cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying first RV

Stephanie21
Explorer
Explorer
We are seriously considering purchasing a class a or class c RV, about 28'. We currently have a 28' travel trailer, but feel since we are older an RV would be used more often just going overnight to visit kids, etc. etc.
So, looking at a class c, but class A sure has nice visibility. More leg room for the driver.
We are currently looking at a used 2003 Tioga 28R DSO. Definitely want a slide out. Price is right and if we decided we didn't like an RV it is not that expensive of an investment. Has anyone here had this model and any problems??? Not sure we would tow a car, possibly. Thank you for your comments... suggestions!
10 REPLIES 10

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
We have been doing the RV thing since '69. We like the Class A because of the larger tanks. We can sit for a week with showers daily and all other water use, before we have to refill or dump. We have had TT, popups, c's and A's. The current A gives the best gas mileage of any previous ones. If you keep a C long enough it will leak in the cabover. We are keeping ours as long as we can still use it. We are 75 & 78 and still get around OK.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Audioa_fan
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our Class A in early November. But we looked seriously at some class C's early in the fall. We were making the leap from years of pop-up camping and I thought the gradual change from that to a class C made sense. But I didn't particularly like any of the units I looked at. The ones with the entertainment systems above the cab were the most appealing since our kids are grown now. But ultimately we took the plunge to a class A. I didn't feel like we could get as much for our money with a class C but I only researched that option for a few weeks. I'm certain others may have a different opinion. In the end we found the right unit for us and I'm very pleased with our Ambassador.
We love the camping lifestyle.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Which is best depends on your needs.
"C's" top out at about 31' and 14,000 pounds. A "c' that big would have a ton or rear overhang and not a lot of carrying capacity. But it would camp real good, have all the extra's, and room to sleep 4-6 or even 8.

"A's" start at about 30' and 18,000 pounds, and go (way)up from there. Most "a's" are built for 2, though there is always a convertible bed or 2. A's typically have goodies like generators, sometimes inverters, leveling jacks, and of course that view out of the huge windshield.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
We went through the same thing and just traded in our TT for a Class A after looking at everything and thinking for years about the pros and cons. We decided on a Class A rather than a Class C because we didn't need or want the bed overhead and loved the layout of our unit. That is what a lot of people will tell you. Find a unit whose layout you love! Happy 2014
Jo, Elliott, Cloey and Zoey, Havanese sisters
who JUST bought a Georgetown 328TS Class A and will be towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have some 'elderly' neighbors that are probably in their 80's now.. Been our neighbors (at the end of our street) since we moved into our house 15 years ago.

15 years ago, they had about a 30' TT pulled with a Chevy crew cab dually.

Couple of years later, they got about the same length 5th wheel towed with the same dually.

Couple more years later, they got a Class A. Towed their new Chevy Colorado behind it.

Couple of years later, they got a Class C. Still towed the Colorado behind it.

Couple of years later, they got a Class B. Still towed the Colorado behind it.

Well, last year, while towing the Colorado, it caught on fire! They have no idea how it occured, just that it burned to the ground and melted the back of the Class B a little bit..

Today, they have a brand new 1500 Chevy Silverado and are towing a 25' TT...

For the last 12 years I've been towing the same 22' TT with the same 1997 F150.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, I can't really help you with what to do, but I do know that the next RV I would like to get if I had the means will be a Class A.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stephanie21 wrote:
We are seriously considering purchasing a class a or class c RV, about 28'. We currently have a 28' travel trailer, but feel since we are older an RV would be used more often just going overnight to visit kids, etc. etc.
So, looking at a class c, but class A sure has nice visibility. More leg room for the driver.
We are currently looking at a used 2003 Tioga 28R DSO. Definitely want a slide out. Price is right and if we decided we didn't like an RV it is not that expensive of an investment. Has anyone here had this model and any problems??? Not sure we would tow a car, possibly. Thank you for your comments... suggestions!

I did the same thing that you are talking about, just wanted something within a budget, with plenty of leg room and all in a Class C. I found it in a Chevy Based Class C.

You can read about it in the Clickies in my signature or CLICK HERE
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't need the bed up above and climbing up more stairs getting in the rv is not a issue for your health (knees), then I would consider the class a. While there are some c's that you can get with the entertainment center in the place where the overhead bunk usually is, most of them have that bed there of course if you are planning on grandkids going with you, then that bed space is good to have. Class c's generally sit lower to the ground and normally have less steps to get into.

Class a's captain chairs normally swivel and are usable space. Most class c's are not. You will also generally get more outdoor storage with a class a. If it was just wife and I, we would have a class a.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to clarify. You do know that your travel trailer is an RV as well. So just don't go to the RV store and ask to see RVs. Specify Motorhomes. Or there is no telling what they will show you.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you really don't need the overhead bed, there are options. We had one with the entertainment center over the cab, and liked the ability to see upward when cruising the mountains.

Check out this option http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2004_JAYCO+GRANITE+RIDGE_2900GS_202228076
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume that C has a bed at floor level and you won't have to climb up into an upper overhead bed?
bumpy