cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

IR Remote Control Extenders for Hidden Equipment

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
This may affect only a few RV owners. But it is a very annoying situation to resolve when it's your problem. This should help or certainly guide you to a solution.

PROBLEM: You have a satellite tv receiver, a blue ray/dvd player, and whatever else you may have that operates on a typical IR (line of sight) remote control signal. But your receiver(s)/player(s) are housed behind a closed door. The only way to use your equipment is to leave the door open all the time. No problem if it's not in a hallway or behind the TV you're watching. But often times creates a real nuisance (code for PIB!). Some RV's have built-in IR remote extenders which are supposed to relay the signal into the closed area to operate the equipment. It doesn't always work with all makes and models of equipment. I know. I had that issue.

SOLUTION: There are many solutions actually. But as in my case, running wire was out of the question. The answer came from SewellDirect.Com. They specialize in all kinds of audio & video control systems and have a wide offering of IR remote control extenders. They just came out with a Wireless IR Extender and I managed to get one. I had it operating in 15 minutes and it works flawlessly. I spent another 30-45 minutes cleaning up the installation so it was virtually invisible. Now I have full control over my satellite dish receiver and blue ray player.

I also have a TV on the cabinet door in the bedroom where all the equipment is stored. I used a "wired" IR signal extender on that one since it was less expensive and there was easy access to deal with the minor wiring.

CAVEAT: I use DISH for my Satellite service. My motorhome came with a DISH 211Z (most recent model at this time) receiver. After much trial and error testing, I learned the Sewell Blast IR Pro (wired IR extender) did not work with the DISH 211Z receiver. Fortunately I still had the predecessor DISH 211K receiver. As a last resort, I substituted the 211K and now both the wireless and the wired IR extenders work perfectly. I am highly suspicious of the lens that covers the IR receiver on the 211Z. It may be too thick or too dark or something. The receivers are basically the same. The predecessor 211K has a clear window to the IR receivers. Also (very important) the new Blast IR Wireless extender worked perfectly with both the DISH 211Z and the DISH 211K receivers. The IR signal emitters on the wireless unit are slightly larger and I suspect "flash" the receiver with a brighter/stronger signal.

Sewell Tech Support has been very good to work with. They're a USA based company. They were very cooperative in my efforts and swapped out the wired unit for fear it might be faulty. At this time I can't say that it was.

Hope this helps someone. I was getting a bit anxious before I found SewellDirect.Com. Now it's all good.

Safe travels always.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

6 REPLIES 6

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are (or used to be) remotes made by RCA with the same concept as the one you link to. I used them for many years and they are great! There are 2 units, a TX and and RX but if they units you want to control are in the same area they can control both. They are excellent products (at least the RCA versions were) and likely the least expensive option.
I highly recommend this kind of device if you are just looking for a simple elegant solution.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Mongo68
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=lp_11039361_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1467326830&sr=1-3

Wouldnt think they work, but they work great!
2004 F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
2007 Weekend Warrior LE3505+6 Tiki Edition

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I also have a Logitech Harmony. Been using its RF control of IR devices in other rooms for several years.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Logitech Harmony remotes can also solve these kinds of problems. I just purchase a sound bar to add to my system and was able to add the device and program the way I wanted it to work with my system. Nice product.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tried something like that but things got pretty warm with the doors closed. I added a vent and fan but that was noisy. I ended up with the doors open again.
Larry

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it all worked out, here is something interesting I found while working with my IR extenders. As you know, you can't see the IR flash, but if you grab your phone with a camera, point the camera at whichever, and you can see the IR flash on you camera screen!! Try it!!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.