cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winegard antenna… what’s it good for?

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all. I just acquired an awesome Class C with this whole setup: Dishnetwork receiver (some VIP series) and auto Winegard antenna (not sure of model but big bubble on top of roof). Can I only use dishnetwork or DirectTV with this antenna, or can I take advantage and use this antenna for local digital stations? I am not looking to buy a subscription (monthly or not) to use Dish or DirectTV at the moment. I cut the cord years ago so can use a ROKU in my trailer or Apple TV for that matter. Just wondering on the digital TV channels is all. I’ve never used one of these things (auto sat dish) before.
2004 Jamboree GT 31W
15 REPLIES 15

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ X2 ^^^^^ However, if you want something under a dome that you can't screw up (did we stow that antenna?), the Winegard Rayzar Automatic is really pretty good. It is NOT omni-directional and you just push a button as each new location and its internal antenna rotates to find the best signal(s) in your area.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
For RV use you just can't beat the Winegard Batwing with the Wingman
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Winegard 360+ and it is not very good at picking up TV stations. It is an omni-directional and has WIFI capabilities, if you buy a $300 router from them.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I never saw where the OP identified the model of the Winegard unit!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
To answer your question, no, the Winegard dome antennas are for satellite reception only and will not pick up the local over the air digital broadcasts. Winegard does make a few over the air antennas that do pick up the local stations, but the domes are not among them.
This is incorrect. I have a new Winegard 360 dome that is OTA only.
Sold on Amazon.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
To answer your question, no, the Winegard dome antennas are for satellite reception only and will not pick up the local over the air digital broadcasts. Winegard does make a few over the air antennas that do pick up the local stations, but the domes are not among them.

This is incorrect. I have the Winegard done on our 5er and it DOES pick up local over the air tv stations wherever we are.

Are you sure this is coming off-air or as a local station broadcast from your satellite feed?

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

This is incorrect. I have the Winegard done on our 5er and it DOES pick up local over the air tv stations wherever we are.
Just say no to the payload police :C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
OTA tv antennas are not that expensive. Winegard makes the Sensar IV (A very good one for RV use) and you can buy assorted antennas at places like Best Buy. Now those (The better ones) are designed to mast mount and you will need to fold them up when traveling (not all that easy but I've done it many times NOT in the RV though) There are ways to put up a mast that are fairly Portable as well. I won't go into detail here but Here is one of 'em. I'd go with a park on base and protect the thing with Pool Noodle plastic where it can "Bang" into the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

vampirefish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much everyone! I was afraid it was just for Dishnetwork. Oh well…. Maybe one day when I retire and full-time RV I’ll pay to use the thing.
2004 Jamboree GT 31W

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard does make a dome for the reception of local OTA TV. It is not the same as a satellite dome and the 2 are not interchangeable but rather purpose specific. It sounds like you have a satellite TV dome which should work with either DirecTV or DISH. There should also be a separate antenna up there for your OTA TV reception. That antenna will likely either be the Batwing style antenna or a disk shaped omni-directional antenna.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most winegard Sat antennas (Big bubble) are compatable with Dish (All modes) and Direc TV (SD only far as I know but this may have changed)

Since you have a DISH receiver.. I'm going to guess it's programmed for DISH.

Best option.. Visit a DISH dealer and park "in the clear" ( Like the middle of a large parking lot) fire up the receiver and the antenna and see if it "locks" (Finds a satellite) you may need the dealer to pop in a new card in the receiver to receive anytyhing other than the Dish "Brag" channel (I think that's 101) or NASA (if it's set for NASA) most everything else is encrypted. That's what the card does (Contains decryption key)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winegard antenna will receive over the air broadcast TV stations 99% of which are digital and free. You then need a digital TV (the only thing sold for many years). If you don't have one, go buy one. A Roku requires an internet connection possibly from a campground WiFi or from a hot spot on a cellular phone. All of these (TV, WiFi, cellular, etc) have to be in range to work.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It appears you can only use it for Dish programming.