cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blind spots & washing your RV

SRQ_Suzanne
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to RVing. I have trouble in gas stations getting close enough to the pump. I have a 34' motorhome and am towing a Jeep. I have a rear view camera, which doesn't hep at all; and my side mirrors only show the sides of the RV behind the front wheels. How can I better judge my distance in front of the wheels between my RV and barriers. Last time I got gas, my awning strut got caught on a concrete post alongside the pump. I couldn't go forward, and couldn't back up - my worst nightmare. I had no choice but to disconnect the Jeep. However, it was at an angle to the RV, and it took two men, myself rocking the Jeep forward and backward an inch at a time, and a crowbar to get the hitch removed from the ball. I thought I was going to be stuck there! Is there any after-market side camera system I could purchase; or is there another way to resolve this issue. I need help fast before my next trip!

Also, is there a place I can take my motorhome to be washed - where do commercial/recreational vehicles go for a quick wash when traveling? Many campgrounds do not allow for washing your RV. Do truckstops along major highways provide this service?
11 REPLIES 11

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
Always take it slow. You may irritate someone to the point they yell at you, but in the end YOU are the one who has to drive the rig safely.

It can be difficult at times, I know, but don't let anyone or anything rattle your nerve.

All of us mess up. That's why they invented tow trucks!

Last year I tried to get fuel and ended up having to back my 28ft TT out of the pump island. I could not make the turn to get out. I got irritated for a minute, then I just remembered the two little boys in the back seat and my wife in the passenger seat. I sat there for a minute to calm down and very slowly backed the way I had come in. I had to back right out into the highway. Luckily it wasn't too busy.

You may want to look into a training course.

Hereis one with location in Sarasota, Florida although they say "closed for summer".

Good luck.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to block or slow down traffic for any reason with my camper "except" when I'm eyeballing an approach to a gas station. I slow to a crawl and really take a close look at the pumps and any obstacles such as posts and canopies. All the while thinking about my exit strategy.

Always stay as far away as possible to the pumps (as far as the hose allows) to give you max swing room.

If I'm not sure I continue to a gas station with better access.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
The gas fill on Mobi our 27 foot C is on the driver's side. I know after driving for 7 years how far past the pump I have to drive to be in the correct position for the fuel fill.

But the first trip of each year I have to remember and double check. We do not tow, so that is not an issue.

We wash Mobi in the driveway. Our dealer has an oversized wand car wash for RV's that we can use too. Then there are some gas stations in communities with lots of Rvers that can accommodate big rigs.

Lastly you can check out truck washes.

You can always attach a ribbon to your gas intake and look for it in your side view mirror. Discovered this trick when I was driving down the road and saw a lanyard with keys attached out one of the side view mirrors.

General tips:
Drive off the top half of your fuel tank. You have more options when you are not running out of fuel.
Look for gas stations with easy access and wide turning areas.
Look for gas stations where you can easily get back on the main road the correct direction.
Look for gas stations with no canopy or a really high canopy, know your height in feet and metres.
Ask for help if needed. I bought propane at a Co-op gas station in Airdie Alberta, you had to back into the spot. I was okay with backing up as long as I had a spotter.

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
The thing. I do is if a 18 wheeler can make it I can. HaPpy camping

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
And the following link will really help you out: RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1. Watch all seven parts!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Suzanne,
You have more answers on your other post: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26903977.cfm
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as I get close to the fuel island my CEO/Navigator gets out to provide a second set of eyes to insure I don't take out any pumps, vehicles, or pedestrians.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good input above.

You've already learned an important lesson about making sure you first have adequate clearance before proceeding and not only fuel stations but RV parks and neighborhood streets etc. Survey before you go into any location. Also waiting for a outside fuel pump may give better access.

Many truck stops have RV lanes which usually have more room and may have propane and dump available.

Buy the National Truck Directory which lists RV access etc. Over 6,000 locations.

You're going to have more situations with your tow bar not releasing. Been there done that. Consider one like the Roadmaster All Terrain that is designed for much easier release at all angles.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe learn to swing real wide when turning....as wide as you can.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Use the same method you use to determine if you're on your own side of the highway which is just plane good judgment. If you can't do it at a gas station when sitting almost still how can you do it on the road where it's MUCH more important?
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Go to any auto parts store and buy a convex blind spot mirror that glues to your regular mirror.

Many truck stops also have truck washing services. Also, many RV parks will allow a commercial firm to wash your RV on the premises. Some bring their own water. I suspect others may pay the owner/manager a small fee to use the parks' water.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch