Accidentally Put gas in my diesel HELP

AL49er
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally pumped 9GAL of gas in my 2004 new mar that had about
85 GAL of diesel in it. Can i runn this out or drain it? could i
put some lucas oil in it and drive it? Thanks not my day.Or could
add a nother 15 gal of diesel to it. thanks

Thanks to all I will get it pumped out. thinks so much.
48 REPLIES 48

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:
Allworth wrote:
OP?

OP?

For whatever reason, OP chose to edit Post #1 on the thread with his update - having it pumped out.
Those pesky newbies...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
OP?

OP?

For whatever reason, OP chose to edit Post #1 on the thread with his update - having it pumped out.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW I'll bet Marlene wasn't happy about that....

Best advice here was for the OP to call the engine mfr and ask the question. As mowermech says, not all diesels would be affected but some would.

ScottG, you are missing the point that the OP has a 2004 Class A with a commercial diesel in it and a huge 100-gal fuel tank. Yes, you are 100% correct on the new light truck diesels that are being squeezed by EPA emissions requirements and and very sensitive to anything but diesel. A 2004 likely to be much more tolerant and also the diesel to gas ratio is very low given the tank size. I would bet that he would be OK, but would need to talk to the engine mfr to validate that.

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
i add a l0 gallons to my tank in winter when im worried about my fuel gelling just add qt of oil and go on

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did exactly the same thing several years ago on our way home from wintering in Florida except I filled an almost empty tank. After fueling, I pulled around to the parking area and went in to get my receipt. I noticed that it had the wrong price and then I noticed that it said gas and not diesel. :E Went back and looked at the pump and sure enough, I had put gasoline in and not diesel fuel! Evidently the short running of the engine did not do any damage as my truck now has 260,000 miles and is still running strong.

I called Good Sam and 35 minutes later they had my truck on a flatbed and took me about 30 miles away to a shop that drained my tank, cleaned the lines, and sent me on my way back to the Flying J to get the trailer and a proper tank of fuel.

It was a good, expensive lesson (the cost of a tank of gasoline, the repairs and fuel to get back to the trailer), and then another tank of diesel. The tow was free.) and one I hope to never repeat.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure the OP has run screaming from this thread by now.......... ๐Ÿ˜•
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why you trust any answer you get on here.Every one will give an opinion or answer they got from some else who was only giving their opinion. Call who ever made your engine and get the right answer!!!!!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
considering my experience with multi-fuel trucks in the Army, I get a little chuckle out of the doom and gloom answers here.
Those 6 cylinder diesels were made to run on nearly anything that would flow through a pipe and burn, EXCEPT 115/145 Avgas.
Since the Army did not have the infra-structure set up to deliver diesel to all units, we burned 80 octane mo-gas in the deuce and a half. It ran just fine, and did no damage.
However, I have also seen the damage done to a 4-53 Detroit Diesel in a forklift when some dingbat filled the truck with gasoline. the fuel pump handled it just fine, but the unit injectors were destroyed.
The point of all this, of course, is that blanket statements can always be proven wrong! Not ALL diesel engines will fail if run on gasoline, but SOME certainly will!
It isn't my vehicle, so I don't care, but if it WAS mine, it would go NOWHERE until the tank and fuel system were cleared of all gasoline!
To quote many people on these forums, "It is just cheap insurance!"
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
No chance would I even start it.
Have it towed and have the tank drained and cleaned...Ya, it will cost you, but it will be chump change in comparison to the cost of a new or rebuilt motor.

Just not worth it.

Best response so far!!!! Never drive a diesel powered vehicle when tank accidentally filled with gasoline! Ask a qualified diesel mechanic! Those of you that subscribe to driving it, please post your credit card #, so that he can charge the subsequent repairs to you!!!

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP?

OP?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
CRCR................To give you my $0.02 worth...........I had a 1994 5.9 Cummins, I bought, and being a 2 wheel drive Dually , in Northern Mi...I would only drive it April thru Oct,Nov.

I would PUT a FULL tank of Diesel in it, and let it sit, Nov, Dec,Jan..etc...........and it would Start right up, every spring no problems.

When Hauling with it, I tried many different types of additives, and I found a Slight better feel, with Power Service the ( White bottle) but mileage was hard to say, because I haul Many different size Trailers, in many diff types of comditions , wind, mountains, East cost, North , etc.....

Thats my Real world Experience .:W

Bfast54, thanks! From what I have read, the white bottle of Power Service is recommended for winter driving, is it not? I thought the grey bottle of Power Service Diesel Kleen is recommended for summer. I live in Southern AZ, so we have no real cold weather period. The most we have is maybe 1, 2, 3 times in the dead of winter, we have a very light frost overnight. Summers, well, insanely hot (which of course is why we escape to the pines at 7700' frequently in summer :).

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
Used to run 25 gals gas in my truck I carreid 300 gal diesel it kept the fuel from geling in alaska

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
K3WE wrote:

I guess the question is what damage would running too much gas cause (I'm thinking it's mostly a fuel pump lubrication issue)..

define too much gas. What ratio of gas to diesel will effect the diesel?

IMHO 9 gallons in 85 will not do it. I would guess that there will be less change than the switch to ultra low sulfur fuels.

This thread is about misfueling a diesel, not my abilities as a mechanic, or what I have learned about fuels. What you see posted under my name is my opinion nothing more nothing less.

are your posts anything more ?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your question get answer from Cat:

Clicky