cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM onstar car connect questions

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a Silverado with the GM hotspot. I have connected to it from the trailer using my Ubiquiti Nanostation connected to either the laptop or a Wifi Ranger Go2 and then two laptops connected to the Go2 by Ethernet. The speed was better than what I generally see with my Verizon phone tethered to the Go2.

On my Silverado, with the key out of the ignition, if I push the on button on the radio, the internet connection/Wifi will come on along with the radio. I can mute the radio, but have not figured how to turn it off and leave the internet/Wifi on. Is this possible? I also am not sure how long it will stay on as the longest I have tried so far is about 20 minutes.

The hot wire in the GM 7 pin connector stays hot when the ignition is off. I have read several discussions about trailers drawing down the tow vehicle battery if the trailer is left connected when not plugged into shore power. I am wondering if the reverse would be true that the trailer's charger would keep the tow vehicle battery charged when plugged into shore power while using the hotspot? I am aware of the issues involved with the tow vehicle charging the trailer batteries while underway that are related to wire size and length of run. I have no idea how much the hotspot draws.

Any comments and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler
13 REPLIES 13

SavannahCollins
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!
I bought an additional deep cycle battery for my van, it works all weekend, 2 days long uninterrupted for GSM and WiFi.
It was ACDelco with 95 AH capacity.

We left our children at home, so we took a powerful battery with a big capacity to be always in touch.
Nobody called us or disturbed us. But the thought that we were in touch just gave us peace of mind! )
Long-lasting car batteries that I can recommend

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
sheltieRV wrote:
...Battery (gasser) will run down after a few hours. I now put a trickle charger on it...The trickle charger cannot keep up with the discharge rate, so I am still limited to a few hours (a movie) before giving the charger time to catch up...
Thanks!

I'll have to play with having the trailer connected while on shore or generator power and see how that does. I'll also try connecting the suitcase solar panels to the truck. However, even if the solar panels can keep up, we mostly use internet at night so they won't help all that often.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
sheltieRV wrote:
I have been using this for about a year on my 16 silverado.

1. Battery (gasser) will run down after a few hours. I now put a trickle charger on it when I know I won't be driving for a few days (we are 3 months at winter location and I only drive about once a week). The trickle charger cannot keep up with the discharge rate, so I am still limited to a few hours (a movie) before giving the charger time to catch up.

2. I manually turn off the headlights (rotate dial counter clockwise all the way), as I found that the system will turn the headlights on if it gets darker and thus run the battery down even more.

3. I also keep a velcro tag on my RV door to remind me that the hub is on.

4. The silverado will start beeping at you when the battery gets low, get tuned into a chime ding and turn off when it happens (the first time I heard this I thought it was my neighbor and not me).

It is a bit of a PITA, but the price, bandwidth, and speed is worth the PITA when RVing.

yes, it is a nice feature. We have verizon for our phones and then the GM hotspot is ATT. So...... between the two if there is a chance of internet, we get it.

Now if there was just a way to have only the hotspot on and program how long that would be nice. Usually we can get done what we want in the 15 minutes or so the hotspot stays active with the key out of the ignition, so that works for us, but would be nice to have that be longer.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using this for about a year on my 16 silverado.

1. Battery (gasser) will run down after a few hours. I now put a trickle charger on it when I know I won't be driving for a few days (we are 3 months at winter location and I only drive about once a week). The trickle charger cannot keep up with the discharge rate, so I am still limited to a few hours (a movie) before giving the charger time to catch up.

2. I manually turn off the headlights (rotate dial counter clockwise all the way), as I found that the system will turn the headlights on if it gets darker and thus run the battery down even more.

3. I also keep a velcro tag on my RV door to remind me that the hub is on.

4. The silverado will start beeping at you when the battery gets low, get tuned into a chime ding and turn off when it happens (the first time I heard this I thought it was my neighbor and not me).

It is a bit of a PITA, but the price, bandwidth, and speed is worth the PITA when RVing.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
It took the batteries down in under 8 hours - I don't know the exact time.

Having the rig and truck plugged in while using the internet has never happened for us. Either we have had park internet or the sites were too short to stay hooked up.
Thanks! At least it gives me a timeframe to work with.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
trailertraveler wrote:
How long did it take to drain the batteries? Have you tried leaving the truck connected to a trailer while connected to shore power or generator? I was hoping the trailer charger could keep up with the hotspots battery drain.
It took the batteries down in under 8 hours - I don't know the exact time.

Having the rig and truck plugged in while using the internet has never happened for us. Either we have had park internet or the sites were too short to stay hooked up.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
If you leave the key in accessories position, the hotspot stays on. However, unless you're charging the battery externally, it will go flat pretty quickly. Ask me how I know - I flattened the batteries in my 3500HD three times by mistake by using the internet hotspot.
How long did it take to drain the batteries? Have you tried leaving the truck connected to a trailer while connected to shore power or generator? I was hoping the trailer charger could keep up with the hotspots battery drain.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
I donno.....surely I am out of touch with this kinda technology...You want ON-STAR ? Simply push the (blue?) button the mirror.
If you don't know. Why answer? I am not asking about contacting OnStar. I am asking folks about the internet hotspot that is now in some GM vehicles. It is on the AT&T network so may provide better access in areas where my Verizon phone has no or poor signal.

jerseyjim wrote:
...i thought a Silverado was for DRIVING...or are you one of these folks that runs 70mph and isn't paying attention?
I do not drive 70, rarely over 60 when towing and prefer to stay off the interstates. I am not even talking about using the internet while driving, but rather when parked in a campground or boondocking to provide an internet connection in the trailer.

Thanks for your oh so helpful on topic comments.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I donno.....surely I am out of touch with this kinda technology...but i thought a Silverado was for DRIVING...or are you one of these folks that runs 70mph and isn't paying attention?

You want ON-STAR ? Simply push the (blue?) button the mirror.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you leave the key in accessories position, the hotspot stays on. However, unless you're charging the battery externally, it will go flat pretty quickly. Ask me how I know - I flattened the batteries in my 3500HD three times by mistake by using the internet hotspot.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
On the battery question, yes, the TT converter will keep the trucks battery charged while everything is plugged in.

Do you know the person, and his equipment, that you are replying to ??

If not, that is a dangerous blanket statement to make.

It depends on the equipment he has and how it's wired.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
On the battery question, yes, the TT converter will keep the trucks battery charged while everything is plugged in.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
We just got a Silverado with the GM hotspot. I have connected to it from the trailer using my Ubiquiti Nanostation connected to either the laptop or a Wifi Ranger Go2 and then two laptops connected to the Go2 by Ethernet. The speed was better than what I generally see with my Verizon phone tethered to the Go2.

On my Silverado, with the key out of the ignition, if I push the on button on the radio, the internet connection/Wifi will come on along with the radio. I can mute the radio, but have not figured how to turn it off and leave the internet/Wifi on. Is this possible? I also am not sure how long it will stay on as the longest I have tried so far is about 20 minutes.

The hot wire in the GM 7 pin connector stays hot when the ignition is off. I have read several discussions about trailers drawing down the tow vehicle battery if the trailer is left connected when not plugged into shore power. I am wondering if the reverse would be true that the trailer's charger would keep the tow vehicle battery charged when plugged into shore power while using the hotspot? I am aware of the issues involved with the tow vehicle charging the trailer batteries while underway that are related to wire size and length of run. I have no idea how much the hotspot draws.

Any comments and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

here is the way to get the WIFI to run for about 15 or 20 minutes and not have the key in the ignition or have many accy draining the battery.

1) get in the passenger side of the car. THIS IS IMPORTANT. DO NOT USE THE DRIVERS SIDE.
2) put key in ignition, turn to position 2, onstar will come on, wifi will come on. make sure you are connected.
3) take key out of ignition and get out the PASSENGER DOOR.
4) close (and lock if you want) the vehicle.

you will have wifi for around 15 minutes before it does an auto shutdown of the vehicle.

THIS WILL NOT WORK IF YOU USE THE DRIVERS DOOR. Once the key is removed if you open the drivers door, everything turns off.

If you want to run longer I think the only way is to leave the key in the ignition in the accy position.

As for charging the truck battery from the RV I believe it will work. the pin on the trailer plug just connects the truck battery(s) to the trailer battery. if the trailer battery is being charged so is the truck. On the diesels the pin is always hot.

Now, this is IIRC ONLY on the diesel. on a gas GM, IIRC power is only to the trailer plug when the engine is running or if you have the dual battery option with a gas engine.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!