cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slow iPad 2

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I inherited a 16 GB iPad 2. I restored it to factory fresh and have been using it for browsing. I've added no apps other than Chrome, and stored no photos or files on it.

To me, it's slow, both on Safari and Chrome. Sitting at the same desk, on the same 30 mbps wifi, as my Macbook Air, there is no comparison. I did google it, and got suggestions about clearing the browser cache etc., turning off notifications and other repetitive data transfers, and the like.

The 16 GB memory is mostly free. As in way more than half, probably two thirds free. I don't remember the exact numbers. I don't recall if Safari offered anything other than full nuclear clearing, but that's what I did. So I lost all my cookies and quick memory of what pages I go to. I did not notice lesser options, but that may have been my oversight. Chrome offered a simple cache clear. It speeded up after clearing the caches, but it's still slow. Is this just the nature of the beast?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
23 REPLIES 23

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same issue with my wife's iPad2. It crawls compared to my iPadAir. I think the problem started with more recent OS updates, 8, and then 9. I am well aware of all the settings, tricks, and adjustments on these iPads .... I believe the problem is the slow processor and the larger OS software. I plan on getting her a new iPad4 mini for Christmas.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Murphsmom wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Reality is that iOS8 has had a significant impact on the iPad 2, iOS9 made it a bit better but still slowed down dramatically compared to iOS7. If I could go back to iOS7 I would.

I'm glad to see you say that. I have been resisting upgrading. Now I have a good excuse.

I am up to date and have found nothing wrong or slow. Do people time it with a stop watch?

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Reality is that iOS8 has had a significant impact on the iPad 2, iOS9 made it a bit better but still slowed down dramatically compared to iOS7. If I could go back to iOS7 I would.

I'm glad to see you say that. I have been resisting upgrading. Now I have a good excuse.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that it has the latest OS, 9.something.
I don't hardly have any apps on it. Two, maybe, including Chrome. But I'll check and see what's running, thanks.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Double click the Home Button. Than you will see All the Open APPs running in back ground.
Swipe them to close them. Depending on how much you use it. I do this every night or at least every other night.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many open apps do you have? Frequently my wife's iPad will slow down, or act up a little. First thing I do is to close out all apps. Just because you switch apps does not mean they close out or shut down.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It has a 1ghz dual core CPU, so it isn't going to scream.
-- Chris Bryant

Y-Guy

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
When is the last time you did a hard restart? I find that on both DWs Ipad and my Android that if I dont so a hard restart every few weeks they slow to a crawl.