cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harbor Freight Jump Starter

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried one of these? I am interested in opinions as I'd like to carry something like this in case of emergencies in my Class C.

HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e
13 REPLIES 13

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had excellent results from two different sizes of those bat power pack jump starters on two different size V8 truck engines. One I bought at Costco on sales for less than $100.00 (half price) and the larger one same color as the OPs I bought on Amazon for $100.00. The smaller one works just fine on the larger 5.9 V8 also.

I have use them more than twice in last two years and they saved me a lot of grief and aggravation in remote areas. Note if you have bad bat cables at the bat terminal connection then they may not be enough juice to start your motor.

I still carry jump starter cables in all 3 trucks as backup.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I made the mistake of buying a lithium jumper by Lion Energy. It does not hold its charge. Worse still, I called the company for warranty support and they would not do anything about it... said I just need to charge it every month. IMO a jumper battery that goes fully dead in 8 months is defective, but Lyin' ... er, Lion Energy disagreed.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact one. First one died all of a sudden but HF exchanged with no hassle even though I was out of warranty. The replacement works great. Holds a charge for a long time...months.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
EdTheEdge wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these? I am interested in opinions as I'd like to carry something like this in case of emergencies in my Class C.

There are a few reviews of this product on YouTube. The short answer is, it does work. Bonus, it use LiFePO4 cells which are inherently safer than the standard LiCo cells.

The question I always have is, how long is it going to last stored at extreme temperatures and only occasionally recharged. If you charged it and placed in in your Class C before a week/month long trip, I think you would be fine.

HF has definitely stepped up their game on many of their products.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just realized that the link to the little one doesn't work on that thread anymore. Here it is.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
There was a Thread about these not too long ago.

As per my post there, I have the little one (that was linked to in the OP) and a higher powered "bigger" one (which I link to further down in that thread). Both work well.

I keep a little one in my Durango and the bigger one along with a little one (at $25, it was worth buying extra) in the RV. I have used them both to jumpstart various vehicles with no issues. The little one does take about 5-10 seconds longer to jumpstart my Durango (V8) than the bigger one.

I also use them to charge cell phones, kindles, tablets, etc., if needed.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
You don't mention what engine your Class C has but these are about useless on a diesel. I always have a generator with me so I carry a regular battery charger/starter that needs 120v power. Always works but it is a lot more trouble.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another option....

Costco Jump Starter......LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MrWizard
between house batteries, the generator, vector battery charger with 100amp boost/engine start

i'm covered

but Monday i used 75ft of extension cord with the vector, to jump start a car
could not move the RV without pulling in the slide etc.. breaking camp, easier to use the cords

i have thought about getting a 'jump start' box, just to have around
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have this model. It has worked in many cases, not only our rig but others. GD uses it for customers are her work.
HF battery pack

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my son works for a dealership and on the cold morning some of the diesels don't want to start. out of hi sown pocket he paid $200.00 for one from a battery store, it lasted a week. for the price difference and the warranty I would try the HF unit and it can't be any worse than the $200 unit

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I got a much larger one, physically, from Home Depot a couple of years ago.....and then it turned out I didn't really need it after all.

But I kept it anyway. It has several "other" features, like a small inverter, an air compressor, etc. that I think makes it potentially more useful......even though I haven't yet used it for anything.

Whatever you end up getting, you should plug it in every 90 days or so to be sure it is still fully charged.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not tried that one. I carry a much larger one I paid about a C-note for at Auto-Zone. Those small ones.. I kind of wonder if they will work.

In the past I've tried a few of different size. I like at lieast 750-900 peak amps minimum for jump starting. Some of those are more portable re-chargers than jump starters. you need to hook 'em up and sit for a while before you crank 'er up.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times