree calling. My truck does not have that feature so we use the 760 for both our phones, S7 and an iphone 6. Works fine.

I installed the smartphone link app on my S7 but haven't found a need to ever use it after the initial playing around with it. I figure I'll use it to see a traffic camera if in a traffic jam that has a nearby camera....maybe. It does eat the smartphone battery if you don't plug it into a charger.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
jhlady wrote:
Just got my RV770 LMT-S yesterday. Still getting used to how it works, but so far I like it. Won't know for sure for a couple months yet, but I like the integration to my iPhone via bluetooth. Again haven't had much time to play with it yet, but I like the size of the screen and the thinness of the whole device.

Time will tell.

Found out why I would not want the 770, it does it's "live traffic" via your cell phone.

While the 760 and 660 use a built in FM radio

760 also has real time traffic as a paid option, through your cell phone. It's basically more detailed information than what is downloaded via RDS (the fm radio)

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:

Found out why I would not want the 770, it does it's "live traffic" via your cell phone.

While the 760 and 660 use a built in FM radio

Those are two very different traffic services though so that's not an apples to apples tradeoff.
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen