Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Sat TV. Cable questions

halcareric
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

We'll be getting DISH sat tv this week for home and dumping cable tv. We also bought a DISH KING Tailgater for the two tv's we have in our class A.

Our rig is a 2002 Damon Intruder 350 (37'). It has two sat's on roof now, all be it OLD!.. TV up front, and one if back bedroom. Has a switch control as well to go between sat, air, dvd or whatever.

It has a cable input out side back drivers side which I assume can only be used for park cable.

So. I'd like to know how others have set up their systems, providing of course yours is as old as mine is. I know newer rigs may have hook ups for SAT already on the out side. I'd hate to have rewire this rig if I can avoid it but also want to get this set up by end of June.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

halcareric
Explorer
Explorer
Well I found out while looking at cables that the previous owner cut the park cable at the end and just tucked it away. It's RG 59 cable. Not sure how hard it would be to pull that cable out while feeding RG6 in.

Not sure if I mentioned or not, on the roof, there are two OLD Sat ant's. One fed the rear tv area, front fed the front. I guess I could cut those cables, redo the connections, feed them down the back side of the RV into a duel connection box. Wouldn't look too pretty but would work. Won't have to mess with interior wiring.

Gonna test the park hookup anyways to see if it will carry a small DC charge.

gahillbilly
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, Your Cable in put can be used for your Portable Dish as well as park cable. Depends on how you hook up to the Receiver. What I did on my system, I took the cable line off from the switch set, I connected a line to the cable to go to the input at receiver and a line from receiver to the switch assem cable input. Now I can connect my portable Dish to the outside CABLE.
Hope this helps,
gahillbilly

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If the cable hookup goes straight to the box with all the buttons it will work. Remove it where it goes into the box with all the buttons and put a splitter (depleted), the side with the power pass send to the dish box, the side without power pass goes back on the box where you removed the cable (cable in).

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Like you, I dumped my cable and installed Dish over a year ago. I had a Dish dome installed on my RV. However, the Hopper was not compatible with my antenna so I had to add on another receiver, I believe the V722 (?) but not sure. The extra receiver is in my son's room until we leave on a trip. I use he V722 receiver in the RV, but it only works on one TV at a time.

Be sure to check with the antenna paperwork the type of receiver that will be compatible with your antenna. And, check to see if you need two receivers, one for each TV. A call to Dish will probably help too. They are pretty knowledgeable about RV and Dish.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran a new dedicated RG6 coax for our portable dish for two reasons. One, I didn't trust the quality of the original cable port coax, although it does seem to work well enough for park cable use. Two, I knew there would be times we would want both the dish and the park cable hooked up. Routing the new coax from our overhead TV/sat receiver compartment down to the frame of our coach was time consuming, but not particularly difficult. From there, it was simple to run it with the other wiring along the frame rail back to the electrical bin where the existing cable port was. I switched out the original single port outlet for a dual port outlet and labeled them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate