cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Internet

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone out there have real life experience with Hughesnet or Dishnet? I would be interested in RV or home usage. Are these reliable and as fast as advertised? We do not have access to cable at home and the phone company is super slow.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit
18 REPLIES 18

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excede satellites are NOT in low Earth orbit. Their satellite is stationary. Not sure what service you are referring to that is.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure if Dishnet is even satellite or not.

Hughes net has several plans. And two entirely different systems

For RV use the Hughes 7000 If you get a good Sat assigned you can, once trained, access from dang near anywhere. BUT the lag time is bad (Pings typically over 1/2 second) and speeds at best mid range DSL Of course you can pay more and get faster speeds. but you can't improve the ping times, no good for competitive gaming.

Next Gen. I'm not sure about but suspect it is like Excede Since the sats are in LOW Earth Orbit instead of Geo-Sync the ping is less and again, if you pay enough you can get some SERIOUS bandwidth.

Google; HAM NATION When Bob Heil is at home in the Ozarks he uses Excede, he has an incoming video stream (At least one, likely 2 or 3) and an outgoing stream. He also answers E-mails. NOTE he is not always in the show and not always at home.. But you can go back a ways and find him. Or you can go to the 2016 Dayton Hamvention episodes. Exceed set him up a semi-portable at the Arena. NOTE The hardware is the old . Arrg forgot the name) Service dish sold.. Wild Blue that's it Wild Blue.

NOT suitable for RV use due to LEO sats.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Where'd the OP go?

He signed up for AT&T's "Connected Car" $20 unlimited 4G/LTE service and lived happily ever after streaming all the video he wanted... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where'd the OP go?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Goostoff,
Are you moving from location to location with your Excede service ?

No this is a dish bolted to the side of our house. I think my reply may have been a bit misleading after I just read it again. The tailgater is the only part of our system that is mobile. We just all use our phones for internet when we are camping.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goostoff,
Are you moving from location to location with your Excede service ?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using Excede through Dish for about 5 years. When it is working properly it works good and is really fast compared to the only other option I have which is dialup. That being said, it sucks. Most of the time it just decides to cut you off and you have to go unplug the modem to reset it. This happens at least 5 or 6 times a day. The data limit of 10 GB is a joke. My data resets on the 15th of every month and by the 17th the kids have used it up already ands after that you are clocked back to what they claim is 300k download speed from the 12MB that they claim it normally is.

It is expensive as hell too, and of corse if you want more data they will happily give it to you FOR A FEE. My dish bill is already nearly $200 a month and there is no way in hell they are getting another dime out of my pocket. We have a pretty basic package with no pay channels. Our system is the original Hopper system with 1 Joey, and I have my Tailgater on the plan as well, with the excede internet. There is no reason for my bill to be that high.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
I have exede at home. Their prices are dropping and service is improving. But expect data limits. 12 gb for $49 up to 150 gb for $99(this is new) these are with 12 meg download.
Within the next month or two they will be bringing a new sat online, and services will improve more and cost likely drop.
If you can wait, I would, plans will improve.

The only problem is you can't use your Excede service on the road so unless the OP was not asking an RV related question no matter how good it is, it would be useless to him.

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We had Hughesnet for a few years and changed to Dishnet (Exceed) We found Dishnet to be more reliable and had decent speed. The major caveat with Dishnet is the data limitations. They are supposed to be increasing the limit a d offering higher speeds in some areas but as of early 2017 the higher data and speed was not available where we live in NE Oklahoma. All that said it worked well for us for a few years. We only used this at home, not while traveling.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
We have tons of experience with dish net, my advice is DO NOT do it! It was the worst most horrible experience we have ever had.
1. To know the frustration of their costumer service, just give Dish network a call and ask any thing, you will be pulling your hair out. Dish Net is only worse.
2. They restrict your usage, if you want to watch youtube, or a netflix movie or do any thing on line where you are using data, you will not like it. Our phone has larger data allocation than what Dishnet allows.
3. It is expensive
4. You will have to deal with the equipment, which may be a factor or may not bother you.

We had it for a couple of years, we lived rural and had no other choice, but when another service became available we jumped for it.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I have exede at home. Their prices are dropping and service is improving. But expect data limits. 12 gb for $49 up to 150 gb for $99(this is new) these are with 12 meg download.
Within the next month or two they will be bringing a new sat online, and services will improve more and cost likely drop.
If you can wait, I would, plans will improve.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wind River wrote:
Does anyone out there have real life experience with Hughesnet or Dishnet? I would be interested in RV or home usage. Are these reliable and as fast as advertised? We do not have access to cable at home and the phone company is super slow.

First, Dish does not really have satellite internet. They resell the services of either Hughesnet or Excede.
Second, satellite internet is really, really bad compared to cellular internet and cellular internet cannot compare to any home service you might have (OK, unless you have bad DSL).
The other problem you will run into is that the updated satellite internet services are spot beamed so it's not just a matter of moving and re-pointing your antenna like you can with satellite TV. You also will have to use a VERY large antenna plus a heavy duty tripod to mount the setup and the pointing routine has a very steep learning curve so you will need someone with experience to show you how or plan on long frustrating days trying to figure it all out. Then, the real kicker....You will have to call each time you move and have the service provider change you service location so you can be on the correct spot beam. The service is also only available in the lower 48 if that's an issue.
Let me know if you need more details about something.
As an aside, I have been all over the East Coast, West Coast and middle of this great Country and while all services suffer when in the middle of nowhere, I have yet to find a service with better coverage than Verizon. AT&T is a very close 2nd. I have service with Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. Don't get Sprint!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Hughesnet postVerizon coverage is so good now, unless you're camping in a canyon I don't see why you'd need this.
I find this funny.
I don't. I've traveled all over this country and had very few Verizon problems. Their data service tends to be better than voice, which I believe is what the OP is asking about.

Perhaps the OP is traveling to places Verizon works, not the East Coast or Alaska.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Hughesnet post

Verizon coverage is so good now, unless you're camping in a canyon I don't see why you'd need this.

We live in CT where people say it's a city from NY to Boston. There is no Verizon here and one bar sometimes on AT&T. We live in the country but my mom lives the next town over near the center of town, she doesn't have Verizon or AT&T.
Cell service has a long way to go in my opinion.