cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

is This Safe?

Makin__Do
Explorer
Explorer
So, here I sit at my camp site with my new LED TV. Hooked up the cable, hook up the power cord..... Wait, I left the power cord at home??. The AC to DC on the TV calls for calls for 12 volt DC input. I have an AC to DC converter for my AA battery charger that has 16 volt DC output. It plugs into the TV, but I have not plunged it into the AC. Would I toast my new TV if I used this converter?
9 REPLIES 9

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't mess w/ the DC,....you reverse the polarity and you'll wish you dint.

Chop the female off an ext cord, bare the ends, slide pcs of small tubing over the ends, bend the bare wires over the tubing, then push the tubing onto the ac prongs
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
16 volts is a bit much.. but you may be able to pick up a 12 volt BATTERY type cord for the TV.. That is what I'd try first, 13.6 is the actual float voltage of the battery system (or so they tell me) but most TV's have that much tollerance.

I can not, however guarantee. I do know how to bring it down a volt or two but that takes a soldering tool.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Find a Radio Shack. They should be able to cobble something together that can take 12 volts off your RV electrical system (cigar lighter) with a plug on the other end that will fit your TV. My Samsung takes 19 volts, and I was able to find a 12v to 19 v converter in a cigar plug, and a plug on the other end that fit my TV. Now I can run the TV without the Ganerator or inverter.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Don't do it.

Never use a wall-wart for a device for which it was not intended unless you really know what you are doing and have checked out the wart and device for compatibility. Even beyond the matter of voltage, here 16 volts instead of 12 volts, there's the matter of AC or DC, negative vs positive terminals, and amperage. There is no universal standard for the polarity or AC/DC for any of the connectors such devices use. Just because you can plug it in, there's no guarantee on any of the rest of that, and the odds are very high indeed you'll fry the TV.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!"
(Homer Simpson) :W

Makin__Do
Explorer
Explorer
Gosh, no YV this weekend. Guess I'll have to talk to wife. Thanks for the quick replies and saving my TV.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dont do it.
Not only is 16V high for anything that runs off 12v but the current may be limited as well and that can spell death for any circuit with voltage regulators and other discrete components.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I just set up a Samsung Tv for a neighbor and it had a power cord with a power brick on it. It converted 110 AC to 19-19.5 volts. It was a new 32" model. Google the power requirements for your new TV. 16v may be under powererd.

Guess I don't read very well. Missed the part where you said it required 12v. DISREGARD what I wrote!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
Very possible to make toast with 16 volt output, or at least blow a fuse somewhere. I once used a 12 volt battery charger with a couple wires twisted onto the input pins on a tv and just clamped into the chargers clamps. You got a 12 volt power plug by the tv? If so...find your local Wally World and get a lighter plug and some wire.