cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Age Limit on Used RV?

Darian
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking at a trailer (either fifth wheel or travel) that is affordable - and, by extension, used. I see some great looking trailers that I could outright pay for, however they are anywhere between 2004 and 2014...

Obviously, a 2004 trailer would be 12 years old - how old is too old? I'm okay with replacing some things and plan to do some "remodeling" (aka, paint, maybe floor... do some DIY upholstery changes...) but I do NOT want a junker or something that has to have important things like piping, wiring redone.

I've been watching a lot of "what to look fors" when rv shopping and definitely will be checking, but is there a point where a trailer is just "too old"? Or is it well and dandy to get one that's been broken in?
18 REPLIES 18

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
When you are talking about newer rigs that you can afford outright, remember you often get what you pay for. My RV mechanic told me that some brands of RV's are keeping his kids in college as they are so predictably bad and others he rarely sees.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen fairly new RV's where the owner did basically nothing to maintain them, and they were JUNK

Some RV parks ask the age of your rig, 10+ years they don't want you in their lot (I assume they have so much business they do not need mine so I don't park there, And that goes back to before this RV was 10 MONTHS old).

A friend who should be returning to GA shortly has a beautiful Blue Bird Bus, well maintained it looks every bit as good as one just a few years old that was once parked next to it so we could easily compare.. IT's over 25 years old. Oh yes, he has a bit of a problem finding some parts (and an easy time with others) and he's had a few age releated issues, but inside and out that bus is BEAUTIFUL, in fact there is a publication that features high-end Motor homes.. Yup, last year they toured his rig with cameras and published it (As close as I'll ever get)

My own 11 year old rig gets complements on it's appearance. (I wash and wax from time to time)

My advice is to go over it. If you find soft spots in the floor (Both the 1st floor and the 2nd (roof) floor) if you find places where paint is pealing, or where wall paper or siding is "Bubbled" and de-lamanating, If things do not work (Any things) if you see problems of any kind.. Walk on and do not buy (unless it is a very simple problem YOU yourself can fix)

If the thing looks like it is sitting on the showroom floor (like Wendall's BB) GO FOR IT.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My last 2 motorhomes were 10 years old when I purchased them. First lasted me 9 years before selling it, second lasted 19 years (just sold it last month)! I just bought a 12 year old Class A...super clean, well maintained, and only 26K miles. Condition, condition, condition.

That said, financing gets more difficult once you reach the 10 year mark.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, condition is more important than age.....with that being said when we were looking at trailers, we didn't want anything older than 10 years.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is all about maintenance. My soon to be 9 year old Alpenlite is in generally great shape. 7 seasons of use. Many miles. Many nights use but constant maintenance & many meaningful upgrades such as 2kw PURE sine wave inverter charger. Upgraded springs. Alignment system. Re engineered spring hanger areas. Much more. No, it is NOT for sale but I sure would look for one that the owner has invested in real upgrades over a newer one with nothing done.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
Maintenance, storage, and mileage are far more important than age. In my book, a well maintained, previously owned unit is preferable to a brand new unit. Nothing better than buying a nice RV from a veteran RV owner who knew how to maintain it and has already gotten all of the bugs out.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with an older leak free unit is the decals. I think I'm going to remove mine a section at a time and paint the straight decals. Eternabond it right away to keep it leak free. Water is the enemy. I bought my TT new and my MH used. Money wise, I have about 1-2 years of depreciation of a new one in mine.

I suggest you look on Ebay to get an idea of actual values.

I remember those Apache plastic popups. Growing up we had a Scamper with the blue vinyl cloth. I think there would be a market for a smaller Apache style unit with the solid plastic sides.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
In the words of Indiana Jones, "it's not the age,,, it's the mileage". As everyone has already noted, the maintenance on any purchase is what's important. That said,,,, plastic or ABS items do have a shelf life and tend to get brittle over time. I had an old 70's Apache pop up that you couldn't touch without having to make an ABS repair.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
two classes of units........... "Lite" and Standard.

Lite is made with lite parts and pieces and do not stand the pace of time well.

last year I purchased a nice clean and dry 10 year old Standard trailer.. and lived in it for 4 months this past winter in South Carolina.. no problems.
also used it One weekend a month all summer, and Plan to do 5 month this winter down south.. and expect no trouble...

older standard trailers are HEAVY.. for a reason. my 30 foot is 8,300 pounds with 1 slide-out. and was a Own owner unit.

Yes the shine on the outside is not so shiny ... and decals are cracked and faded. they are not what makes a strong trailer.
the inside looks New, but original.. so OLDER style.

all appliances inside are also 2004/2005 units and Work correctly.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on financing each bank has different age restrictions. Is there a worse investment on the planet? Pay cash. Save if you have to. I know it's unAmerican. Some RV's are junk from the day they leave the asembly line. Others can last many years depending on care. Whatever yo8u buy have it gone over by an independant service center. Money well spent IMHO.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
8-10 years or older could be a problem with financing, if that is a concern. My bank does not do loans on an RV over 8 yrs old.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any RV needs maintenance (including the occasional repair), and generally speaking older ones do need a little more maintenance than newer ones...but many tasks apply to all.

As others have said, condition is far more important than outright age. There are a few things that wear out and need replacement just due to age, such as tires and LP/CO/smoke detectors, but they're the exceptions rather than the rule. I'd rather have a twelve year old RV that's been well cared for than a three year old one that's been neglected.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
After reading your one other post about setting it up on property to live in, you should not be concerned with wiring and plumbing other than to have it filled up, check the pumps stay charged and there is no leaks, tanks and dump valves work.

But the most important thing always is the roof and the seams and openings. If a rig is maintained, you should be able to go into it in a pounding rainstorm and feel the walls. They should feel dry. Keep feeling all around every place you can reach with your hands, under every window, roof opening, wall edge.

If you have been reading this forum you will now know which models are highly respected, and which ones tend to have more problems with construction. Weight per foot of length is often a good indication of quality, wall thickness, and strength. Compare weight, then look at top models compared to less expensive models so you know the difference.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Age doesn't necessarily mean anything. As other's have said, it's the condition of the RV.

Remember the song, "The older the violin, the sweeter the music." Click here!