cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need OTA DVR advice

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using a Directv DVR for a while and DW loves the DVR capability. We really don't watch enough TV to justify keeping Directv, but DW wants to be able to keep recording her shows, mainly NPR. What is the best OTA DVR?

If I haven't provided enough details, just ask for anything else you need.

Thanks
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
47 REPLIES 47

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to remember about TIVO and the Lifetime Fee, it is on the box, not the account. So if you get another TIVO the membership doesn't transfer to it. This is the reason others have suggested the extended warranty.
I have had several TIVO's and only had one hard drive failure at about 3 years, all the others lasted until I upgraded them, 4 plus years.
I have a free X1 box from Comcast, and the guide is terrible compared to the TIVO's. I don't even use it to program shows, I use my 6 tuner TIVO.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Tivo Roamio OTA with lifetime service for $300 re-appeared on Amazon yesterday (1/15/16). When Amazon had this previously there were some buyers who never got delivery or had activation problems and returned the box, but with 89% 4 and 5-star reviews it most have worked out ok for most. After seeing it yesterday, I spent about 5 seconds deciding to order.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
I was following all this and all of a sudden realized I had a DirecTV AM21 (<$100) that I forgot about. It does all this...if you have DirecTV. We used it a lot a year or so ago but haven't recently Only time we use it is we can't see the bird because of trees etc so it works perfect...for us. Your results may vary.

On Edit: Nevermind. You gotta see the bird to download the OTA channels so this only works if you're in one place. Maybe if you knew where you're going and downloaded while you can see the bird it would work. Back to Walmart for the $50 one.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are spot on with that. 1/3 of what the TIVO offers is about right. Also, with the Tablo you have to buy an external compatable hard drive, a media streamer, hope the company stays in business and keeps putting out bug fixes, which many similar companies have not been able to do. Tablo is a young company with some hard drive compatibility complaints, and set up issues. TIVO went through similar problems when starting up.
The Tablo 2 is $200, plus around $100 for a hard drive, $50 to a $100 for a streaming device, not to mention taking a risk on a young company.
TIVO is a company that has been, and will continue to be around for a long time, because someone will always buy them. A TIVO OTA can be had for $49, and I have seen life time memberships go for as low as $250.
I recommended the TIVO because I went through a similar situation as the OP, and from my research felt it was the best bargain.
az99, out of curiosity what would you recommend, and why?

az99
Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek wrote:
Reviews look fairly good. Some ex. hard drive compatibility, and set up issues, but there always are.
How much is the monthly fee for the guide?
At only $5 per month he must only get 1/3 of the info you get on your $15 per month TIVO.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Roadtrek wrote:
Reviews look fairly good. Some ex. hard drive compatibility, and set up issues, but there always are.

$5/month
$50/year
$150/lifetime

Your choice.

I am considering the $150/lifetime and just consider it part of the purchase price.
Bobbo and Lin

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your decision!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. I finally settled on a Tablo 2 tuner DVR. It is on order and should be delivered on 1/12.

I went to the Tablo forums and asked about what to use to connect it to the TV. I was told to avoid the Chromecast. I was told to get either the Nvidia Shield or the Nexus Player. I settled on the Nexus Player since it was about 1/3 of the price. I have the Nexus Player set up and working. Tomorrow we should see how the system performs.

Thank you for your input. It was very helpful.
Bobbo and Lin

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I tried two of the RCA Converter/Recorders. First one didn't work and the second had some problems. I picked up a "ematic AT103B" for about $35 and it seems to be functioning okay. It comes with a rudimentary electronic program guide and can be connected via USB for storage.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I think you could say that about a lot of stock these days. Anyway, I only was telling you that the TIVO fee is for much more than just a guide, which, if you read the link I posted you would/should understand that. You made a blanket statement about TIVO that left a lot of information out, and I was just giving more information for the members that may have been mislead by your post. I like to give all the info I can, and then let the reader decide for themselves if it's worth it or not.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
By the looks of TIVO stock it appears more people share my view than yours. ๐Ÿ™‚

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
My Roadtrek wrote:
az99 wrote:
$15 a month for the program guide? That is ridiculous when a Netflix subscription is $9.

If you ever have used a TIVO you would know it's much more than just a guide that you are paying for.
TIVO program guide.
If you think it is worth it that is great for you.
I think it is ridiculous to pay $15 a month for a guide of the OTA channels. That is 1/2 way to a basic cable subscription.
People on this post and others are trying to save money by cutting the cord. TIVO makes money selling you the hardware and keeps taking it out of your pocket forever if you want to use the hardware as designed.

I'm a multi millionaire through a good education, hard work, and good investments, so it does work for me. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I love the TIVO but still like to save money, sorry you are so strapped for cash.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
lbrjet wrote:
starjumper wrote:
Tito Roamio is the way to go.. Bought ours on Amazon for 299.00 with lifetime Tivo service. Love it

And the cost of the Lifetime Service?

OP here, I just looked on Amazon. The device is $95 but needs a subscription, or $599 with lifetime subscription included.

I am leaning toward either the Channel Master DVR+, or Tablo with a lifetime subscription and Chromecast on each TV.

The Channel Master has no subscription fee, but the Tablo has whole house service.

(I had decided on the Tablo and Apple TV. I bought the Apple TV and hooked it up, but then found out you have to stream from the Tablo to an Apple device THEN to the Apple TV. We have no Apple device, so we are taking the Apple TV back.)
Bobbo and Lin