cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wingman v/s New Jack Antenna

gjtrafl
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '07 National with the standard Winegard Batman antenna.

My question is where do you get the most bang for your buck... going with the Wingman attachment or would I be better off by replacing to the Jack Antenna?

Costs seem to range from in the $30-$40 range for the wingman and $60-$70 for the Jack.

Looking for a cheap improvement. Any thoughts and experiences?

Thanks!
2006 National Dolphin '36
Wilmington, NC
23 REPLIES 23

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
two-niner wrote:
I have never seen a Jack torn off the roof as a RVer departs the campground.

Yes we have one (Jack) and our HD is the most sharp & clear. If you need to receive a station 100 miles away something is wrong. It's called camping.

Actually, it's called watching TV. Some want to do it and some do not, no matter from how far away the signal is coming.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
two-niner wrote:

Yes we have one (Jack) and our HD is the most sharp & clear. If you need to receive a station 100 miles away something is wrong. It's called camping.

We call it "living". Our coach is our home for most of the year, and our batwing w/Wingman and Sensar Pro regularly pulls in distant stations the Jack can't see. Particularly on the low VHF channels.

And yes, I have seen a Jack ripped off an RV roof, both the direct mounted and the batwing replacement models. In both cases, a raised batwing would have been damaged as well of course. As Jeff said...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
two-niner wrote:

that has to do with stupidity not performance.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sensar Pro max gain is 10dB (20 on the scale). The setting of 10 on the Sensar Pro is 0 amplification (and 0 attenuation). Moving up 1 number from 10 is a gain of 1dB. Moving down 1 number from 10 creates some amount of attenuation with a 0 setting being unusable!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the wingman. I've had this motorhome for 12+ @years, and added the wingman maybe 6 years ago. We are always amazed at how many ota stations we receive.
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Pre-amp technology hasn't changed since then, but the UV degradation of the housing certainly is an issue.

Mark: I think they will tell you they did with the Sensar Pro even though it's not in the head. But it's not a pre-amp, it's a line amp. I don't remember the exact gain at a 15, but that's where I run mine. Anything more kills the TV
Jeff - WA6EQU

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
To the original question, I am hesitant to add a wingman to a 7 year old antenna- I think replacing it with a new Sensar IV head would be the best.
-- Chris Bryant

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Jeff:

It would be very nice if Winegard could replace their current amplifier with an adjustable one that would at least get maximum gain to 15 DBS.

I find that I could keep most of my extra channels on the 100 mile range by tuning gain back to 13 to 15 DBS.

The Razor Air has two bolts to connect to the short mast. On the original longer mast it is necessary to drill an extra hole. Their directions incorrectly list the need of a 9/16th inch drill bit. Hard to find one. I used a 1/2 inch drill bit which ended up the correct size. I expected wiggle the bit for a larger hole but it was not necessary.

I suspect the owner of the one you saw flapping was only installed with one bolt. One bolt can loosen from wind buffeting on a windy day. A second bolt eliminates either bolt from being loosened that way. An option they listed but did not recommend. Also; having the mast slightly lowered from straight vertical (5 to 10 degrees) gets rid of the slight looseness of the shaft when rotated.

Mine seems quit stable on windy day.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
True the Rayzor will pick up more channels but not deep fringe, that takes gain that the Rayzor just doesn't have. My complaint with it was watching it flap like a paddle when i saw one at the beach last year. Its not real aerodynamic when deployed and cross to the wind. Not sure how common that is ?

I'm hiding the analyzer at home to do an Apples to Apples against my Batwing/ Wingman combo. Since so many stations have come and gone, changed antennas and power since the last one, I'll need to do both again.
Jeff - WA6EQU

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I consider "way more fun" being the other campers coming by to ask me how we are getting way more channels than they have to watch. :B

Also; many keep staring at our roof trying to figure out what kind of new antenna we are using (Winegard Razor Air).

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Because your pre-amp is just, and only that. This is way more fun.
Jeff - WA6EQU

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
SCVJeff wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Get the Wingman.

And if you add the Sensar Pro, you'll have the gold standard for RV antennas.

+1
+2

Maybe the "Fool's Gold Standard"

I don't understand your reasoning since my normal range with just a Radio Shack (RIP) $30. in-line amplifier has given me more than double your range on a daily basis for 4 years now. First with the Sensor III plus Wingman, and now with the Winegard Razor Air.

Maybe the rest of you have never learned to think out of the box.

Bill_and_Marie_
Explorer
Explorer
+3