Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 year old tires, but never used

Kyte
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here..

I bought (5) new tires last spring with the intention of mounting them early last summer. But because of house projects, never got to
it. Just now checked the tire date codes. surprise..surprise.

They are MAXXIS ST-205/75 R14 LRC
Date codes:

They average 3.5 to 4 years old. Always stored in doors. Wondering
if I could get 2 to 3 years out of them or should I sell them to a farmer for a hay wagon.

Thanks in advance.
Kyte in NW PA
15 REPLIES 15

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our first trip out we had a blowout. Roadside tire shop only had older tires that had been stored inside... had to use them to keep moving on the trip. 300 miles later BOOM. Sure you might be okay or you might not; if it were my call there would be new tires installed.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Kyte wrote:
Newbie here..

I bought (5) new tires last spring with the intention of mounting them early last summer. But because of house projects, never got to
it. Just now checked the tire date codes. surprise..surprise.

They are MAXXIS ST-205/75 R14 LRC
Date codes:

They average 3.5 to 4 years old. Always stored in doors. Wondering
if I could get 2 to 3 years out of them or should I sell them to a farmer for a hay wagon.

Thanks in advance.
Kyte in NW PA

OK my understanding is that you bought the tires and did not mount them on any wheel correct. They have been stored indoors out of sunlight and away from any weather correct.
With those comsiderations I would agree with parkmanaa and use them but still keep an eye on the tires.
Good luck

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The NHTSA says only that more frequent inspection should be done after 5 years. The NHTSA also states that ozone is the culprit in tire degradation and that occurs whether tires are being used or not. With a lesser brand I would be leery, but with Maxxis I would give them a try and watch them closely in hopes of being able to get some use out of them. I had one set of Maxxis tires that I used 6+ years before they started to fail.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Since they were out of the sun they should be good.
I've got 4 Marathon tires on my boat trailer that are 10 years old. They still hold air, have plenty of tread, and don't have any cracks so I keep running them.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Being Maxxiss I would use them.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If they've been kept out of the sun, I would use them. The sun, ozone, etc, is what kills them.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jtel
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with Dodge guy, but it would still be a good ideal to have them checked out.Blown tires do a LOT of damage.
2006 Sportscoach Encore

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
I dare you to find any with much newer dates, depending on the size of course. My trailer brand new came with 4 year old tires on it. Checked at half a dozen tire dealers, and couldn't find any newer in the quality and price range. Finally went with a set of Michelins, that are one load range higher, after having 1 blow out (It truly was a miracle story, that it didn't tear up my trailer or ruin the aluminum wheel) and 4 separate, I went with the Michelins, higher load range and have not had a problem since. Oh yeah, they were 3 years old new.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Non use and stored indoors? I would use them. Now if they were stored in the backyard exposed to the elements, no!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care what advice you use and what advice don't use, I just
know from 40 years experience many, many failures are blamed on age
that were actually the result of poor maintenance, internal shock
damage that didn't show up on the surface and many other problems.
That's why I say again, go to the people who made the product, the
tire manufacturer, and use their recommendations on age.
40 years in the tire industry; seen it all and done most of it.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Very dangerous and expensive to dispose of.

Send them to me and I will dispose of them for free. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
4yrs old laying around , sell them and buy new ,as for the listing DON,T WORRY ABOUT THEM, ever have a tire blow tear up thousands of dollars of under carriage ?? that would change your thinking.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on how they were stored. If they were in a cool dry place with out a lot of air circulation and not exposed to the sun. I would give them a good visual inspection and use them.
If they were close to electric motors for much of that time I would be hesitant. Motors generate ozone which is a key culprit in breaking down rubber compounds.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do what you want. But as someone who has had to change a 4 year old tire on the side of the road, and then saw the condition of the other 3 when they came off. I wouldn't use them but one year.

Tires dry out from nonuse. Rolling, lubricates the side walls. If they don't roll they dry out. You can take great care of them, keep them covered, and aired up. But if they don't roll. they dry out.
Me. I learned my lesion. My tires were new in 2012. This is their 3rd, and last summer on my TT.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers