cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon JetPack or WiFi Extender

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
As you know, many campsites have a very weak WiFi. signal. So I am looking for a solution and am considering one of these two. Which do you feel offers the best signal? Others on the site have suggested Wilson Electronics for an extender. Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.
12 REPLIES 12

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
With Verizon service when we had 3G we definitely needed a booster/amplifier. With 4G service we only needed to be careful where we placed the Mifi to get the best reception (usually at a window).

We avoid campground WiFi as it is a public network for all intents and purposes and not secure. We only use it when we cannot get a 4G signal. In some cases we have had to hike up to the top of a hill above a campground to get a usable 4G signal and that was enough for us to check email once a day.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
sdianel wrote:
I have both. Jetpack and Wilson Sleek. Work well together.

These are both for cellular signal. Neither are for wifi. The Sleek boosts the signal for the Jetpack.

To OP,
Depends on how valuable your data connection is. You can never count on the CG wifi signal. If is the cheapest. MiFi costs. If you get both, you increase your cost of HW for wifi and data plan as well as your chance of a signal.

HW for a wifi extender ranges from $30 to several hundred.

If you need signal but want to keep data plan costs down, you will want both.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I used to use PdaNet, but my new Droid Turbo is not supported. But, it does have a Hot Spot feature that works well at home. I am just looking for a method to extend the cell signal in those areas that I get a weak signal. I am not sure if the Hot Spot feature on my new phone would give me the same signal strength results as PdaNet did.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been at this for a while and have routinely found that campground Wifi is often unreliable. It only takes one person trying to stream a movie to bring most systems to a grinding halt. This is why I carry both WiFi and Cell 4G.

I use an Alfa AWUS036??? high power for WiFi, and if it is in the county, I can work it. But there is still the campground overload issue. It can be had in several versions (???) but I have had great success with these. The only reason I am on my second is that my SIL borrowed the first.

Using Verizon 4G has pretty good coverage east of the Mississippi. But out in the western states away from an interstate, you may not find much, and it is expensive if you don't buy more bandwidth before you use it. You can use 4G by either using a hotspot app on a smart phone or getting a JetPak. Nothing is cheap.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I have both. Jetpack and Wilson Sleek. Work well together.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned by RoadAbode........Do you have a smartphone that can act as a Wifi hotspot? If so, no reason to buy a Jetpack with another data plan.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:
What is IMHO?

In My Humble Opinion
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
What is IMHO?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
It's best to have both solutions IMHO. If you can get a decent WiFi connection that has decent bandwidth (this is very rare in most CG's) go with it. Otherwise use cellular data on the Jetpack. I have both...
Me Too
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
It's best to have both solutions IMHO. If you can get a decent WiFi connection that has decent bandwidth (this is very rare in most CG's) go with it. Otherwise use cellular data on the Jetpack. I have both...

sch911 has it right. The "pipe" that most campground wifi is connected to is just not made for the 50 or 100 campers who are looking to do anything from check email to remote into their office or watch YouTube - all at the same time. When you DO find good WiFi at a campground, use the extender. When it's sub-par, use the Jetpack or MiFi. Personally I have my phone as a WiFi Hotspot as my backup. I occasionally have to sign into the office to resolve a tech issue. Just watch your data and what type of plan you have. Happy Surfing!
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog

Well... an extender will only do just that - extend a signal that is already present but weak.... But the Jetpak will make its own signal..
pros and cons -
The JetPak will create a secure network... But will also be limited to the providers signal.. I have one and it mostly works well ... If you have a cell signal , you will be able to generate a wifi signal..
It will also carry a monthly data plan with it..
The extender will be a one time fee... but you will not be on a secure network... and is slow more than it is fast most times.

I am sure folks will chime in who know a TON MORE than I.. Those listed above are only my opinions off my knowledge ( what little I have)
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad