cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can I tell if I have reception / parked trailer

Wife_nHubby
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about getting a dish for my permanently parked travel trailer. We are parked in a fairly wooded area. Is there any way I can tell in advance that I can get reception where the trailer is parked?
Wisconsin - the best place to be!
6 REPLIES 6

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
More than likely with a ground based dish you can almost always find a place with a clear view.

X2. You can usually find space between tree branches, unless the foliage is very dense. However, there could be problems when wind causes the foliage to move, which may block the signal momentarily, but it may not even be noticeable. you may also need to locate the dish some distance from the RV for a suitable location, so have a long enough cable. I estimate the cable length I've used to be about 50'or longer, when needed. But remember that when cable length gets excessive it could lead to some attenuation of the signal.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard - TV Signal Finder is a good cellphone app for BOTH satellite and OTA antenna pointer in a single app.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than likely with a ground based dish you can almost always find a place with a clear view.

Wife_nHubby
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
Wisconsin - the best place to be!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Wife'nHubby wrote:
I am thinking about getting a dish for my permanently parked travel trailer. We are parked in a fairly wooded area. Is there any way I can tell in advance that I can get reception where the trailer is parked?

sure. bith DISH and DirecTV have free sat finder apps. we have DISH. their app is DishForMyRV.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of smart phone apps that overlay the phone camera view with the satellite positions that can be used to check for interference from trees, etc. I use the "DishPointer" app from DishPointer.com, but there others nearly as good.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate